Canon EF-S 17-85MM f4-5.6 IS USM

jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
edited July 6, 2009 in Cameras
Hi there...just curious if anyone has the same issues with this lens and/or knows if there is a way to fix it?

This is the kit lens that came with my Canon 40D that was purchased almost 2 years ago. It's always been this way from day one, however being a newbie I thought it just was the way it was supposed to be and never thought at the time to bring it back and get it replaced, fixed, etc.

When the lens is on the camera pointing downwards the lens zoom ring slips and extends on its own (and not in a smooth action either...it pretty violantly snaps down as if there was no friction at all to hold it back). Is there any way of tightening this up? Even on a tripod if I need to tilt the camera beyond 45 degrees up or down the lens will slip...very frustrating!!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

John

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    Since your lens is out of warranty you would have to send the lens in at your expense. More than likely there are things that could be done but it would not be a cheap repair. (I am guessing 1/3 the cost of the lens or a little more.)

A long time ago, people used to use a large rubber band, sometimes made from an inner tube section, to help control zoom creep. That might be an inexpensive work-a-round for you.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • jm94085jm94085 Registered Users Posts: 122 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy...yeah I'll have to check back with Keeble & Shuchat where I bought the camera and see if we can't work out some sort of deal on getting it repaired?

Now on my wish list is for Canon to deliver a fast (f2.8) version of this in an "L" series with a locking mechanism.

I would consider their 24-70L but that doesn't seem to cover quite enough on the wide end for a walk around lens considering the crop factor of my 40D? 17-85 in my opionion would be a perfect lens to complement a few primes and a longer zoom or telephoto.

Oh well I can keep wishing :-)

Cheers,
    John
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    That has always been a problem with this lens.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 6, 2009
    jm94085 wrote:
    ... Now on my wish list is for Canon to deliver a fast (f2.8) version of this in an "L" series with a locking mechanism.

The Canon EF-S 17-55mm, f/2.8 IS USM is an almost perfect standard zoom for the Canon crop 1.6x cameras. Any longer and the front element would be enormous and heavy (or you would loose the constant aperture), and the image quality would probably suffer as well.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    jm94085 wrote:
    Thanks Ziggy...yeah I'll have to check back with Keeble & Shuchat where I bought the camera and see if we can't work out some sort of deal on getting it repaired?

Now on my wish list is for Canon to deliver a fast (f2.8) version of this in an "L" series with a locking mechanism.

I would consider their 24-70L but that doesn't seem to cover quite enough on the wide end for a walk around lens considering the crop factor of my 40D? 17-85 in my opionion would be a perfect lens to complement a few primes and a longer zoom or telephoto.

Oh well I can keep wishing :-)

Cheers,
    John

I went with the 24-70 and the 10-22 to replace my 17-85.wings.gif