My first Portrait Shoot...be gentle

VertigoVertigo Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited July 8, 2009 in People

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I'm not a very good judge, technically, but on my monitor some of the color versions are extremely yellowed, especially in skin color. I think you've got some nice shots in there. Maybe pick your favs and post a couple actual pics in the thread.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I agree -- pick out the best. Initial impression is that you have some very pleasing angles.

And I suggest you move the watermark before posting. It is difficult to look at a portrait with a watermark across the nose.
  • Tim KamppinenTim Kamppinen Registered Users Posts: 816 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Looks to me like there are probably some great shots in there, but I'm not going to sift through them all to figure it out... and more importantly, it's too many for your client to sift through, IMO (assuming this is for her, and not just practice for you). Self-editing is, I think, the most important thing (and one of the hardest) we as photographers can learn. Go through and decide which shots you really love, and think that she will love, and then show her those. Three or four shots of basically the same pose and location will just cause her eyes to glaze over. I think if you cull this down to 15-20 shots (just an estimate) that you really like and that are all unique, they will have much more impact when you show them to her (unless you already did, in which case I'm sure she loves them anyway, but you see my point).

As for the shots themselves, as I said I didn't look at them all but I saw some I really liked. The only thing that jumped out at me that was a turn-off was the simulated lensbaby look with the blurring around the edges of the image. It just looked too obviously fake to me, not like a real lensbaby.
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Great job for your first one. My first few times sure weren't that good. I did several for free for friends back in those days and one friend I sent her the best shot, and she never did get the rest. I love some of the poses. Number 2 is perfect in that regard. Here's my three suggestions though.

Go way easier on the skin retouching. Number 32 is about as heavy handed as it should get. Remember the rule of thirds. There's a bit too much headroom in number 20 for instance. Also, (and this was the hardest one for me to learn, and I still miss it sometimes) watch out for fly-away hairs. Always have your clients with long hair bring a brush to help wrangle them back into place.

But all that said, your light years ahead of most people in terms of posing. So feel good about yourself. thumb.gif
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • VertigoVertigo Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    whiteagle wrote:
    Great job for your first one. My first few times sure weren't that good. I did several for free for friends back in those days and one friend I sent her the best shot, and she never did get the rest. I love some of the poses. Number 2 is perfect in that regard. Here's my three suggestions though.

Go way easier on the skin retouching. Number 32 is about as heavy handed as it should get. Remember the rule of thirds. There's a bit too much headroom in number 20 for instance. Also, (and this was the hardest one for me to learn, and I still miss it sometimes) watch out for fly-away hairs. Always have your clients with long hair bring a brush to help wrangle them back into place.

But all that said, your light years ahead of most people in terms of posing. So feel good about yourself. thumb.gif

Thaqnk you for the comments...I totally agree and will take into considerations. I always loved photography, but it was only three months ago that I decided to buy my first D-SLR and other stuff....it get really expensive. The model is mny daughter 13 years old. We where seating watching TV and told her...lets go some I can take some pictures using one 20x20 softbox with a Vivitar 285 wireless. I am practicing on composition, lighting and off course processing.

How do I put only the pictures on the Thread....????? I don't want to post only links.
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    How do I put only the pictures on the Thread....????? I don't want to post only links.[/quote]

Finally I can be of assistance--I just learned this two days ago.

Infront of your link add After your link add
    No spaces in between any

so it should look like this your link

581226860_3LD9S-XL-1.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 7, 2009
    Lovely girl--nice poses--she looks quite comfortable.

ditto on the watermark comments from prior posts--very distracting.
    Liz A.
    _________
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Some I would've moved in closer for, others out. Some the focus looks 'off'.... some seem a little on the "fast" side (to me) for a younger girl BUT - It looks to me that ya have a very nice pkg to offer her, you just have to sit and do some culling. thumb.gif
    edited July 7, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    Some I would've moved in closer for, others out. Some the focus looks 'off'.... some seem a little on the "fast" side (to me) for a younger girl BUT - It looks to me that ya have a very nice pkg to offer her, you just have to sit and do some culling. thumb.gif

Thank you for the tip....Now I knowclap.gif Her are some pictures.

