Options

Point Reyes National Seashore - advice?

zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
Planning to spend about four days there next week. Any photographic suggestions of spots that I shouldn't miss?

Thanks!
"Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com

Comments

• Options
    philipwphilipw Registered Users Posts: 118 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I've been to Point Reyes many times, and the lighthouse is a must. You might want to take good telephoto with you if you see a passing whale. This isn't the migration season, but you may be fortunate enough to see one pass by like I did a couple of weeks ago. If you're a hiker too, you can hike out to Tomales Point, and you'll probably see a herd of tule elk. If you like old things, there's Pierce Ranch, now a historical site, at the Tomales Point trailhead. McClures Beach, not far from Pierce Ranch, can offer some really fantastic seasacpes and shore features. If the lighting conditions are right, the cliffs can look really orange. The hike from Bear Valley to Arch Rock can also offer some really nice landscape images, and once out to Arch Rock, you can capture some wonderful seascapes. Point Reyes is just loaded with photo opportunities. Have fun!

Philip
  • Options
    Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    One of my favorite places. Limatour Beach should be one of your first stops. Drive past the welcome center and take the 1st road on your left. There are 2 parking lots. The first one on the left is usually easier to find a spot.
    You can find Elk, Hawks, Coyote, Bobcat, Kites, tons of songbirds and the occasional whale from this spot. There are a few trails that are worth taking the time.

The lighthouse is closed on Tuesdays and Wednesdays but still worth stopping by. You won't be able to get close to it, but the parking lot is empty and you can stop at the overlook area just above it for photos of the sea lions, whales, tons of shore birds, elk, deer, every predator bird that is local to the area, and plenty of coyote. Depending on the fog, you can see the Farallon Islands. The Humpback whales are still coming through pretty frequently.

If the fog isn't too heavy, drive up Mt Vision Road for panoramic views of the seashore.
    If you stay to the right upon entering the park you end up on Pierce point rd. A dozen or so historic farms offers some great images of the Happy California Cows. This takes you directly through the Tule Elk reserve. You often have to hike up the hill to get to them, but worth it.
    While they are used to seeing people, I suggest not getting too close. A 300 pound Elk chasing you back down the hill isn't as fun as it sounds.

The town of Pt Reyes is a nice spot but to get decent pics, you need to swing through pretty early in the day. The fog tends to come in early and stay late, so keep that in mind. You can always leave the park and drive a few miles up Rt 1 to Stinson Beach and Bolenas. Both are great spots to catch Egrets, Herons and the occasional sea lion.

Mt Tam is located just above here and has enough photo ops to keep you busy for years.

I highly suggest that you bring a long lens for the many birds you will see, a macro lens for the various flowers and bugs, and a wide lens for those breathtaking views of the ocean and rolling hills.

There are a couple of places where you have to pay to get in and park. Don't. Drive past them a few feet and you will find many places to park for free and you can walk into those areas.

Within a short drive of Pt Reyes, be sure to check out Taylor state park, Mt Tam, make the drive along Rt 1 for those stunning views, Roys Redwoods, some cute towns like Fairfax, Sausalito and Mill Valley, and of course the famed Marin Headlands.

Have fun and take plenty of mem cards! (Be sure to take a jacket with you at all times. The weather at Pt Reyes can change to cold in a manner of minutes).
    Steve

Website
  • Options
    zoebluezoeblue Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great suggestions!
    Thanks for the advice! My cousin and I will be there for about 4-5 days and from the sound of it, I'll really need a few years to really explore this place. That's what vacations are for.

Hiking is one of my favorite things to do, so we'll definitely be checking out the places you've suggested and we'll be sure to not get too close to the elk. Sounds like you've got an interesting story regarding these animals :D. I've always been an outdoor girl and have a healthy respect for wildlife so no worries there.

Zoe
    "Life is unchartered territory. It reveals its story one moment at a time." (Leo Buscaglia)

www.zoebluephotography.com
  • Options
    a110p0a110p0 Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Abbotts Lagoon is another spot.

Check out the grounded trawler "Point Reyes" in Inverness.

Also the tree lined road leading to the historic Marconi/RCA wireless station.

Article about Point Reyes in the Chronicle.

Here's a map of the area.

Have fun.

Alvin
    Alvin
    Fremont, CA
    SmugMug Gallery