SLR Auto Bracketing Selection

bikelantabikelanta Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
edited July 7, 2009 in Cameras
Hello All,

I've been shooting homes and was thinking about methods to improve the speed and automation of my workflow. Right now, I use the Enfuse plug-in with Lightroom. Generally, I take five exposures (-2EV, -1EV, 0EV, 1EV, and 2EV). Most of the time I use Aperture Priority mode and adjust exposure compensation, other times I use Manual and just adjust the shutter speed while maintaining the same aperture.

In thinking about speeding up the post-processing, as well as the photo taking, I was pondering automatic exposure bracketing. My XTi will only do three shots on AEB and requires pressing the shutter each time, so there is no way to hit the button once and just have it go. In doing some searching, it appears that within the Canon lineup, the 1D and 1Ds models can handle more than just three exposures with AEB. It does not appear that either 5D model can do more than three, nor can the 30/40/50D lineup. For Nikon, the D200, D300, and D700, along with the D2H, D2X, and D3 models are all capable of more than 3 AEB shots. Does anyone have information to the contrary?

With these models, is it possible to hit the shutter button once and have the camera fire off the 5, 7, 9, or whatever number of AEB shots or would it still require multiple shutter presses?

What I'm thinking is that if I hit the button once and the camera does its thing by taking the required number of photos, I can use Lightroom to automatically stack them using the Auto Stack feature. Because the time between each photo would be so short, I would be able to tell it there is a narrow gap between photos.

Thanks,
T.J.