Let's go fly a kite...

BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited July 9, 2009 in People
Up to the highest heights...

Sam and I went kite shopping after Daddy (the pilot and sky god) scored a double FAIL at building one :rolleyes Anyway, he proved to be a pro at flying the thing, but have you ever tried to get a four-year-old boy with his first kite to stand still long enough for some creative photography? Yikes.

The launch...

582748003_hF5sE-X2-1.jpg

Airborne...

582574120_2Qwo7-X2.jpg

Attempting the save...

582576911_cjVCu-X2.jpg

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I love the last picture, I spy a babywearer in the back!! What type of ring sling is that?
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    BVardy wrote:
    Up to the highest heights...

Sam and I went kite shopping after Daddy (the pilot and sky god) scored a double FAIL at building one rolleyes1.gif Anyway, he proved to be a pro at flying the thing, but have you ever tried to get a four-year-old boy with his first kite to stand still long enough for some creative photography? Yikes. /QUOTE]

Nicely done - good vantage point on the first, and nice capture of motion and excitement on the third.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    These are pretty good. I like the vantage point in #2.

Someone once told me that one of the hardest things to photograph is a person flying a kite.
  • BVardyBVardy Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Flutist wrote:
    I love the last picture, I spy a babywearer in the back!! What type of ring sling is that?

It's a Bébé Carrousel - I think they're made somewhere in Québec, but they're all pretty-much the same. Mama swears by it, I can't wear it to save my soul.

Thanks for the comments - I'd appreciate any tips on shooting this type of thing. As Mitchell said, "Someone once told me that one of the hardest things to photograph is a person flying a kite." I believe it. Hard to get the exposure just right. I thought of flash filling the foreground, but that kid has more moves than Michael Jordan, and I was lucky to get what I did :D
    edited July 8, 2009
    Here's one I did of my son a few years ago. To me, the interest in these is the interaction between the kite and the flyer. The best way to get this is to lay on the ground and shoot up at the kite in the air. Exposure can be tough depending on where the sun is located. Fill may be necessary.

189762005_XF7nm-L.jpg
    edited July 8, 2009
    Very nice shot - far better colour composition than mine (although completely different lighting as well). I'm going to try and get some more on a clear day, if we ever see the sun again around here. I thought the grey sky would be an easier shoot, but it ends up having that 'Addams Family' look; especially when compared to yours.

582575125_GaWMG-XL.jpg
    Mitchell wrote:
    Here's one I did of my son a few years ago. To me, the interest in these is the interaction between the kite and the flyer. The best way to get this is to lay on the ground and shoot up at the kite in the air. Exposure can be tough depending on where the sun is located. Fill may be necessary.
  • DigitizeMeDigitizeMe Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2009
    Noticed
    Hi Mitchell, I noticed you are in Clearwater, FL! I am a neighbor, I live in Belleair Bluffs with my husband, 3 dogs & 2 teenage sons. Checked out your smugmug site, very nice! Thought I'd say hello. -Debra
    www.DebraJeansPhotography.com

Mitchell wrote:
    These are pretty good. I like the vantage point in #2.

Someone once told me that one of the hardest things to photograph is a person flying a kite.
    edited July 9, 2009
    Mitch, did you fill that shot of yours?
    edited July 9, 2009
    No fill on that one, but I had the mother of all reflectors being on a white, sandy beach in the middle of a cloudless Florida day!:D
    edited July 9, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    No fill on that one, but I had the mother of all reflectors being on a white, sandy beach in the middle of a cloudless Florida day!:D

Ahhh, that 'splains it. Great shot.