First Thought on DSS#29

KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
edited July 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
There's no reshoot possibility on this one but wanted to hear your thoughts.

Swan Lake - Lyrics Here

584011786_PVro7-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
— Kevin
Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Hi Kevin..

Awesome Capture.. I would mask in a few of those tall reeds of grass on the right so that the composition can "flow", and that one on the swan's tail on the left..

Other than that.. simply gorgeous and it fits your title to the "T" thumb.gif

Beautiful Photoiloveyou.gif

Kat
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 6, 2009
    Hi Kevin..

Awesome Capture.. I would mask in a few of those tall reeds of grass on the right so that the composition can "flow", and that one on the swan's tail on the left..

Other than that.. simply gorgeous and it fits your title to the "T" thumb.gif

Beautiful Photoiloveyou.gif

Kat

15524779-Ti.gif ....this is really a beautiful capture.
    I agree with Kat's suggestions
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    oooh, I love it Kevin! Really well shot. Kat has some nice suggestions for improving it. Overall, awesome thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I really like it Kevin clap.gif The only thing I could suggest to improve it might be for you to clone in a catch-light into the eye of the swan in the foreground.
  • karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    You don't need anyone else telling you how nice this is, but it's truly one of those captures that catches the eye and has you looking at it for minutes instead of just glancing at it and moving along. Great work! :D
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I can hear the music
    Lovely capture, Kevin. How did you get them to pose for you like that? rolleyes1.gif

Seriously, what's not to like about this? It's gorgeous. thumb.gif Composition is good, love the reflections and the way the swan in the foreground seems to be looking at his.

But can you spell Tchaikovsky? lol3.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Beautiful, beautiful shot (as always). But Swan Lake simply isn't a song but a ballet, and no matter how hard you hit it, doesn't have words and isn't a vocal piece (unless there's something out there that uses the title I don't know about). Thus I have to question therefore whether it's on theme...

Sorry to preach, but this is a particular pet-peeve of my husband's and mine, so apologies if it seems somewhat hardlined. We spend many hours teaching our college-aged students that a SONG is a piece of music performed by a singer, with words and usually (although not always) accompanied by piano, guitar or lute. If it's in an opera or oratorio with orchestra accompaniment, it's an aria. It's not a movement of a symphony, a section of a string quartet or anything else. If it doesn't have words (and isn't specifically indicated by the composer as a "song without words") and isn't performed by a voice... it's not a song.

/soapbox

Sorry, that wasn't for you Kev, as much as me proselytizing at large (probably to the converted!). Sorry. It's one of those classical-musician hair-trigger reaction things :D
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    thats a nice capture, the lower right area kinda distracts me with the two OOF blades leaning to the right, but i dont have any suggestion other than try some cloning...
    maybe clean up little pieces of floating stuff out in the water too.

anyway, where's the castle refection?:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I will work on them in case I end up sticking with this image.

Divamum, you're right about it technically not being a song and there was no insult taken with you getting on your soapbox. deal.gif However, if I refer to this version, will you let me fudge it?mwink.gif

— Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    KevXman wrote:
    Thanks for the comments everyone. I will work on them in case I end up sticking with this image.

Divamum, you're right about it technically not being a song and there was no insult taken with you getting on your soapbox. deal.gif However, if I refer to this version, will you let me fudge it?mwink.gif

— Kevin

Like I said, if there's something out there that's used the title (which clearly there is), then you're totally good to go!!!! thumb.gif (I'd add that link to your caption, however - may as well!)

Thanks for taking it in the spirit meant - it's one of these pushbutton annoyances with our students, who can't seem to grasp that not EVERY piece of music ever written in any genre for any instrument or group of instruments is NOT A SONG (I swear, even "track" bothers us less. My husband is even worse than I am - he tells his classes up front that if they use the word "song" incorrectly in any written work they will automatically be docked one letter grade :Drolleyes1.gif)
    edited July 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Like I said, if there's something out there that's used the title (which clearly there is), then you're totally good to go!!!! thumb.gif (I'd add that link to your caption, however - may as well!)

