Ivan portrait (2 img)

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited June 21, 2005 in People
Dear friends!
We, here in Russia, have also patronymic names. Being young, we are called by the name and surname (Yuri Pautov for example, or just Yuri)
But as we grow, our father's name starts to be used - (Yuri Nikolaievitch Pautov. My father's name was Nikolai).
This man is old enough :-) to be called Ivan Karpovitch.
Karpovitch is his patronymic name - his father was Karp (d'you know such a fish - Carp?)

What do you think of these two:
1 Color

2515.jpg
2 B&w
2514.jpg

which one is better?
Spasibo,
Yuri

Comments

• DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    I prefer the B/W, but both are great as usual! He's got a Henry Fonda look to him, don't you think?
  • SeeMoonSeeMoon Banned Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    I like the B&W one better; the detail of the skin is outstanding; I love it! It also makes it a timeless portrait, it could have been taken 40 years ago. I also like the expression, I'm not sure what he's thinking, it makes me wonder.. Usually I like a portrait either thightly cropped or showing something more that tells me something about the person, like his profession or mood for example. But in this case just showing the face works very well!

Yuri; others have said the same, you're an inspiration! thumb.gif
  • MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Yuri,
    there is *no way* I can pick a favorite from these two. They are both excellent examples of portraiture. The color shot shows the intensity of the blue eyes, the black and white brings out the character of the man. They both *work* and stand on their own merits.

There is a resemblance to Henry Fonda (the eyes) as DJ said, and the timelessness of the black and white as Simone said.

I'm curious as to why he looks angry or bitter? Is this a friend or someone you just met?

Great work as usual!
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    B&W all the way. Very nice.thumb.gif
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    The weathered skin in the B&W is very dramatic compared to the colour. Really adds to the character of the shot.thumb.gif

Brad
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Hi Yuri,
    I too like the B&W one better. It makes him seem older, but in a complimentary way. #1 looks like he is scowling at the camera, the eyes and expression not nearly as strong as in the second one. I get a sense of sadness in #2, just to pose and eyes. Again, I feel #2 conveys more emotion than #1. Both are good, #2 is better.

Usually I prefer high contrast in B&W, but this works for me. I really like to tonality of his skin in #2.

On an average, how many shots do you get of a subject before one of you call it quits?

Thanks for the cultural lesson too,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Yuri wonderful as always.

Carp is a main ingrediant in gefilte fish. My Grandmother made the best around..
  • Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Spasibo vsem!
    Thank you all for your comments, critique and good words!
    Yuri
  • traunerktraunerk Registered Users Posts: 513 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    B&W for me...
    Yuri...

The black and white has that "haunting" look and is quite special. thumb.gif Of course, almost all of your portraits are special in one way or another. Terrific body of work...clap.gifclapclap.gif

Regards....Keith
    Beam me outta here!:winkKT
    edited June 21, 2005
    Spasibo, Keith!
    Yuri
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Yuri, I love that shot! As usual.

I think the color or blk/white issue is a perfect example of something I saw when I first started photography....................so many yrs ago.

The same photo takes on different meanings depending on whether it is in color, or in blk/white, sometimes.

I would use the blk/white as a depressing view of an old man, probably a derelict, love derelicts, am just terrified of them. The color I would use for a Paul Newman type outdoorsy type person of age.

That is my take on the thing.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited June 21, 2005
    Spasibo for such an interesting for me comment, Ginger!
    Yuri