Options

Suggestions for shooting motocross

NorthernHorseNorthernHorse Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
edited July 28, 2009 in Sports
I'm trying to update my style this year and was wondering if anyone has some ideas for more exciting shots that customers are looking for in motocross? Like closeups on the rider, shots of them from the back as they go over a jump etc. Any tips are appreciated. I have the corner shots down as they really love the rooster tails.
:barb
Lara Poirrier
Fairbanks, Alaska SMUG Leader
My Site | Fairbanks SMUG | Facebook | Twitter

Comments

• Options
    rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I'd say check out the monster thread on this

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=127923
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I've decided that I'm going to start playing with white balance to get some artsy pics. My track has a race this weekend but my shoulder hasn't healed enough from the 6 hour surgery I had a few weeks ago. So maybe in two weeks I'll be good to go. Then I'll post some.
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    edited July 16, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I've decided that I'm going to start playing with white balance to get some artsy pics. My track has a race this weekend but my shoulder hasn't healed enough from the 6 hour surgery I had a few weeks ago. So maybe in two weeks I'll be good to go. Then I'll post some.

I've been processing most of my pictures between 6500-7000 on the white balance that my riders seem to really dig. It makes the dirt just pop and also the colors on their clothes.
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    edited July 22, 2009
    I did check that thread out already....I'm looking for ideas for new angles and more of what riders are looking for. I don't ride mx, my kids do. I primarily shoot whoops, jumps and corners. Occasionally accidents although usually I'm more concerned about the riders than getting the crash captured.
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    BCSPhotoguyBCSPhotoguy Registered Users Posts: 265 Major grins
    edited July 22, 2009
    I did check that thread out already....I'm looking for ideas for new angles and more of what riders are looking for..

Interesting question. I have asked 10 riders and gotten 10 answers. I dont think you can ever go wrong with someone stuffing it into a corner of a nice sandy berm or just about any jump picture - just include some of the jump to show height. Get as many riders as you can in the frame. As for PP. What you like, the rider may not and what they like, you may not. I tried using plug-ins that add contrast - other photographers hated it! So i stuck with it - cause the riders loved it!:D

Try some things and run them by your kids! Like you said - they ride! They will be brutally honest too - mine were!!! Show us some samples while youre at it.
    ...more to come!
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    6728_99178642956_39063177956_2229571_1386028_n.jpg
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    6728_99178612956_39063177956_2229565_2635459_n.jpg
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    edited July 23, 2009
    5092_91815287956_39063177956_2106326_5848515_n.jpg
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2009
    Hey Northern Horse
    I tweeked your one pic just to see if i could make look a little different.
    600057587_25Mds-L.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    edited July 25, 2009
    rmwphoto wrote:
    Hey Northern Horse
    I tweeked your one pic just to see if i could make look a little different.
    600057587_25Mds-L.jpg

Thanks that looks great! I'm just trying to figure out if I should really make the pictures pop and highlights be damned, or if I should shoot tighter on the rider and not try to include the rooster tail so much.
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    amadeusamadeus Registered Users Posts: 2,125 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2009
    I'm trying to update my style this year and was wondering if anyone has some ideas for more exciting shots that customers are looking for in motocross? Like closeups on the rider, shots of them from the back as they go over a jump etc. Any tips are appreciated. I have the corner shots down as they really love the rooster tails.
    wings.gif

thats a good question. I'm not a big fan of jump shots, though they obviously are great and high on the list. maybe not a big fan isn't the best way to put it, jump shots are cool, but freestyle seems to have diminished their image.

anyway what I like is that magic moment of a rider and bike being on the gas and coming hard. not necessarily a corner shot, it can be a dead straight line, or somewhat of a curve, but when the bike and rider are squared up and coming hard to me that is where the best stuff can be found.

from 2 weeks ago.

