The Olympics from Hurricane Ridge

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Landscapes
Spent a day at Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park and shot it at sunset and sunrise for the first time (my previous visits were in the day without a camera). Definitely need to head back to this place, and it's really close to Seattle (compared to the beaches and rain forest).

I think I got better deer photos than landscapes though, here's the deer thread: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=136104

#1:

583243915_uFLyP-L.jpg

#2:

583235884_F9j9r-L.jpg

#3:

583248336_5igic-L.jpg

#4:

583261456_cQJuE-L.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Stunning vistas! The alpenglow is to die for up there, isn't it? A suggestion...perhaps darkening the sky and mountain tops a bit would really bring more of the beautiful color out. What do you think?
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Wonderful shots. I love Hurricane Ridge. Did you go hiking on any of the trails while you were up there?

I agree with the critique. If you could darken the skies a bit and even increase the saturation, they'd be all that much better.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Wonderful shots. I love Hurricane Ridge. Did you go hiking on any of the trails while you were up there?

I agree with the critique. If you could darken the skies a bit and even increase the saturation, they'd be all that much better.

Yeah, I did the Hurricane Hill trail (awesome views), and the little trails near the visitor center (no more than a mile round trip) trying to scout for locations. I ultimately decided that near the visitor center had the best possibilities because of the foreground elements. I didn't go on any of the longer trails or on Obstruction Point road, maybe next time.

I agree with you and Mahesh that #1 and #4 could benefit from a darker sky, and they could all use a saturation boost. My post-processing skills got exponentially worse as I tried to blister through all the photos from the weekend without getting sufficient sleep. There's probably a lesson in there somewhere...

I forgot to mention, as I was leaving Hurricane Ridge at sunrise I saw two gorgeous black bears (not cubs, but not adults either) cross the road. My gear was all packed up so I couldn't take any photos, but they were awesome. And unlike most black bears I've seen in the wild, these ones were actually black and not brown.