#29 - Car Wash

whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
edited July 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
"Car Wash" - 1976 number-one single by Rose Royce.

Any of these images stand out? These are actually some shots I took this past weekend for my photography class (working on HDR).

I like these shots, not thrilled - I really needed a classic VW beetle in orange and super model to make this work (my wife wouldn't cooperate :D).

583666005_kSrZY-M.jpg

583667877_FgETs-M.jpg

583667399_7jSSW-M.jpg

583736797_XDJby-M.jpg

I've got a few others....and I know, they are saturated - seems to be my thing as of late.
- Christopher
My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!

Comments

• dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    AHA! Thats one I had not thought of!

I like the saturated color, but that's me, I like bright colors. I think I prefer 1 or 4 because I can see all the words. I want to see wash in there. But then, I like the line of windows...

The clouds are great too... I think best in 4

My son says 4, lol.

ok, I'm off to Cici's for pizza now...
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I like the second one best.. however, I agree with Donna, the word car wash really needs to be in there.. and it would be best to have the actual inside of the car wash showing and a car..

Maybe if you cook dinner your wife will work with ya... :ivar

It would be really cool if you could shoot one of those automatic car washes in action..:D
    edited July 7, 2009
    I like the second one best.. however, I agree with Donna, the word car wash really needs to be in there.. and it would be best to have the actual inside of the car wash showing and a car..

Maybe if you cook dinner your wife will work with ya... :ivar

It would be really cool if you could shoot one of those automatic car washes in action..:D
    How come everyone else can think of things and I think, yea, thats what was missing! I swear ya'll, losing your brain as you get older sucks rolleyes1.gif remember I warned ya!
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    How come everyone else can think of things and I think, yea, thats what was missing! I swear ya'll, losing your brain as you get older sucks rolleyes1.gif remember I warned ya!

What brain? I'm making this crap up as I go along. headscratch.gif

Oh, I love the colors that you have going on, but do agree that there needs to be more of the actual equipment involved.
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I like the color and I like what's going on with the reflection in #1.

But for the challenge, you're going to need something with a bit more "wow" factor. ne_nau.gif

These kinds of shots sometimes do really well with HDR treatment. Check out the 4th pic from this post: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=740171&postcount=8

Main thing is that we have lots of time to play and experiment. mwink.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Yeah, I agree with Linda. If you can get more of the building and achieve the HDR look that she is talking about you would have a definite winner.thumb.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

But for the challenge, you're going to need something with a bit more "wow" factor. ne_nau.gif

These kinds of shots sometimes do really well with HDR treatment. Check out the 4th pic from this post: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=740171&postcount=8

wow! I just don't see how that is done. Those are beautiful! Another one of those goals on my list of things to learn.
    edited July 7, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    wow! I just don't see how that is done. Those are beautiful! Another one of those goals on my list of things to learn.

This is what I use:

http://www.mediachance.com/plugins/redynamix.html

More options here:

http://www.google.com/search?q=hdr+software+free&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Funny - I did use HDR! rolleyes1.gif Perhaps I need to juice up the settings?!
    - Christopher
    edited July 7, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Funny - I did use HDR! rolleyes1.gif Perhaps I need to juice up the settings?!

Let's see a juiced up version, then. mwink.gifthumb.gif
    edited July 7, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Let's see a juiced up version, then. mwink.gifthumb.gif

The more I think about these images, the more I really dislike them for the challenge. I think I'm going to either scrap this idea and find another, or reshoot. If I could just find someone to let me use an orange classic VW beetle!:D
    - Christopher
  • Mad CatMad Cat Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I like the first one
    whiterice wrote:
    The more I think about these images, the more I really dislike them for the challenge. I think I'm going to either scrap this idea and find another, or reshoot. If I could just find someone to let me use an orange classic VW beetle!:D

I hope I'm doing this right now - I'm really new to dgrin. For what it's worth, I actually like the first image the best. I would shoot it landscape rather than portrait though, & it needs.... an element of interest. For lack of the Vdub & model, how about a bucket overflowing with soap suds, a hose with water running out all over the place, and a pile of rags/towls nearby? w
    edited July 7, 2009
    Mad Cat wrote:
    I hope I'm doing this right now - I'm really new to dgrin. For what it's worth, I actually like the first image the best. I would shoot it landscape rather than portrait though, & it needs.... an element of interest. For lack of the Vdub & model, how about a bucket overflowing with soap suds, a hose with water running out all over the place, and a pile of rags/towls nearby? w

Forgot to mention - killer color saturation!!! w
    edited July 7, 2009
    Mad Cat wrote:

Welcome to DGrin Mad Cat - always nice to meet someone new!