600052562_q48WU-X2.jpg
  • Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2009
    Here's a highspeed shoot coming at me.
    603227118_wLaht-L.jpg
    600032026_pBeLd-L.jpg
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Your skies are blown, no CP?
    Rags
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    This is a tough question to fill in.. What one rider likes the others may not ~ Just as it is for one photographer to the next, liking or disliking your images or style if you will,I feel we all have our own style in beded into us waiting to come out at some point in the game of learning .

My advise in shooting moto and thats all it is !

Look for unusual angles
    Different vantage points
    Try Night moto with flash
    Get up close with wide angle not just the 200mm get the 17mm out fun stuff theremwink.gif
    Do some HDR on them from time to time
    And the one that took me along time to realize ! Don't forget about candid shots around the pits those at least for me get a ton of sales.

Regards Ed
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    torags wrote:
    Your skies are blown, no CP?

If you are referring to me, there is no sky because in the background there is wildfire smoke. We live and race in Alaska, where there is usually half the summer tied up with wildfires and living with smoke.

What is CP?
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    If you are referring to me, there is no sky because in the background there is wildfire smoke. We live and race in Alaska, where there is usually half the summer tied up with wildfires and living with smoke.

What is CP?

Something that you should always have on your lens if you are shooting outdoors in the sunlight.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/B+W-77mm-MRC-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-Review.aspx
    Come see my Photos at:
    http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Nwestrnr wrote:
    Look for unusual angles...Different vantage points...Try Night moto with flash
    Towards the end of my "career" :D as an MX photographer I started carrying a small ladder. Got me only about 4' off the ground, but it was enough. I would place it inside a tight turn and shoot down on the riders. It was an interesting and different vantage point. While shooting karts I started shooting low. Really low. Like laid out on my belly with the camera on the ground low. Got some very striking shots that way, but never tried it in MX. And night shots are killer, but there is a lot of technique in capture, lots of work in post production. Its worth it in the end though, and the parents will never get those shots on their own. The other problem with night shots is, unlike day, the equipment can make your day. I shot night with a 1-series, a 24-70/2.8 Canon, and a 580EX with an external battery pack. The 20D I used to use could not focus fast enough or accurate enough at night.

This one was bought as a 20x30 pic and came out great.
    86425594_RjmgZ-M.jpg
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Something that you should always have on your lens if you are shooting outdoors in the sunlight.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/B+W-77mm-MRC-Circular-Polarizer-Filter-Review.aspx

Thanks for the explanation, I do have that filter.
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    Nwestrnr wrote:
    This is a tough question to fill in.. What one rider likes the others may not ~ Just as it is for one photographer to the next, liking or disliking your images or style if you will,I feel we all have our own style in beded into us waiting to come out at some point in the game of learning .

My advise in shooting moto and thats all it is !

Look for unusual angles
    Different vantage points
    Try Night moto with flash
    Get up close with wide angle not just the 200mm get the 17mm out fun stuff theremwink.gif
    Do some HDR on them from time to time
    And the one that took me along time to realize ! Don't forget about candid shots around the pits those at least for me get a ton of sales.

Regards Ed

Thanks for the suggestions, these are great! Except here in Alaska....there is no night riding.thumb.gif
    Lara Poirrier
  • Options
    NwestrnrNwestrnr Registered Users Posts: 56 Big grins
    edited July 28, 2009
    Thanks for the suggestions, these are great! Except here in Alaska....there is no night riding.thumb.gif

There just suggestions , We don't have much night racing here in Idaho either But when we do I'm sure to do my best with it for that reason mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2009
    Nwestrnr wrote:
    There just suggestions , We don't have much night racing here in Idaho either But when we do I'm sure to do my best with it for that reason mwink.gif

The only night riding we have is in September at Supercross which is indoors. The rest of the year is outdoors in daylight because of the long amount of sunlight we have in the summertime. At the state racing in July here in Fairbanks, they were still going at 8pm in full sunlight. eek7.gifDrolleyes1.gif
    Lara Poirrier