Options

How did you come up with your busniess name?

Howe Creative PhotographyHowe Creative Photography Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
edited September 2, 2009 in Mind Your Own Business
Just wondering? Trying to come up with something crafty, using my last name...Howe
Bridget:ivar

Nikon D80
Nikon D300s (on it's way)
Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
Tamron 18-200mm
Nikon 50mm f/1.8
Nikon 70-300mm
Tamron 90mm macro
some lights and backgrounds

Comments

• Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,459 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Just wondering? Trying to come up with something crafty, using my last name...Howe

It started as a website called "The Backcountry" back about 9 years ago to showcase my backpacking and hiking photos and journals. At the time I wasn't "into" photography.

About 5 years ago I decided to get back into shooting nature/landscape/wildlife and I decided on "Images in the Backcountry" because of the 'brand' (The Backcountry) I already established in the hiking community. :D
  • Options
    MoxMox Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I named it after my dog. :]

Of course, I also like the meaning of the word. It started out as my Flickr address, then it just felt natural to keep it when I bought a url.
  • Options
    Howe Creative PhotographyHowe Creative Photography Registered Users Posts: 98 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Thanks for your answers...love hearing the stories!

Nikon D80
    Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
    Tamron 18-200mm
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tamron 90mm macro

• Options
    emeraldroseemeraldrose Registered Users Posts: 324 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Mine came about because it was initially it was sheider photography and then about 2 months into me getting started my husband and I split up (Long story), so when trying to come up with a new name and get my feet back on the ground I realized i needed something without my name (i'm a girl i could want to change my name again if i ever remarry). Then I thought I've always like emerald and rose together (even wanted to name a baby girl that) so I figured why not use it for my biz name, two things i really like together.

I'm really not that creative and i don't know how you pronounce your name, but my first thought was Howe... you like it photography i know cheesy, but like i said i'm not that great at that lol
  • Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I took part of my daughter's email address and used it after hearing another parent refer to her daughter as a "Gym Star". I had already considered using Gym Star, but for some reason I decided to go with it after hearing that parent. Also, using my name + photography just sounded stupid.... my name doesn't flow well or have a nice ring to it like some other's do. As a side note... that parent that I overheard was my first paying customer, I never did tell her about overhearing that.
  • Options
    edited July 8, 2009
    My last name is pronounced like how. Maybe that will help.

Nikon D80
    Nikon 24-70 f/2.8
    Tamron 18-200mm
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8
    Nikon 70-300mm
    Tamron 90mm macro

• Options
    camille1128camille1128 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited July 24, 2009
    I was named after a hurricane, so my business name is Category 5 Photography.
  • Options
    kd2kd2 Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited July 24, 2009
    I was named after a hurricane, so my business name is Category 5 Photography.

That's great!!!!
    ~Kathy
    Success Coach, Motivational Speaker, Professional Photographer
    "Enriching Lives through Images and Inspiration"
    www.kathleendavenport.com

• Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited July 25, 2009
    TAG is an acronym. Turkey And Gopher.

Turkey was my first childs pre-birth nickname. Called him that because I was hoping my wife's belly button would pop like a turkey timer.

Gopher was the pre-birth name of my second child, because he is a Feburary child, groundhog day...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    I thought about the sorts of things I wanted to photograph and decided that I was only interested in creating images that improved or up-lifted the human spirit - image of people being happy or of images that might make people happy.

My wife has been using "LV & LFTR" for her auto licence plate for years.

I asked her if I could steal it for my business name. BAM - done deal. "Love N Laughter Photography"
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    I thought about the sorts of things I wanted to photograph and decided that I was only interested in creating images that improved or up-lifted the human spirit - image of people being happy or of images that might make people happy.

I asked her if I could steal it for my business name. BAM - done deal. "Love N Laughter Photography"

I like it clap.gif
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    I

Oh dear, I saw this and thought something along the lines of "Love and left her" Ah! Not the intended message - thanks for actually writing it out for me :)

I'm in the middle of this right now - finding a name thing.

My last name is difficult - Kozelsky, so that's been off the list for a long time, but now I'm starting to revisit it. Others include:
    red maple foto --> all lowercase, foto with a fffff; most recent favorite; i love the outdoors and seasons and so this seemed appropriate
    Seventh Street Photography --> although I only plan to live on Seventh Street for another year so my friends vetoed that one pretty quick - I still like it though
    Pancake Photography --> I love love love pancakes and my BF is convinced that this is the best one by far for me, although I know it would only reach out to a specific audience - children's portraits and the like

Back to my last name, I'm now thinking of something like:
    Ko-ZEL-sky
    Photographic

With a long mark over the o (a little horizontal line), some kind of indicator that the emphasis is on 'zel', and an accent mark on the y, like is in the original Czech (even though it's the masculine form), and dots instead of dashes between the syllables. This would obviously be the logo as well as the business name. My whole family really likes our last name because it's unique, but there are many people who freak out when they see it and won't even attempt to pronounce it, so I'm aiming for some cool-looking way of writing it out that sort of shows the reader how to say it in a non-threatening way. :)

Or I could just stick with red maple foto.