Thanks for your feedback - much appreciated.
    - Christopher
    edited July 8, 2009
    Mad Cat wrote:
    Forgot to mention - killer color saturation!!! w

Hi Wess... Good to see you finally join the DG, warning,, it is addictive....Some awesome peeps on here..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited July 8, 2009
    Just for you Linda....an overwhelming juiced version. :D

585204632_iGpsV-L.jpg
    - Christopher
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice Christopher... I like it.. it knocked me out of my chair, but I like it..:D
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice Christopher... I like it.. it knocked me out of my chair, but I like it..:D

You're too nice Kat. This was actually my attempt at being funny. I've done a lot of reading online about HDR...ventured over to Stuck in Customs. Anyway, to make a long story short......one source said to "never ever go lower than 4 on light smoothing in Photomatix Pro" and that "friends don't let friends do HDR on drugs". rolleyes1.gifI promise, I'm not using drugs.
    - Christopher
    edited July 8, 2009
    Well then as a friend I am going to have to ask you to stop with the HDR..deal.gif

Seriously, I am in the same boat, just learning the HDR stuff too.. I use Dynamic Photo HDR.. It gave me a scare recently with my gun entry though because a lot of these HDR programs strip the exif from the photo, so I found out the hard way..

HDR is soooo fun though.. Here is the link to the software I use.. http://www.mediachance.com/hdri/index.html

Well good luck with whatever you decide to do, I think the Frank Sinatra option opens up a lot of possibilities for sure..thumb.gif

Kat
    edited July 8, 2009
    Hi Wess... Good to see you finally join the DG, warning,, it is addictive....Some awesome peeps on here..thumb.gif

Kat

Yeah I'm starting to feel hooked already. We got some heavy hitters on here..... oh yeah I just figured out that other thing you were talking about, I hope..... Anyway, almost everything I've seen looks like it's produced by people who are passionate about their photography. No lookie - loos trying to blog about their existential angst or loose stools here! Thanks for bringing me in! w
    edited July 8, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Just for you Linda....an overwhelming juiced version. :D

It knocked me out of my chair too. clap.gif Nice! The blue looks a little "electric" on my monitor at work and it seems to be competing with the printed letters. But that's just a minor nit that probably has more to do with this particular monitor than anything else. The reflection in the mirror popped beautifully when you did this treatment and has turned out to be a great point of interest. thumb.gif

Kat's right about some of these HDR programs stripping the exif. If your program strips exif, you'll need to provide a link to one of the original images when you upload your photo to the entry gallery. The judges will be able to get the create date of your photo from that image.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I like the HDR-ish one thumb.gif

There is a action for PS that does quite the same thing and you don't have any problems with the EXIF...
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited July 8, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    It knocked me out of my chair too. clap.gif Nice! The blue looks a little "electric" on my monitor at work and it seems to be competing with the printed letters. But that's just a minor nit that probably has more to do with this particular monitor than anything else. The reflection in the mirror popped beautifully when you did this treatment and has turned out to be a great point of interest. thumb.gif

Kat's right about some of these HDR programs stripping the exif. If your program strips exif, you'll need to provide a link to one of the original images when you upload your photo to the entry gallery. The judges will be able to get the create date of your photo from that image.

Really Linda...this one was for you. rolleyes1.gif I must say that the HDR "juicing" brought out some nice reflections in the garage door windows. So if I can't find a suitable subject for this challenge, guess I could use one of these car wash shots.
    - Christopher