Done. I understand where you are coming from. Being a graphic designer at an engineering firm I have this Dilbert strip prominently displayed. (With apologies to Scott Adams.)

584608183_QcLFG-L.jpg

eek7.gifrolleyes1.gif

My Site, My Book
    edited July 7, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Beautiful, beautiful shot (as always). But Swan Lake simply isn't a song but a ballet, and no matter how hard you hit it, doesn't have words and isn't a vocal piece (unless there's something out there that uses the title I don't know about). Thus I have to question therefore whether it's on theme...

Sorry to preach, but this is a particular pet-peeve of my husband's and mine, so apologies if it seems somewhat hardlined. We spend many hours teaching our college-aged students that a SONG is a piece of music performed by a singer, with words and usually (although not always) accompanied by piano, guitar or lute. If it's in an opera or oratorio with orchestra accompaniment, it's an aria. It's not a movement of a symphony, a section of a string quartet or anything else. If it doesn't have words (and isn't specifically indicated by the composer as a "song without words") and isn't performed by a voice... it's not a song.

/soapbox

Sorry, that wasn't for you Kev, as much as me proselytizing at large (probably to the converted!). Sorry. It's one of those classical-musician hair-trigger reaction things :D

Your cracking me up here Diva...:lol4uh.. Bummer, there goes my idea of Vivaldi's Four Season's....he he he....

You guys dock a whole grade level? Man,, talk about strict..:whip

I can't believe you actually found a lyrical version Kevin. :D.. Is lyrical a word?

Love that Dilbert strip, too funny.. I come from a family of engineers, and used to recruit engineers for a living, so I know what you mean there.. My dad is one of those know it all engineers.. They are awesome in a jam and can design the most awesome machines to get a company out of a fix, but when it comes to artistic flair,,...........

that's a another story, but try telling them that..rolleyes1.gifrolleyesrolleyes1.gif.... superior minds they have....:D
    edited July 7, 2009
    How's this for the redo?

Original

584011786_PVro7-L.jpg

Reworked

584746197_iZGHu-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    edited July 7, 2009
    all the blades you cloned out need to be natural sharp on the ends..
    otherwise I love your re-work.

also IMO bring back the 3 tall ones on the right side.....
    Aaron Nelson
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Very nice work Kev - this looks so good in B/W! clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited July 7, 2009
    Perfectoclap.gif Kevin, but what happened to the natural glow and light on the water?

If you compare the two you will see what I mean.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Love the rework, Kevin! thumb.gif

Also have a song title for you based on this little gem from the movie, "Hans Christian Anderson": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKxnYRhk6I

If you remember Blood, Sweat, & Tears, you'll remember this!
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Love the rework, Kevin! thumb.gif

Also have a song title for you based on this little gem from the movie, "Hans Christian Anderson": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMKxnYRhk6I

If you remember Blood, Sweat, & Tears, you'll remember this!

Yeah, that's a good one. Always like watching Danny Kaye. Especially in the comedies.

Okay, I think I have this one where it should be. Thanks for the help. Any last thing that I might have missed?

585033509_cPhwn-L.jpg

Thanks again for looking.
    — Kevin

My Site, My Book
    edited July 7, 2009
    I think you have done great man! personally i do think those three blades on the right look good to the composition, glad you brought them back. The reflection upon the water is a good call too....

good luck.
    Aaron Nelson
    edited July 8, 2009
    Well, we all know you have to make the call on it in the end Kevin, and we all know your a rebel...:): but I am going to be a stickler and stand my ground on those grass reeds. I think the first revision looks best without them.. :poke
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    ok, I gotta say....
    I kinda like them there reeds on the right.:D
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    ok, I gotta say....
    I kinda like them there reeds on the right.:D

15524779-Ti.gif I like them too - they make the frame more complete.

and... I actually liked your original better.

Hmm - I originally had the same idea of a subject, but all I could find were some geese... headscratch.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com