BayPhoto Spamming SmugMug Customers?

leadZEROleadZERO Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
edited July 13, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I just received an email spam from BayPhoto.com. The only business I've ever done with them was an order I placed through SmugMug a couple weeks ago. I'm worried that this is more than a coincidence and they are harvesting email addresses from people that place orders. Has anyone else noticed this?
Ryan P Sommers
http://www.rpsommers.com/

Canon 5D Mk II

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    leadZERO wrote:
    I just received an email spam from BayPhoto.com. The only business I've ever done with them was an order I placed through SmugMug a couple weeks ago. I'm worried that this is more than a coincidence and they are harvesting email addresses from people that place orders. Has anyone else noticed this?
    It didn't come from SmugMug. I'm guessing it's via WPPI, or some other tradeshow?

In anycase, they have a very friendly opt-out policy:

http://www.bayphoto.com/newsletters_new/unsubscribe.htm?Email=YOUREMAILHERE

SmugMug has a very strict anti-spam policy, and we don't sell, rent, trade, or give your email address to ANYone.
  • leadZEROleadZERO Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 7, 2009
    I had to look up WPPI to even know what it is, and the only trade show I've been to was something local.

As I said, I just find it highly coincidental that within 3 weeks of placing my first order through BayPhoto I begin receiving spam from them. I've never even visited their website...

The email states:

" You are receiving this email because you have a Bay Photo Lab account, placed an order with us or met us at a trade show."

Their own site tells me I don't have an account with them, and I've never met them at a trade show, so that leaves the only other option... Which I did place an order, but it was through Smugmug.

I'm not trying to point fingers, just putting out a warning and seeing if anyone else has noticed this. If no one has, then maybe they got my email address elsewhere (although I still don't like the unsolicited email).
    Ryan P Sommers
    http://www.rpsommers.com/

Canon 5D Mk II
  • patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I have placed multiple orders with bay through SmugMug and have not received any spam.
  • termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I have placed multiple orders with bay through SmugMug and have not received any spam.

x2
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com
  • JMurrayJMurray Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited July 8, 2009
    Just a thought - did you by chance ask SmugMug/BayPhoto to print your e-mail on the back of your prints?
  • FergusonFerguson Registered Users Posts: 1,345 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    In anycase, they have a very friendly opt-out policy:

http://www.bayphoto.com/newsletters_new/unsubscribe.htm?Email=YOUREMAILHERE

SmugMug has a very strict anti-spam policy, and we don't sell, rent, trade, or give your email address to ANYone.

I haven't, don't have a pro account so moot, but do want to touch on a hot button....

I do not consider anyone who requires opt OUT to be 'friendly'.

One should have to opt IN to get spam. Sending it until you opt OUT is better than not letting you opt out, but it is not good.

I use different e-mails for each board/web/whatever at which I register, so I can tell who spams me. I am delighted to have never seen my e-mail used at SmugMug on any spam from anyone. I hope that remains always the case!

And I highly recommend that technique (different e-mails). It is nice to know who abused your trust when you get spam.