Lightroom, 2 computers

InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Finishing School
I've got LR2 on my desktop and laptop.

Right now, I've set it up so that the photos are on an external RAID setup connected to the desktop, which has its own catalog. The External drive is shared of course.

Now, on the laptop, I did some edits, but the photos are not showing up as changed on the desktop. I want to figure out how photos edited in one or the other catalog show up changed on the other computer.

Also, I've got something like 17,000+ photos on the external drive. Is there a faster way to create a catalog on the laptop? It will take hours and hours to create a catalog on the laptop. Can I just open up the primary catalog on the laptop and wallah, all the photos are there? I'm not sure though, since the desktop's file paths would be different than the laptop, which is running though the network.

Comments

• geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    The edits are stored in the LR Catalog.

If you had the catalog on the shared drive, using the same paths on the desktop and laptop, that might work.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I tried to move the lightroom catalog from my desktop, to the shared drive. However, when I attempted to open it, lightroom said that it couldn't open it as it was on a network drive or a volume that lighroom could not share changes.

Did I try your solution the wrong way, or might there be another solution?

What does checking the use XMP option do? I tried clicking that on both programs, thinking that it would affect the RAW file rather than just storing the things in the catalog, but it didn't seem to do anything.

EDIT: Now I see actually that perhaps the XMP change did work. A photo that was edited on the desktop last night shows up with the edits on the laptop, however, it is possible that I "imported" the file into the latops catalog after the editing was done. More testing is needed.
  • geralds34geralds34 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Most of the docs say LR does not support networked installs.

You may want to export the catalog, and then move it.
    Create a couple small catalogs to play/test with.

http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/2008/friday-video-moving-between-laptop-and-desktop/