Options

I'm in!!

ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Sports
With the help of Tjk60 being my sponsor, I have been accepted into SportsShooter. Thanks Tim, Woo Hoo.
Come see my Photos at:
http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro

Comments

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Congrats! I hope to gain enough experiece and knowledge to be good enough some day... Good Luck!
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Russ, you were a slam dunk! Congrats to you, you earned it!
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    GringriffGringriff Registered Users Posts: 340 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Congratulations! I love your motocross photos. You do outstanding work.
    Andy
    http://andygriffinphoto.com/
    http://andygriffin.smugmug.com/
    Canon 7D, 70-200mm L, 50 and 85 primes, Tamron 17-50, 28-135
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Congratulations Russ!
  • Options
    edited July 7, 2009
    Thanks guys.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Well deserved!
  • Options
    JESTERJESTER Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Congratulations Russ. Never a doubt. You do good work!
  • Options
    David EvertsenDavid Evertsen Registered Users Posts: 524 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    With the help of Tjk60 being my sponsor, I have been accepted into SportsShooter. Thanks Tim, Woo Hoo.

What an awesome accomplishment... Congrats!! You deserve it..
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Congrats Erbeman!!

Great job !!!

I hope to get in one day.
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    For us newbies, what does this mean?

A large upfront signing bonus ?rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    For us newbies, what does this mean?

A large upfront signing bonus ?rolleyes1.gif
    I asked a similar question last month. mwink.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=135598
  • Options
    Luke J. PhotographyLuke J. Photography Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    I'd love to have a sponsor.

I can't speak for all of the SportShooter guys, but I don't believe that I've ever seen any of your work and when I try to go to your site it sends me to smugmug.com. So, I can't imagine you're going to get a sponsor just by asking. You're going to need to prove yourself first.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I can't speak for all of the SportShooter guys, but I don't believe that I've ever seen any of your work and when I try to go to your site it sends me to smugmug.com. So, I can't imagine you're going to get a sponsor just by asking. You're going to need to prove yourself first.

Oops I better change that link. I switched to a new domain, Thanks for pointing that out.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    Luke,

I'm putting this advice here because I think it would benefit others as well. I looked at your baseball photos and there are a couple things that jump out:

The galleries consist primarily of pitching and batting sequences. You've essentially got 50 odd shots of the same exact thing. No plays in the field. In short, the level of difficulty in taking a shot of a pitcher or batter is very low. Taken from behind the batter makes the shot uninteresting.

It would appear your using a 70-200 2.8 lens. The reality is, such a lens is far too short for baseball. You need 300-400mm just for infield shots. So, if you want to shoot baseball you need more reach. Once you have that reach, change your shot selection so you're capturing the more interesting action in the field.

But, the biggest piece of advice is - you don't get bonus points for the subject being a major league team. A great photo of a tee-ball game is better than an average photo of a pro game. So, my advice is to change your subject to be a lower level of play. That will also help the reach issue out.

This subject comes up every now and then regarding building a portfolio. People think they need NCAA Div I or Pro sports photos to have a good portfolio. From all the feedback I've seen from editors on sportsshooter, that isn't relevant. It's the quality that matters. Again, a great photo of pony league baseball, where you're in a good shooting position and using a lens appropriate for the sport is better than trying to over-reach with 200mm at a pro game.

If you can't afford longer glass then switch to shooting sports where 200mm is long enough - track, swimming, softball (from field), some football, etc.
  • Options
    tjk60tjk60 Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Luke,

I'm putting this advice here because I think it would benefit others as well. I looked at your baseball photos and there are a couple things that jump out:

The galleries consist primarily of pitching and batting sequences. You've essentially got 50 odd shots of the same exact thing. No plays in the field. In short, the level of difficulty in taking a shot of a pitcher or batter is very low. Taken from behind the batter makes the shot uninteresting.

It would appear your using a 70-200 2.8 lens. The reality is, such a lens is far too short for baseball. You need 300-400mm just for infield shots. So, if you want to shoot baseball you need more reach. Once you have that reach, change your shot selection so you're capturing the more interesting action in the field.

