Mesmerized

dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
edited July 10, 2009 in Landscapes
On this clear and chilly night at Mount Rainier National Park a nearly full moon shown overhead, bright enough that a headlamp would only be superfluous as I made my way down the winding trails. With absolute stillness in the air and not another person for miles, there was a certain enchantment to the landscape.
<o:p> </o:p>
The moon drifted across the sky and ultimately disappeared behind Mount Tahoma. The ambient light quickly waned, and the sky succumbed to the darkness as it climatically made its way from east to west, exposing the spine of the Milky Way with billions upon billions of points of light glittering the night sky. The shadow of the mountain remained visible in the distance with the faint glow of climbers’ headlamps as they made their early-morning ascent of Rainier’s North face.
<o:p> </o:p>
No photograph could adequately capture the immensity of the scene that lay before me.

583363808_X6tPy-XL-1.jpg

Aperture: f/4
ISO 5000
*Four exposures were stacked in post-processing to reduce noise.

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited July 7, 2009
    Dig it. Love it.

I have a suggestion. In the earlier morning, before the sun even thinks about rising--the sky is changing, poke your head out of the tent and check out the Milky Way. It's much more blue. Check it out thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    This is a really good shot. I love the detail and of course the stars... thumb.gif

Excellent...

EDIT: I am a little curious as to how you managed to avoid the star trails with 4 shots. Were they 20 seconds each or 5 seconds for a total of 20 seconds?

Cheers,
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 8, 2009
    Fabulous! clap.gif

I remember one of the first shots you posted in this forum was a star shot like this. Awesome work.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Awesome work man. I love the climbers lights high on the emmons. Great stuff.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great job, Danny! Love the color you got in the sky! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Amazing, Danny this is so beautiful !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Beautiful. Wonderful contrast between the details in the sky and on the ground.
  • d7freestylerd7freestyler Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    It gives me the sensation that I am there looking at the sky...thumb.gif
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o /><o:p></o:p>
    No photograph could adequately capture the immensity of the scene that lay before me.

amen
    Aaron Nelson
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    amazing, thanks for sharing!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • JackieCPhotographyJackieCPhotography Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Wow! Just incredible!
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Awesomeclap.gif I am guessing you blended two exposures, but you did such a good job, it is difficult to tell.

I understand what Ian is saying about the color of the sky at that time of the night/morning but.............. this looks goodthumb.gif
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I LOVE the sky and the climbers lights!!! thumb.gif
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Dig it. Love it.

I have a suggestion. In the earlier morning, before the sun even thinks about rising--the sky is changing, poke your head out of the tent and check out the Milky Way. It's much more blue. Check it out thumb.gif

Thanks. As this was taken the eastern sky was already starting to get kind of bright. I couldn't hang around much longer, as I wanted to get to Tipsoo Lake for the sunrise. I'll remember this for next time though.
    edited July 9, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    This is a really good shot. I love the detail and of course the stars... thumb.gif

Excellent...

EDIT: I am a little curious as to how you managed to avoid the star trails with 4 shots. Were they 20 seconds each or 5 seconds for a total of 20 seconds?

Cheers,

Thanks, Nikhil! There were four shots, exposed for 20 seconds each. When I went to blend them together to average the noise out, I had to align them because of the movement the stars made in each shot.
    edited July 9, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Fabulous! clap.gif

I remember one of the first shots you posted in this forum was a star shot like this. Awesome work.

Cheers,
    -joel

Good memory. :D
    That photo was taken three years ago with a Canon 20D and much less knowledge on how to do this. I've been wanting to return for a long time to redo it properly and I finally got my chance.
    edited July 9, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    Awesome work man. I love the climbers lights high on the emmons. Great stuff.
    Thank you. It was a pretty sweet sight.
    edited July 9, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Great job, Danny! Love the color you got in the sky! thumb.gif

Thanks but I wish there was a little less light on the horizon. The moon had set about an hour before this was taken but there still seemed to be a glow behind the mountain.
    edited July 9, 2009
    Amazing, Danny this is so beautiful !
    I'm glad you like it! wings.gif
    edited July 9, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Beautiful. Wonderful contrast between the details in the sky and on the ground.

Thank you. The previous version I made of this scene had a pretty boring background. This time I wanted some trees and a meadow. It was very dark out so I had to do a little light painting with my headlamp.
    edited July 9, 2009
    WOW! clap.gif

thumb.gif

That's how I felt when I was standing there taking all this in. I'm glad you were able to say the same thing after seeing this.
    edited July 9, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    It gives me the sensation that I am there looking at the sky...thumb.gif

That's what I was going for! :D
    Thanks for the comment.
    edited July 9, 2009
    amen

It's true but I gave it a try anyway.
    edited July 9, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    amazing, thanks for sharing!
    You're welcome. Thanks for commenting! :D
    edited July 9, 2009
    Awesomeclap.gif I am guessing you blended two exposures, but you did such a good job, it is difficult to tell.

I understand what Ian is saying about the color of the sky at that time of the night/morning but.............. this looks goodthumb.gif

Thanks, Marc. The only blending I did was for averaging out the noise. The mountain really was that bright. There was so much starlight that I guess the snow was able to reflect it. The immediate foreground was brightened via my headlamp.
    edited July 9, 2009
    I LOVE the sky and the climbers lights!!! thumb.gif

Thanks for stopping by and commenting!
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    bowdown.gif

Last weekend while on top of the White Mountains, some hikers we were chatting up mentioned how beautiful the Milky Way is when you're climbing. I'd never seen it before - but now I have! Just gorgeous, and I really, really dig the lights of the climbers on the mountains, too.
    edited July 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    bowdown.gif

Last weekend while on top of the White Mountains, some hikers we were chatting up mentioned how beautiful the Milky Way is when you're climbing. I'd never seen it before - but now I have! Just gorgeous, and I really, really dig the lights of the climbers on the mountains, too.

It's really incredible, isn't it? It's too bad that most people rarely get to view it.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Danny, pretty much no words to describe how incredible your photo is!! Our Creator paints the skies every day and you have done an outstanding job at capturing one of His creations. Extremely well done!!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95