My lens, Tokina 11-16 (Nikon)

dcabarledcabarle Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
edited July 29, 2009 in Cameras
I have this Tokina 11-16 (nikon mount) which I use on a D300. I purchased this lens thinking I'd have an application for it but it really just doesn't interest me. Before I put it up for sale, maybe a few examples to spark my interest in it would make me want to keep it. I dunno.

I've done some searches via google to see what others have shot with the lens but it really appears to be a hobbyists lens and not a pro lens. Am I off base thinking this?

Anyhow, I'd love to see your shots with this lens to spark my interest.

Thanks!
Nikon D300/D700
Nikon 80 - 200 2.8 | Nikon 60mm 2.8 | Nikon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Nikon 24-70 2.8 | Nikon 70 - 180 4.5-5.6/macro (wish you had one, don't you! :))

Comments

• Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    This is an ongoing thread with photos from the Tokina 11-16mm for the Canon mount.
    IMO, the toke is the sharpest and the fastest ultrawide out there for a cropped bodies.
    I sold mine when moving up to full frame but I do miss it from time to time.
    http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=502308
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited July 7, 2009
    The Tokina 11-16mm, f2.8 AT-X PRO DX is certainly capable of professional results. I don't have one but I use the Sigma 10-20mm, f4-f5.6 EX DC HSM for similar applications.

Here are a couple of examples:

258640093_M8DVn-O.jpg

The above was while travelling and I may not get back there for years. It was shot late in the day and there was a picket fence surrounding the yard that I wanted to remove, so the wide-angle lens was justified. The image did have to be straightened and contrast and saturation were adjusted to compensate for the late light.

584919541_vQFmE-O.jpg

Nothing too special here. This is an "establish" shot at a church before a wedding and I saw the groom and all of the groomsmen at the church (early). This is part of the wedding package. The distortion is intentional and obvious, but I think it lends a bit more to a pretty ordinary scene. Not a "critical" shot for the couple but I think these sorts of images lend something to the story of the day.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    it really is a pro level lens. I have one. There common misconceptions about shooting great shots with a wide angle lens though. Shooting wide doesn't simply mean capturing a panoramic shot..though that is a legitimate application. The beauty of shooting wide is that you can get a true sense of depth in your framing by being able to shoot very close objects WITH mid range objects AND far away backgrounds all in the SAME frame. Think 1) forward 2) middle 3)back elements in every shot!

The lens is technically very very good wrt to everything a lens should be (sharpness, vignetting, constant low aperture, contrast, etc).
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • gryphonslair99gryphonslair99 Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Is it a pro lens? Definitely.

Is if for you or should you keep it. Only you can decide whether if fits your style or not. I have the Canon version, and aside from the obvious landscape, wide angle scenic applications, I love mine on at 11mm hung above a backboard on a 40D with a Pocketwizard attached. At f2.8 manually focused on the rim I can get some great slam dunk shots during college basketball season.

p.s. Ziggy, nice shots, especially the first one. Love the colors and the contrast.
  • dcabarledcabarle Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thanks for the input everyone. I think the main thing here is that it doesn't really quite fit into my style. I was looking for a few ideas/samples as to where I might be able to apply this lens but have yet to find any.

Today I should be receiving a 24-70 2.8 nikon lens which I think will fit into my style just right.

Thanks again.
    Nikon D300/D700
    Nikon 80 - 200 2.8 | Nikon 60mm 2.8 | Nikon 85mm 1.8 | Tokina 11-16 2.8 | Nikon 24-70 2.8 | Nikon 70 - 180 4.5-5.6/macro (wish you had one, don't you! :))
  • thegridrunnerthegridrunner Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited July 17, 2009
    keep the lense, try taking landscape HDR's and you will be a changed man!
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2009
    I'm interested in the Tokina if you decide to sell. I'm looking for one, or something similar.

Thanks,
    Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com