But, the biggest piece of advice is - you don't get bonus points for the subject being a major league team. A great photo of a tee-ball game is better than an average photo of a pro game. So, my advice is to change your subject to be a lower level of play. That will also help the reach issue out.

This subject comes up every now and then regarding building a portfolio. People think they need NCAA Div I or Pro sports photos to have a good portfolio. From all the feedback I've seen from editors on sportsshooter, that isn't relevant. It's the quality that matters. Again, a great photo of pony league baseball, where you're in a good shooting position and using a lens appropriate for the sport is better than trying to over-reach with 200mm at a pro game.

If you can't afford longer glass then switch to shooting sports where 200mm is long enough - track, swimming, softball (from field), some football, etc.

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto! My submission portfolio was two pro baseball shots, 3 u10 soccer shots (girls), high school LAX and HS football.

They are looking for

1. Pic that tell the story.
    2. Pics that are well executed. clean backgrounds, cropped right exposed right.
    3. Ability to caption.
    Tim
    Troy, MI

D700/200, SB800(4), 70-200, 300 2.8 and a few more

www.sportsshooter.com/tjk60
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    tjk60 wrote:
    1. Pic that tell the story.
    2. Pics that are well executed. clean backgrounds, cropped right exposed right.
    3. Ability to caption.
    The Secret Handshake

Simple put -- consistent, clean and great photos that stand alone on its own merits with captions.
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    johng wrote:
    Luke,

thumb.gif I see what your saying, i've just been killing time shooting major league ball from the stands til high school sports start up next month. And I am going to be picking up a 300 2.8L next week wings.gif
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Congrats Dude!

I'm learning more about sports shooter but i know it's a pretty big deal to get in. My next goal perhaps... ?
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    From my understanding it is also bad etiquette to ask for a sponsor...

I am working around that by trying to do more work with an almost local SS member..
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Hmmmm.

What the heck is sport shooter, and why do you need to be accepted into it ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Congratulations, Russ!
  • Options
    beetle8beetle8 Registered Users Posts: 677 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    nw scout wrote:
    Hmmmm.

What the heck is sport shooter, and why do you need to be accepted into it ne_nau.gif
    Laughing.gif, I guess the circle is smaller than we thought.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    great example of the benefits
    OK, here's a great example of the benefits of sportsshooter. Russ started and has participated in a great discussion about trading services for credentials. It's tough to get that type of honest feedback from seasoned shooters on other sites. Again, not something that is going to make Russ a millionaire as a photographer but good advice for aspiring professional photographers (and unlike sites like this, sportsshooter really is intended for people who want to or are earning $$).
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    johng wrote:
    OK, here's a great example of the benefits of sportsshooter. Russ started and has participated in a great discussion about trading services for credentials. It's tough to get that type of honest feedback from seasoned shooters on other sites. Again, not something that is going to make Russ a millionaire as a photographer but good advice for aspiring professional photographers (and unlike sites like this, sportsshooter really is intended for people who want to or are earning $$).

You're right on there. I am able to deal with photogs who make their living with this kind of stuff and have vast knowledge of the in's and out's of the business.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    You're right on there. I am able to deal with photogs who make their living with this kind of stuff and have vast knowledge of the in's and out's of the business.

Sounds cool thumb.gif

It must be geared towards editorial work I am guessing.

I have been on the advertising side for about 15 years now and have never really looked into editorial till the last few months. With the economy in the tank I am looking to expand my client base a little, and doing editorial would be kind of fun.
    Boy would it be nice to shoot without an art director looking over my shoulder.

I know it may sound a little backwards, going from advertising to editorial, but after so many years of big production shoots, constant travel and all the crazy long days, doing a low stress local magazine shoot sounds like pure heaven clap.gif :ivar clap.gif
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Congratulations Russ, you deserve it.
    Rags
  • Options
    MikeMcA²MikeMcA² Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Congrats! Well deserved.