8780531_dMQCV#581226485_vYDF6

[IMG][/img]http://www.tonye.smugmug.com/gallery/8780531_dMQCV#584133654_XDGFr

[IMG][/img]http://www.tonye.smugmug.com/gallery/8780531_dMQCV#581238416_wyeuM
    edited July 7, 2009
    Vertigo wrote:

Not sure what you are doing wrong-your photo is still not showing. I just did the same as above and got the pic--The only thing I can figure (and it happened to me) is that you are not waiting for the picture to pop up on your screen before submitting reply. Wait a few secs maybe even a couple of minutes (my computer is slow and it took a bit). Once your pictures show up on your post then hit "submit reply"

581238416_wyeuM-XL-2.jpg

584133654_XDGFr-XL-1.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 7, 2009
    Lets See
    Not sure what you are doing wrong-your photo is still not showing. I just did the same as above and got the pic--The only thing I can figure (and it happened to me) is that you are not waiting for the picture to pop up on your screen before submitting reply. Wait a few secs maybe even a couple of minutes (my computer is slow and it took a bit). Once your pictures show up on your post then hit "submit reply"

581238416_wyeuM-XL-2.jpg

584133654_XDGFr-XL-1.jpg

Ok, lets see:

[IMG][/img]http://www.tonye.smugmug.com/gallery/8780531_dMQCV#581239342_xxBnh

8780531_dMQCV#581239342_xxBnh

8780531_dMQCV#581246625_RmLaw

AA
    edited July 7, 2009
    You are not waiting until you see the actual in your post before you post your reply are you?

Wait until you can see the pics.

This is what i did, step by step.
    I went to your smugmug site to that particular gallery, I clicked on one photo
    went to the share button on the top-scrolled to "get link"
    Went to the photo size I wanted 2xl-clicked on the photo-the word "copied" should pop up quickly.

Then I came back here and typed the link you copied -no spaces in between anythign and voila...but I waited until the link turned into a picture before I posted. Must wait--

If that doesn't do it, then I dont' knowheadscratch.gif
    Liz A.
    _________
    edited July 7, 2009
    You are not waiting until you see the actual in your post before you post your reply are you?

Wait until you can see the pics.

This is what i did, step by step.
    I went to your smugmug site to that particular gallery, I clicked on one photo
    went to the share button on the top-scrolled to "get link"
    Went to the photo size I wanted 2xl-clicked on the photo-the word "copied" should pop up quickly.

Then I came back here and typed the link you copied -no spaces in between anythign and voila...but I waited until the link turned into a picture before I posted. Must wait--

If that doesn't do it, then I dont' knowheadscratch.gif

Thanks, done that and after several minutes.....20, the links did not turned to pictures. So headscratch.gif
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Vertigo wrote:
    Thanks, done that and after several minutes.....20, the links did not turned to pictures. So headscratch.gif

You don't have to wait for any amount of time. Your issues is that you placed the and tags around a hot link and not around the simple address.

Do you see the underline in your image address? that inidicates that it is hot link to the picture. You need just plain text address to the link (no underline) with the tags.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 7, 2009
    Qarik wrote:
    You don't have to wait for any amount of time. Your issues is that you placed the and tags around a hot link and not around the simple address.

Do you see the underline in your image address? that inidicates that it is hot link to the picture. You need just plain text address to the link (no underline) with the tags.

581251502_7AgmR-X2-2.jpg

581239342_xxBnh-X2-3.jpg

581236682_77J7H-X2-2.jpg

581246625_RmLaw-X2-2.jpg

581251502_7AgmR-X2-2.jpg

Lets See now.
    edited July 7, 2009
    Vertigo wrote:
    581251502_7AgmR-X2-2.jpg

581239342_xxBnh-X2-3.jpg

581236682_77J7H-X2-2.jpg

581246625_RmLaw-X2-2.jpg

581251502_7AgmR-X2-2.jpg

Lets See now.

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif ...need to say more?
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Vertigo wrote:
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!wings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gifwings.gif ...need to say more?

BINGO! beautiful images!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
    edited July 7, 2009
    Success!!!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I really think some of your processing is very interesting..I saw a lot of yourphotos so I'll try to respond appropriately.

The 2 headshots you initially referenced and lizard NYC posted for you nice images but their blown in the face and her nose is almost missing. I'm guessing the original images are probably very good however and I would just suggest reworking your processing on those. Looks like you upped the brightness too much, It doesn't seem like your lighting is what did that. I could be wrong though, I'm just guessing all your shots seem a wee bit over exposed.

On the final set of images you posted--again, she is very pretty. As the mom of a teen however the leggy shot would eek me out. If this is a "model" or "fashion" shoot that is par for that course I guess.

Good catchlights in the eyes on some shots. The lips are so distracting in every shot as they are so dry, I'd have to attempt to photo shop that at least some.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Gorgeous model. She seems very at home in front of the camera, and a natural beauty. Direct her (and any other young teen) to more age appropriate (i.e. less sexy) poses. These poses may be great for senior portraits or adult models, but if you were to present some of these to me of my almost 13 year old, I'd be freaked out.

Over all, I like the look of these.

Caroline