Rocky Rainier

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited July 8, 2009 in Landscapes
My friend and I arrived at Mt. Rainier around 7:45 PM and had to hike very quickly to get to a decent location a few miles down the trail before sunset. As the sun dropped in the sky I looked around desperately for a good composition. I ended up hiking about 200 yards off-trail to a pretty good looking spot on a hill.
The feeling of having this place to yourself with absolute silence is quite incredible.

During the hike back to the car, the moon was so bright that I didn't even need to use my headlamp!

Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 17-40L

583423856_tDd8E-XL-1.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Awesome! I'll say you found a good spot! Love that incredible detail and texture of the FG. Oh, and the mountain isn't bad either. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    15524779-Ti.gif

The foreground really makes this shot, imo.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Great shot, love the rocks in the foreground. It's always fun getting to a sunset spot when you have no time (even more fun at sunrise, especially when you're at a new spot and you can't see where the hell you're going because it's dark).
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Awesome! I'll say you found a good spot! Love that incredible detail and texture of the FG. Oh, and the mountain isn't bad either. :D

Thanks, Mahesh! When is that mountain ever bad looking?
    I was hoping to get to a spot where Rainier could be more easily seen but I kind of like how it's just peaking over the ridge.
    edited July 6, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

The foreground really makes this shot, imo.

Thank you!
  • scolescole Registered Users Posts: 378 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I agree with everyone else's comments about the comp & FG rocks. Real nice. My only concern is that the ridgeline overpowers Mt Rainier in the comp..
    edited July 6, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Great shot, love the rocks in the foreground. It's always fun getting to a sunset spot when you have no time (even more fun at sunrise, especially when you're at a new spot and you can't see where the hell you're going because it's dark).

I'm glad the rocks work for you. Originally, I considered having a patch of snow as my foreground but it was pretty boring. I then headed up the hill and liked the barren, lifeless look of the landscape from there so I tried several different positions until I found some rocks that I liked.

I'm almost always in a hurry to get to locations for sunset so I know exactly what you're talking about.
    edited July 6, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Gorgeous

I'm glad you like it!
    edited July 6, 2009
    scole wrote:
    I agree with everyone else's comments about the comp & FG rocks. Real nice. My only concern is that the ridgeline overpowers Mt Rainier in the comp..

I'm glad you like it! I wish I had given myself a little more time to scout out compositions but as I mentioned in my response to Mahesh, I kind of like how this turned out. It gives a little sense of the giant that looms just beyond the ridge.
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    The foreground REALLY makes this shot. Love the composition and lighting. Nice...

Cheers,