Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX for D80?

photography402photography402 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 7, 2009 in Cameras
I have many wonderful things about this lens....but it would be for my Nikon D80. All of the articles that I have read mention that the lens is great for the D40, D60, and even the D90. Does anyone have any experience with the lens? Does anyone know why it would not make sense for a D80 user to purchase this lens?

Thanks in advance.

John

Comments

• bandgeekndbbandgeekndb Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    My guess is, the main reason they are advertising this lens for D40s and D60s is because of the built-in AF-S motor. The D40 and D60 both require the lens to have this motor, since the body itself doesn't contain one. This means lenses like the very popular Nikon 50mm f/1.8 AF lens will not autofocus on the D40 and D60. Starting with the D80 and up (not sure about the D50, or D70, since they're older), Nikon put the motor in the camera body, so you can use lenses besides those with the AF-S marking.

I've heard excellent things about this lens, for its price range. Definitely check out DPreview's review of the lens, as they had high marks for the lens. Below is the Pro v. Con list from their review. Their site will have more information, including numerous test shots.
    Conclusion - Pros
    • Excellent image quality when stopped down just a little
    • Fast and accurate autofocus with full-time manual override
    • Generally attractive rendition of out-of-focus regions ('bokeh')
    • Resistant to flare
    • Low price
    Conclusion - Cons
    • Slightly soft and low in contrast wide open
    • Lateral chromatic aberration somewhat higher than traditional 50mm 'standard' primes
    • Prone to purple fringing and bokeh chromatic aberration, most visible at large apertures
    SOURCE: DPreview
    Review Link

I hope this helps!
    ~Nick
    Nikon D7000, D90

Sigma 18-50 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8
    Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6, 50mm f/1.8
  • photography402photography402 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    That does help. Thank you for your help!