Garden of the Gods

hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
edited July 10, 2009 in Landscapes
A few shots from Garden of the Gods in Colorado Springs.

This is actually quite a place. This is actually a city park that was donated 100 years ago by a wealthy resident. The stipulation was that it had to be free to the public in perpetuity.

The area is full of sandstone uplifts that produce these beautiful opportunities throughout the park. I was chasing clouds for about 2 hours waiting for holes to open and flood the valley with light.

C&C always welcome. I processed these a little darker so I would appreciate comments.

#1 Yucca Blooms

585452744_w4UhZ-L.jpg

579308046_f9J3s-L.jpg

579308702_aaPmv-L.jpg

585452953_ts8tG-L.jpg

Thanks for looking...

Comments

• Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great shots!!!

I miss GOTG! I used to live down the road near GOTG/I-25. I want to go back! :)
  • patsy easleypatsy easley Registered Users Posts: 91 Big grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    These are beautiful! We just moved from Colorado Springs to Texas about six months ago. Garden of the Gods is one of the things I miss the most.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Wow, quite a place. Excellent captures. Looks like you decided to process these with quite a bit of contrast which is fine, but now I want to see one (just curious) with very little contrast just for comparison. I think #1 is my favorite. Good job here Tom clap.gif

Dan
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice shots Tom. I agree with Dan,

a trifle too rich (but that's personal preference)

Still very nice - excellent comp, looks like a nice place.

Rags
    Rags
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great series, Tom! I really like #'s 2 and 3. The light on the rocks are heavenly! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I see you had success in your light quest! Wonderful images.
    Aaron Nelson
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    These are beautiful! We just moved from Colorado Springs to Texas about six months ago. Garden of the Gods is one of the things I miss the most.

Agree 100% (about missing GOTG the most!) That and .... well... pretty much EVERYTHING!!!
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Great series! I really love #2 & #3. It sure was worth the wait for the right light.
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice shots, Tom.
    But...where are the kissing camels? Or the balanced rock?
    We made a drive through last year on vacation. Naturally it was the middle of the day!
    I'd like to go back and spend some time shooting the rocks.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thanks everyone for the kind words.

For those looking for some other shots (camels kissing and rocks balancing) you can look here if interested.

Thanks again..
    edited July 8, 2009
    I see you had success in your light quest! Wonderful images.

Thanks Aaron. My wife was beginning to wonder what exactly I was expecting. There was one cloud that wouldn't quite move enough to bring in the light but then finally did for a few minutes.
    edited July 8, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Wow, quite a place. Excellent captures. Looks like you decided to process these with quite a bit of contrast which is fine, but now I want to see one (just curious) with very little contrast just for comparison. I think #1 is my favorite. Good job here Tom clap.gif

Dan
    Thanks for the comments, Dan.

What I was trying to do throughout this trip was expose somewhat bright to get the dynamic range in the picture. I was also using a circular polarizer and a Grad ND. For a lot of my shots I did something Marc Muench suggested. I went into Photoshop, duplicated the background image, and applied it with a Multiply blending mode. Then dialed back the opacity and masked to taste.

I took the first and last image and reworked for lower contrast. That principally involved reducing the opacity in the Multiply layer. Here are the results. I'll let you judge.

585841553_dpHjf-L.jpg

585610010_FRShC-L.jpg

I was trying to bring out the details in all the pictures by keeping them a little dark.

Thanks for looking..
  • jstpeterjstpeter Registered Users Posts: 143 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    your first is a great image with great DOP balancing the blooms in the forground and the rocks and sky in the back ground.
    Would love to hear from you on my blog, or website!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    All are beautiful images. Good work! thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2009
    Well, I must say that I personally prefer the ones you re-did by a lot.. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif This photography stuff is so subjective, but that's my preference. Thanks for posting these. I'd be curious to hear what others thinkheadscratch.gif

Dan:D
    edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Well, I must say that I personally prefer the ones you re-did by a lot.. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif This photography stuff is so subjective, but that's my preference. Thanks for posting these. I'd be curious to hear what others thinkheadscratch.gif

Dan:D

I'm with you Dan. The reworked versions do look better on my monitor as well. Great job, Tom!

Mahesh
    edited July 9, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    I'm with you Dan. The reworked versions do look better on my monitor as well. Great job, Tom!

Thanks Dan and Mahesh for the comments. The first shot I could go either way on the post. The second one I'm still leaning towards the darker version.

I think I know the answer here but I'll ask. Are you both running calibrated monitors with color managed browsers? I know that Internet Explorer isn't color managed and some pictures can look really odd there even on a calibrated monitor. Firefox is managed, but has to be turned on. Dan, if I'm remembering properly I think you are running on a Mac which is managed.

Thanks for the comments. It's all very helpful.
    edited July 9, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Thanks Dan and Mahesh for the comments. The first shot I could go either way on the post. The second one I'm still leaning towards the darker version.

I think I know the answer here but I'll ask. Are you both running calibrated monitors with color managed browsers? I know that Internet Explorer isn't color managed and some pictures can look really odd there even on a calibrated monitor. Firefox is managed, but has to be turned on. Dan, if I'm remembering properly I think you are running on a Mac which is managed.

Calibrated Mac and Safari, sometimes Firefox.
    edited July 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Calibrated Mac and Safari, sometimes Firefox.

Thanks, Dan. Just what I thought.

The lighter second image is beginning to grow on me.
    edited July 10, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:

Me too...Mac with calibrated monitor and Safari browser.

Mahesh
    edited July 10, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Me too...Mac with calibrated monitor and Safari browser.
    clap.gifclap.gifwings.gif