Options

I'm new, took some photos in Thailand, what do you think?

stirlsilverstirlsilver Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Journeys
Hi All, yep my first post. I have been photographing now for 3 months or so and I've been practising any chance I can get. I recently went to thailand for business and made sure to put some time aside to take some photos of the amazing sites. Below is a handful of shots.

I would appreciate any tips or suggestions, it's the only way to learn!!

The rest of the photos are here:
http://stirlsilver.smugmug.com/gallery/8551040_z5uGq#563206886_D76ED

On the flight there, I am so happy about this photo:
563206886_D76ED-L.jpg
After about 5 hours on the flight I was having serious problems dealing with my boredom. I was on the emergency exit (I'm 6'1" so it's really a must!). I took a walk and peered out side the emergency exit window to see what was out there... trying to develop a photography eye I noticed the red strobing of the aircraft lighting up the wing. So I figured I needed to give a photo a go... It took 5 attempts for me to get it... it involved 2 pillows stuffed on the top and bottom of the camera and a bulb exposure of 70 seconds... holding it by hand... I was barely breathing while exposing this shot. I wonder what the passengers were thinking while I was doing all of this...??

First ride in a tuk tuk!:
563207260_AddZz-L.jpg
I didn't actually intend to end up on a tuk tuk because I had caught a cab to the grand palace to take some photos... but a guy in a uniform stopped me from going in and told me it was closed until 12 (or something like that). And he suggested I do a round trip of some other tourist attractions to come back when it was open... He arranged a tuk tuk for me and everything... I later realised it was a scam... I ended up going to the other sites via stops to tailors and jewelry shops!

I took this photo just after I got on... you can see how i'm holding the camera in the mirror... I was wondering if I was going to die!!

The grand palace, some amazing buildings:
563394409_6jRRM-L.jpg
This place was crawling with tourists... but it is no wonder, the buildings are so rich with colour and texture. The roofs were even interesting... I took heaps of photos here, if you follow the link you will see them. One of the challenges I faced was getting nice photos without any other tourists in it spoiling the shot.

My attempt at some abstract photography:
563396772_VVPeK-L.jpg
Here is a perfect example of the texture of the buildings... they were all like this, mosaics, sculptures, colour, gold, gold and even more gold... you could spend hours here with a camera.

563405425_5Lbni-L.jpg
I like these sorts of photos, this is a photo, of a demons tail. I purposly positioned the camera so that the mirror in the tail showed something white rather than in colour... I think it makes it a focus point.

Plenty of gold!:
563419434_ofLKG-L.jpg
It's amazing... the golden building isn't painted in gold paint but is actually a mosaic of gold pieces, it is such an unbelievable thing to see. The photo doesn't really do the justice.

Golden mountain... I should have waited for the girl to have gotten out of the frame...:
563434503_8eokY-L.jpg
Another one of the tourist attractions I visited this was taken as I was going up the moutain to the temple at the top. There is lots of bells which you are supposed to ring as you pass them. The reason I like this photo is because the dark bells contrast with the bright flowers... I am really annoyed I didn't notice the girl iin the shot though...

Trying to get some feeling in the shot:
564383334_Fdhnw-L.jpg
Locals in thailand are interesting in any regard. The way of life there is quite different, whether it is people getting around selling food off BBQ's on motorbikes, motorbike stalls selling stuffed animals or people who simply walk up and down the beach to sell things to the tourists there. This photo was taken as the sun was starting to set. I suppose this woman was tired after a long day and simply needed a break.

Long exposure:
564390818_DLiNT-L.jpg
The beach was floodlit which at night ended up with quite a nice effect. It was very windy and hazy so I had trouble getting any nice long exposure photos. Here I had actually gone to all the hassle of setting up a tripod to do the long exposure shot... because it was the wet season, it always wants to rain so I was trying to do this shot while trying to save my camera from getting too wet!

Something you don't expect to find on the beach:
566225564_ZiUd4-L.jpg
Unfortunately while this photo is one of my favorites it is only one piece of rubbish that is littered on the beach. Sadly it seems this way in most asian countries where people just don't look after their environment. I was simply walking down the beach when I stubled on this interesting piece of pollution.

I would love any comments, tips and advise. I enjoy the photography and want to keep improving. Thanks all!

Stirling

Comments

• Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    A lightbulb on the beach, huh? nice!

I like your set! Especially the first one when you were flying to Thailand!

But, I think written stories would help elaborate your visit there!
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    stirlsilverstirlsilver Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    A lightbulb on the beach, huh? nice!

I like your set! Especially the first one when you were flying to Thailand!

But, I think written stories would help elaborate your visit there!

Hi Moogle, thanks for your advice. I've followed your suggestion and quickly typed up some info to elaborate on the shots.