trying to decide on a course of action...

mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Cameras
I have been looking at a used Canon EOS-1DS because I have been interested in moving up to a full frame camera. I really can't afford a used Canon 5D at this point in time (or any time in the forseeable future:wink ).

I am just starting to do a little portrait work but not a lot. I primarily do performing arts event and private event photography. Will the Canon EOS-1DS be a benefit to me in these pursuits (over my current 40D/30D combo)?

Or will the weight of this camera cause me to leave it at home when I cover a band competition where I have to do a lot of walking? (The years are starting to weigh a little more heavily on me!)

I know this is a better camera than what I own I guess I want to know how much better. Does that make sense? :scratch

Thanks!

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 7, 2009
    I would suggest a Canon 1D MKII instead. It is a much more modern camera with much better high-ISO which you would appreciate for indoor performing art and event work. You can often find them for similar prices to the 1Ds model.

While it is not a full-frame dSLR, the crop 1.3x format is a reasonable compromise.

Compare the 2 models for yourself:

1D MKII vs 1Ds
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    The Canon EOS-1D Mark II does look like a good idea Ziggy, but one currently out of my reach. The prices I'm seeing for the Canon EOS-1D Mark II are higher than a Canon 5D. and almost twice as high as the 1Ds I mentioned.

Looks like the best course of action is to keep saving and keep my eyes open for something more affordable.

Thanks for the input, it helps.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    My question is this - how are your current cameras limiting you? They are very powerful machines that can yield excellent results. When I decide to upgrade to a new body it is usually motivated by the new body improving in some areas sufficiently to be worth the money. What are your 40D/30D combo doing to limit you right now?
    edited July 9, 2009
    My question is this - how are your current cameras limiting you? They are very powerful machines that can yield excellent results. When I decide to upgrade to a new body it is usually motivated by the new body improving in some areas sufficiently to be worth the money. What are your 40D/30D combo doing to limit you right now?

Interesting that you ask this question as I was pondering this question just last night as I was using the 30D. I'd not used the 30D in a while so I got it out to use to see if I could really identify what my concerns were. As you said I was trying to determine what improvements I am looking for.

Real problems: The burst rate on the 30D is a little lower than what I need. The only time this is a problem is when I'm photographing marching bands. ISO, on the 30D I do not care to shoot over 1250 (and ideally no higher than 1000) as I do not care for the noise I see creeping in. Again this is a marching band problem as the competitions I go to are generally at night. The 40D I'm comfortable with going up to 1600 if I need to.

Possibly imagined problem: Up until recently my portrait shots were of musicians performing and I use one of several lenses for this but primarily the 70-200 f/2.8 or 135 f/2. Recently I started doing some outdoors senior portraits using a 24-70 on the 40D. The best way I can describe it is I felt odd trying to compose the shots I wanted and I was wondering if the cropped sensor was contributing to this. Maybe I just read too much into this.

Probably my next step should be to rent a 5d for a couple of days, slap the 24-70 on it and see what the end results are.

Any of this make sense?
    edited July 9, 2009
    The Canon 30D and 40D RAW files should have similar noise at the same ISO. In prints of the same size the visual effect should be very similar for a properly exposed image from either camera. If you see much variance it could be a metering/exposure isue.

JPG will complicate things as the 2 cameras use different image processor engines.

I do suggest only using full ISO stops as the in-between ISOs appear to be "synthesized" and may induce more noise.

http://forums.canonphotogroup.com/showthread.php?p=5225

For fractional exposures use either fractional f-stops or fractional shutter speeds instead.

A larger imager will make a demonstrably improved reduction in imager noise against smaller imagers of the same generation. The Canon 1Ds is old enough that it is not too useful at high ISOs and Canon engineers chose to limit ISO availability to ISO 1250, the lowest of any of the Canon professional line cameras. The 1Ds would have slightly less visible high-ISO noise than the 40D, for instance, but the 1Ds has less dynamic range than the 40D.

Renting a camera is a great way to experience the qualities of a camera before committing to the purchase of the camera.
    ziggy53
    edited July 9, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    The Canon 30D and 40D RAW files should have similar noise at the same ISO. In prints of the same size the visual effect should be very similar for a properly exposed image from either camera. If you see much variance it could be a metering/exposure isue.

I felt that the images should be more similar too. I use the 30D for wide angle and used either a 28mm f/1.8 or 35mm f/2 lens. On the 40D I would use a 70-200mm f/2.8L non-IS. Both cameras would be using center weighted metering, with the aperture wide open to get the fastest shutter speed.

But the 30D always seems to need a higher ISO to get a good exposure than the 40D does. Granted the lenses on the 30D are not L's but they are not bad lenses. Seems to me I did one event with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 but I do not recall what I did not like about the experience.

Strange.
  • 20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    mrcoons wrote:
    The Canon EOS-1D Mark II does look like a good idea Ziggy, but one currently out of my reach. The prices I'm seeing for the Canon EOS-1D Mark II are higher than a Canon 5D. and almost twice as high as the 1Ds I mentioned.

Looks like the best course of action is to keep saving and keep my eyes open for something more affordable.

Thanks for the input, it helps.

I'm kinda curious to where you've been looking. All the 1D MkII bodies I've seen in the past few months are between the $900-$1200 range while the 5D bodies seem to be between the $1200-$1500 range.

If your still looking for a 1Ds shoot me a PM, I found one really cheap including the charger and manuals.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
    edited July 9, 2009
    Looking at previous events I discover that the lens I did not like on the 30D was the 28mm f/1.8. I apparently never tried the 35mm f/2 on it. I used the 35mm on a Rebel XT and looking at those shots I see no problems.

HERE are a couple of those XT photos and some I shot today with the 35mm/30D combo. I think I need to give this combo a good try out this fall. This may solve one of my puzzles anyway!
    edited August 12, 2009
    Update:

I recently purchased a used 5D from a dealer I trusted at a price that fit my budget. Camera looks brand new with just 2 little scuffs on the hot shoe. So far I am extremely happy with it.
    edited August 12, 2009
    mrcoons wrote:
    Update:

I recently purchased a used 5D from a dealer I trusted at a price that fit my budget. Camera looks brand new with just 2 little scuffs on the hot shoe. So far I am extremely happy with it.

Congratulations Mark. If you shoot RAW, ISO 3200 is very usable on the 5D.
    ziggy53
    edited August 12, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Congratulations Mark. If you shoot RAW, ISO 3200 is very usable on the 5D.

Thanks Ziggy. When I shoot competitions I almost always shoot in Raw. At competitions I'll use the 5D and either the 50mm f/1.4 or the 35mm f/2 for wide shots. I'll experiment at rehearsal to decide which will work best.

So far the only lens I've had on the 5D is the 50mm but I'll be trying all the others as the month progresses!
    edited August 16, 2009
    visual update
    It looks like my used 5D and my used 24-70 were as meant for each other as this couple! mwink.gif

621205912_6u6Xp-M.jpg
    edited August 16, 2009
    Looks great Mark. There is a very nice "pop" to that image.
    ziggy53
    edited August 17, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Looks great Mark. There is a very nice "pop" to that image.

Thanks. This was a Raw image converted with Lightroom. About all I did to it was adjust the white balance, don't think I did much else to it.