Thoughts are appreciated.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    South Shore SnapshotsSouth Shore Snapshots Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    how I chose my name
    I live in a small town south of Windsor, Ontario, Canada. Places to the north - Tecumseh, Belle River, etc. are commonly referred to as being in the North Shore. Places down here, are therefore South Shore. I had been looking for something with alliteration to "captures", "photos", "snapshots", etc. The fate was sealed when I passed by a local taxi cab company called South Shore Taxi. I took this as a sign and ultimately decided on SOUTH SHORE SNAPSHOTS.
    Nikon D90 | MB-D80 GRIP | 80-200mm F2.8 | 50mm F1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 | SB 400

Pentax K1000 | M28mm F2.8 | M50mm F2 | Takumar Bayonet 135mm F2.5

www.southshoresnapshots.smugmug.com
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Flash Frozen
    I was looking for something that wasn't related to my name. I too had a name change or two (divorce and remarried) after starting a service business and did not want to do another name change!

I wanted something related to photography and when I searched this was not trademarked (it is now) and it was available in California for a corporation. Non photographers don't get it all the time And the city has sent me a citation for running a food related business without the proper permits (lol).
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    I was looking for something that wasn't related to my name. I too had a name change or two (divorce and remarried) after starting a service business and did not want to do another name change!

I wanted something related to photography and when I searched this was not trademarked (it is now) and it was available in California for a corporation. Non photographers don't get it all the time And the city has sent me a citation for running a food related business without the proper permits (lol).

that's cute lol, What made you decide to trademark your name? I thought about it, but for the moment decided against it
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    No a person's name
    I chose to trademark the name so no one else can use it - period.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    squiddysquiddy Registered Users Posts: 161 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    ^ good idea... expensive though. That'll have to wait.

I personally wanted something a little more edgy and bold that would make a statement. I've been an extreme sports fan my whole life. I played ice hockey and roller derby, rugby, soccer, etc. I also participated in a Red Bull event called Crashed Ice where they turn a ski slope into ice with turns and jumps and you skate down in your hockey gear. It's intense and was only 1 of 10 women chosen in the world to compete.

I'm a bold outspoken girl, lots of broken bones and scars.... but after blowing out my knees I decided it was time to slow down. I still participate just in another way now. I wanted a business name that would reflect the type of photos i aspire to take and the type of person i am.
  • Options
    GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2009
    I didn't want to use my name, it just didn't sound good to me as a business. Some people's names do, not mine. I did however, want to use something not necessarily "catchy" but something that meant something to me in my heart. I have always had an avid interested in the Native American Indians and their way of living and their art work. I chose the name of a Lakota religion and dance that came about during the Wounded Knee time period, "Ghost Dance." So, I trademarked it. Thankfully, it wasn't taken already. Thus, Ghost Dance Photography. =) It's very special to me, as is my photography. (good or bad! lol)
  • Options
    shmingshming Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    Our business name is Backdrop Photography LLC. - we wanted a name that could optimize the search engines while easy to remember. We were surprised when the government said it was available. But - on our business cards it says Kendell Linh / Evelyn Grace Photography and under our name it states the LLC name. Using our names we felt was more personal. --- seemed to work.

Great Post topic by the way
    KLinh
    Klinh Evelyn Grace Photography
    Fashion & Commercial
    (2)Mamiya RZ67 IID, Mamiya 645 AFD II, Leaf Aptus 65, Profoto D1's, Capture One.
    http://www.klinhevelyngracephotography.com
  • Options
    Mohamed.GhuloomMohamed.Ghuloom Registered Users Posts: 305 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2009
    My advice for you is to pick a name that is easy to remember and funny to say. I don't know, in your case, maybe 'hewhew' sounds cool mwink.gif SERIOUSLY! If you look at Google, Yahoo, Dell, they all are easy to understand, probably no meaning at all, and funny to say.

For my biz name, I didn't pick it. I was with a little girl trying to encourage her to come up with a creative name, and then she said: "LENS" I was like LENS Photography.. Great!

Now that doesn't stand for a camera lens.. It stands for 'Live Every New Second' mwink.gif

Good luck hewhew :D
    Mohamed Photos
    Give a Message
  • Options
    WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
    edited September 1, 2009
    catchy title
    I wanted to do something with my last name, but "Wiren Photo Works" is not easy to remember. I wanted something that folks would remember when they got home in front of their computer. A lot of the neat names I came up with were taken. Finally I used the .net version of "On the wall photo" thinking that the term "off the wall" would stick with people and also the idea that you put photo's "on the wall", would help folks remember easily.

Good luck.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    I like relaxing things, while I will never live IN a cottage, I like what the image represents. I also like the term " cottage industries" and I feel that is what I am doing, a little tiny business out of my home. I really began with an interest in Photoshop, the interest in actual photography came a few years later, by surprise.
    So my name is Cottage INK.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700