Feedback Requested - Baseball Pictures

jthompsjthomps Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 7, 2009 in Sports
Hi, I'm new to photography and loving taking pictures of my son's baseball games. I thought I'd post some pictures and see if anyone has some constructive criticism they'd be willing to share in the hopes that I'll become a better photographer.

578008256_5m4jr-L-2.jpg

577861810_HDC4w-L-2.jpg

577856270_yLXKt-L-2.jpg

578006922_L5WSg-L-2.jpg

Thanks in advance,

jthomps

Comments

• KellyCKellyC Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Picture not showing up here.
  • jthompsjthomps Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 7, 2009
    KellyC wrote:
    Picture not showing up here.
    Edit: oops, I had external links turned off in the SM gallery... :) Should be fixed now!

Thanks,

jthomps
  • b08rsab08rsa Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    1st picture, the jeep is a distraction. I know it's hard to get a good clean background.
    2nd and 4th picture looks nice to me.
    3rd picture, the runner looks to be in focus, but not the fielder. (Little soft).

By all means, I do not consider myself to be a professional, but these are some things other people have pointed out to me on my soccer shoots. Keep up the good work though. You will only get better.
    :D
    Sony A7ii, Sigma 24mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens, Sony FE85mm f/1.8 Lens, Sony FE 28-70 mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Lens, Godox 860iiS Flash.
    edited July 7, 2009
    b08rsa wrote:
    1st picture, the jeep is a distraction. I know it's hard to get a good clean background.
    2nd and 4th picture looks nice to me.
    3rd picture, the runner looks to be in focus, but not the fielder. (Little soft).

By all means, I do not consider myself to be a professional, but these are some things other people have pointed out to me on my soccer shoots. Keep up the good work though. You will only get better.
    :D
    The background in #1 is unfortunate, but as you say, C'est la vie... :)

I agree that the fielder in #3 is not as in-focus as the base runner. I shoot with the center focus point active and was tracking the base runner for the shot, but it does seem a bit odd that the two subjects are nearly on the same focal plane but the fielder is slightly out of focus.

I guess I'll experiment with panning and tracking the runner vs focusing on the bases, which is ultimately where the action will wind up anyway!

Thank you for your comments.
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hmmm, I don't know about #2. You cut his legs off. Maybe you could crop a lighter to make it look better, and maybe not.

I know what you mean about the second baseman being out of focus. The depth of field is too shallow to get both in focus. I run into that same problem myself.

Not much you can do about distracting backgrounds at ball parks like the one you are in. There is always someone or something in the background that is a distraction.

Good luck.
    Mike

Here's a quick crop. Would this work for you?
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
    edited July 7, 2009
    Hmmm, I don't know about #2. You cut his legs off. Maybe you could crop a lighter to make it look better, and maybe not.

This was my first time shooting with a mono-pod. I was zoomed in on the batter, who hit a ground ball to 2B. When I swiveled to follow the ball and catch ground ball to 2B, I didn't zoom out so the entire player wasn't framed in the photo... :) More practice needed indeed!

Thanks for the feedback.

Edit: I do prefer your crop for that photo, thanks for taking the time to demonstrate...

jthomps