Lunar starscape

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 8, 2009 in Landscapes
So many of you dedicated landscape photographers have been busy over the weekend hiking and shooting! I hope I can catch up and hold a candle to some of the great work in here from the last few days. :ivar For now, here's our 4th of July show. Star trails at 12,000 feet in the Bristlecone Pine Forest of the Eastern Sierras:

583217381_zo7tZ-L.jpg

Absolutely no bristlecones were harmed or even featured in the making of this shot. :lol3

We wanted to get to the other side of the mountain in time to spot the fireworks that were undoubtedly going on down the valley in Bishop, but the road didn't cooperate and we ended up joining a couple of hikers we met in Patriarch Grove for some warmth at their fire, camera chat, and wine.

Hope to get a chance to sort through the rest soon. And of course, that everyone had a safe and happy holiday weekend! Or a safe and happy regular weekend, if you're not Stateside. :thumb

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    Great looking shot, Schmoo! You made your own fireworks. thumb.gif Aside from being moonlit, it looks like a moonscape. Is that a B&W conversion or an IR?

The eastern Sierras are great. I need to spend some time there soon. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Great looking shot, Schmoo! You made your own fireworks. thumb.gif Aside from being moonlit, it looks like a moonscape. Is that a B&W conversion or an IR?

The eastern Sierras are great. I need to spend some time there soon. nod.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    Thanks, Joel! No, I don't have IR anything yet, which is painful when you have daylight hours free to shoot. lol3.gif This is just a RAW conversion into b/w. I find that moonlit scapes have an odd color cast to them so I prefer to convert to grayscale.

And yeah, up that high barely anything grows. Definitely worth the trek! There's so much to see around there, it's no wonder so many of the great landscape photographers set up shop within a stone's throw. lol3.gif
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Love this shot! I'm a huge fan of star trails and this one is lovely. Great comp also, with the path leading us to the sky and beyond. In fact, the path seems to be just another star trail on the ground.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Sweet shot.
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Nice shot. At 12,000 ft, I don't think I can breath and think clearly to shoot.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    schmoo wrote:

Absolutely no bristlecones were harmed or even featured in the making of this shot. lol3.gif

Were you not breathing and sucking up all their oxygen?rolleyes1.gif
    Like the image Schmoo, very well composed.
  • dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I like it. How long was this exposure?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Great shot. I love the comp, the long trails, and the fact that you did it in b&w. clap.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Really nice work and I think the black and white really works for this type of image. I was planning on taking this type of shot over the weekend but I ended up feeling too lazy to follow through.
  • wendellwendell Registered Users Posts: 308 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Great shot schmoo. If not for the road or path, I would say it looks "other worldly."
    wendell:s85
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    I agree that Black and White works really well here. Well done!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    dkoyanagi wrote:
    I like it. How long was this exposure?
    clik the exif link on the pic (folded white corner)eek7.gif

Schmoo.....really well done.clap.gifclapclap.gifthumbthumb.gifthumbbowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Awesome! I agree with Danny, the B&W really works on this shot, and the comp is excellent too.
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Cool stuff. I love b and w.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Thanks, all! I never got to see what this place looked like with real light so b/w is an easy way to just get over that obstacle lol3.gif
    Were you not breathing and sucking up all their oxygen?

Whoops! I suppose that's right, hehehe. We're both disappointed that we arrived about 1/2 hour too late to catch those trees with the sweet light on them, but what a beautiful place. :D

The day after we stopped in at Mountain Light gallery, where the folks there said to tell you hello!
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Excellent shot Schmoo. Love the monochromatic look....

Cheers,