Options

Nikon D60 + Sigma 30mm f/1.4

dsloandsloan Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
edited November 4, 2010 in Other Cool Shots
First of all, hello! I am new here. Is there a preferred place on this forum for noobs to introduce themselves and perhaps post a few photos from their past?

For the record, I bought my D60 in May, sold the kit lens and bought the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens, so up to this point, my only dSLR experience has been with that lens. This past weekend I received the 30mm lens in the mail, just in time for 4th of July weekend. These photos are not to showcase my photographic talent (which I definitely do not showcase here), but rather to reflect on my first experience with a prime lens, and a lens that has a very shallow depth of field. Many of these photos I took just to test exactly how shallow the focus was, rather than because of interesting content.

What I have learned: f/1.4 is only useful in certain situations. I regret not stopping down to f/1.8 or f/2 on several occasions, because I had to delete several photos that were essentially worthless because of focusing issues (e.g. - brim of hat instead of face). while i was aware that that is a "side effect" of using such a wide aperture, I didn't realize this issue until i was looking at the photos on my computer monitor rather than the LCD of the camera. obviously the closer one is to the subject of the photo, the more aware one must be of precision focusing.

1. focus point was the left ice cream (my favorite, by the way). even shooting from a slight angle made the labels of the other ice creams blurry.
584228945_khoD7-L.jpg

2. i actually think this photo is pretty cool. i have realized i enjoy photos that show depth, often of the same object (like three isolated trees, each farther away than the next).
584225972_XhAAn-L.jpg

3. here is one photo i almost really love. two sisters looking at each other, but as you can see, i accidentally caught the edge of the large hat as the focus point, and because the faces were an even distance away from the camera, they were both out of focus, even though the very front of the hat looks wonderful. :cry
584229415_6TphE-L.jpg

4. the drink of the gods
584246892_4tKpM-L.jpg

5. pepper
584230384_3fGpw-L.jpg

6. whiskey bottle
584231147_9UDgY-L.jpg

584231889_oR8Rn-L.jpg

584232634_8umzH-L.jpg

7. smores
584233065_HK5xk-L.jpg

584233510_yThgC-L.jpg

8. here is another "almost" photo. i believe the focus here ended up being on the face. just a bit smaller of an aperture and i would've captured more detail in the slate painting.
584241050_dGSJD-XL.jpg

9. and another. focus is on the slate, leaving the face slightly out of focus. kind of frustrating when all it would take for an awesome photo is f/1.8
584243730_7H4MQ-L.jpg

10. cribbage
584244029_pnCh8-L.jpg

thanks for looking, C&C welcome!
D300s : Nikkor 35 f/1.8 : Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 : Sigma 85 f/1.4
won't you like me on facebook?

Comments

• Options
    jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    Looks like a keeper to me!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    dsloan wrote:
    First of all, hello! I am new here. Is there a preferred place on this forum for noobs to introduce themselves and perhaps post a few photos from their past?

For the record, I bought my D60 in May, sold the kit lens and bought the Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3 lens, so up to this point, my only dSLR experience has been with that lens. This past weekend I received the 30mm lens in the mail, just in time for 4th of July weekend. These photos are not to showcase my photographic talent (which I definitely do not showcase here), but rather to reflect on my first experience with a prime lens, and a lens that has a very shallow depth of field. Many of these photos I took just to test exactly how shallow the focus was, rather than because of interesting content.

What I have learned: f/1.4 is only useful in certain situations. I regret not stopping down to f/1.8 or f/2 on several occasions, because I had to delete several photos that were essentially worthless because of focusing issues (e.g. - brim of hat instead of face). while i was aware that that is a "side effect" of using such a wide aperture, I didn't realize this issue until i was looking at the photos on my computer monitor rather than the LCD of the camera. obviously the closer one is to the subject of the photo, the more aware one must be of precision focusing.

1. focus point was the left ice cream (my favorite, by the way). even shooting from a slight angle made the labels of the other ice creams blurry.

2. i actually think this photo is pretty cool. i have realized i enjoy photos that show depth, often of the same object (like three isolated trees, each farther away than the next).

3. here is one photo i almost really love. two sisters looking at each other, but as you can see, i accidentally caught the edge of the large hat as the focus point, and because the faces were an even distance away from the camera, they were both out of focus, even though the very front of the hat looks wonderful. :cry
    4. the drink of the gods
    5. pepper
    6. whiskey bottle
    7. smores
    8. here is another "almost" photo. i believe the focus here ended up being on the face. just a bit smaller of an aperture and i would've captured more detail in the slate painting.
    9. and another. focus is on the slate, leaving the face slightly out of focus. kind of frustrating when all it would take for an awesome photo is f/1.8
    10. cribbage
    thanks for looking, C&C welcome!

Hi there, and Welcome to the Dgrin Forum clap.gifclap.gif

This is the perfect forum for you to do a first posting introductory nod.gif
    "Other Cool Shoots" is a place for things that don't really fit into the other catagories available on Dgrin.

Your Starbucks Icecream shot as me drooling :D
    That lens is lovely and sharp, and your use of such shallow DOF is very creative.

Congatulations on your new gear, thank you for sharing your shots.
    I want some of that icecream now rolleyes1.gif

Hope you will continue to post, happy Shooting thumb.gif .... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    lyewlyew Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 3, 2010
    Hey, thanks for the review. I'm considering getting either the Nikon 35mm f1.8 or this Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my D60 as well. I'm just curious: did you encounter compatibility problems using this third party lens? Ken Rockwell mentions some issues with other Nikon models so I'm worried that this might also be present in the D60:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/30mm-f14.htm
  • Options
    dsloandsloan Registered Users Posts: 86 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2010
    lyew wrote: »
    Hey, thanks for the review. I'm considering getting either the Nikon 35mm f1.8 or this Sigma 30mm f1.4 for my D60 as well. I'm just curious: did you encounter compatibility problems using this third party lens? Ken Rockwell mentions some issues with other Nikon models so I'm worried that this might also be present in the D60:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/sigma/30mm-f14.htm

i encountered no compatibility issues.
    D300s : Nikkor 35 f/1.8 : Nikkor 17-55 f/2.8 : Sigma 85 f/1.4
    won't you like me on facebook?