#29 Since it was mentioned...

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited July 15, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Linda mentioned moonshots in another thread... which is exactly what I was working on last night :)

I'm between telephotos at the moment because I sold my 55-250 at the weekend (wish I'd kept it one more day, darnit - i could have used it last night!) and my new telephoto doesn't arrive till day ::looks out window impatiently for brown truck carrying my new-to-me 200L:: (first L glass - very exciting!). I took this with my 100 and I think it's just not long enough to make this work once cropped down.

However, here is my first and rather pathetic idea, but FWIW (maybe posting for feedback will get the creative juices flowing again):

"Blue Moon", of course :D (See? SEE?? I can't get past LITERAL. :rolleyes)
The other possibility might be "Ain't it a pretty night" (Susannah's big aria from Carlisle Floyd's 20th-century opera "Susannah"), which opens

Ain't it a pretty night!
The sky's so dark and velvet-like,
And all lit up with stars....

585483491_yzzv9-L.jpg

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I had the same idea Diva (Blue Moon). No sweat, I'm not doing it.

No arias please, just songs rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Otherwise I would have to do one of Puccini's.

Dan:D :D
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    I had the same idea Diva (Blue Moon). No sweat, I'm not doing it.

No arias please, just songs rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif Otherwise I would have to do one of Puccini's.

Dan:D :D

I was thinking about Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    I was thinking about Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata

rolleyes1.gif

:soapbox

Not.
    A.
    Song.

/:soapbox
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    ALL I will say is that mine will be about a flower.... And I'm perplexed as to why I'm even letting you know that much....
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    I think you really need to localize the Blue to only the Moon.

Fwiw, is this cropped more than 100%? It really has some clarity issues, I like the idea on theme, but getting the shot with the right gear will help immensely. (rent a 600mm and use a Tripod to match)
    Aaron Nelson
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    So glad I didn't get that moon shot last night. It couldn't have looked this nice.

Like Aaron suggested, I would like to see how it looks with just the moon in blue if you can. I don't know if I would like it better or not. I kinda like the blue stars also.
    edited July 8, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    So glad I didn't get that moon shot last night. It couldn't have looked this nice.

Like Aaron suggested, I would like to see how it looks with just the moon in blue if you can. I don't know if I would like it better or not. I kinda like the blue stars also.

Why... you could have had a full spectrum one mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thanks all. I'm amazed that nobody else posted a moon yet - I actually shot this before checking and was SO surprised when there wasn't one already in the gallery!
    I think you really need to localize the Blue to only the Moon.

Fwiw, is this cropped more than 100%? It really has some clarity issues, I like the idea on theme, but getting the shot with the right gear will help immensely. (rent a 600mm and use a Tripod to match)

Yes, it is seriously cropped from a shot with a 100mm lens, which was my query when I posted it. No rentals for me alas - can't spend another bean on photography for quite a while ... :(

Does the blue show up in the background overall? On my monitor it looks black, with only the blue noise showing coloured.
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Hi Diva...wave.gif

I like your idea..

Here is my take on it:

The electric blue stars in the black are competing with the beautiful soft-tone blue in the moon, and you really want the moon the center of attention.

However, I think it would look pretty with some tiny little white stars up there and our minds are so "accustomed" to seeing the white stars that they would not dominate the composition if you keep them small. :D

I too love the moon, but do not have the right lens to shoot it yet either.. If you can make it a "little" bigger in the frame that would help too, but not sure you can do that with the lens you have at the moment.

Nice idea and nice capture Diva...thumb.gif
    Definitely a work of art in progress..

Kat
    edited July 8, 2009

Definitely a work of art in progress..

Kat

I like you personal artistic touch too :D
    Travelways.com
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    There is nothing more that I could add to what has already been mentioned. I too vote for keeping the stars white.

Many possibilities here. :D
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited July 8, 2009
    Thanks all.

Your responses are an intriguing example of how we often see what we expect (instead of what's there) since the "stars" are not start trails at all, but exaggerated noise that I created when I pushed the fill light and brightness sliders to max in LR, having used the WB tool to make the moon blue. Seriously, this was a down and dirty edit!!!

I'll play with it some more - it may be worth resampling/upsizing the moon rather than cropping, and if it clears up I may try again tonight (it's cloudy now, so last night may well have been a one-time-only opp. Oh well)

Thanks!
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Seriously? Those aren't stars, is that what you are saying? Well, I wouldn't have known the difference. I was wishing I could get stars like that!
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Thanks all.

Your responses are an intriguing example of how we often see what we expect (instead of what's there) since the "stars" are not start trails at all, but exaggerated noise that I created when I pushed the fill light and brightness sliders to max in LR, having used the WB tool to make the moon blue. Seriously, this was a down and dirty edit!!!

You might be coming at this from the wrong direction. Instead of achieving a blue moon the way you did, try adding a layer overtop the moon's layer. Fill it with blue and change the layer type to either Overlay or Color. Then play with the Hue & Saturation and the Opacity until the moon looks the way you want it. After that, simply use your layer mask and remove all of the coloring over the stars leaving just the moon colored. And since you said that these aren't really stars to begin with, go ahead and add your own. I think this may give you more of what you're looking for. Can't wait to see the results.
    — Kevin
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    and my new telephoto doesn't arrive till day ::looks out window impatiently for brown truck carrying my new-to-me 200L:: (first L glass - very exciting!).

It always starts off so innocently with the first L lens.... then 10 lenses later you wonder what the hell happened. But you always remember your first :D
    edited July 9, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    It always starts off so innocently with the first L lens.... then 10 lenses later you wonder what the hell happened. But you always remember your first :D

Yes, I can see it going that way.... rolleyes1.gif I think it's fair to say it gave me a sharper capture, even though this was THROUGH CLOUD while the first one was a cloudless, clear night.

I'm not convinced this is a challenge entry (yet), but I'm definitely pleased to have made a decent capture of the moon, blue or otherwise :D

586352155_n9NtL-L.jpg
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Pretty cool! Can't wait to see what you can do on a clear night. thumb.gif
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Wow, dramatically different results. This is nice!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Lookin' GOOD! thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2009
    Looks much better Diva, thumb.giflove the new stars.... but for some reason I get the feeling "your" not convinced of it.. headscratch.gifD

Kat
    edited July 10, 2009
    Looks much better Diva, thumb.giflove the new stars.... but for some reason I get the feeling "your" not convinced of it.. headscratch.gifD

Kat

I just feel like it's incomplete - what's there is fine, it's just... all alone. Which perhaps is text-appropriate, but since I have a few days to think about it still, I will. :D
    edited July 10, 2009
    I definitely see where you are coming from.. when you mentioned something was missing, I could not help but think of it reflecting the blue onto some lake water..

Well I have confidence you will work it out, you always bring something great to the table.. Good luck.. and your way ahead of me, I just cannot make my mind up..

Kat
    edited July 10, 2009
    Very nice moon shot, indeed - but yes maybe you can find something to add to the image...

.... a lake maybe,.... also, what about some clouds... headscratch.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited July 10, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I just feel like it's incomplete - what's there is fine, it's just... all alone. Which perhaps is text-appropriate, but since I have a few days to think about it still, I will. :D

What you show in your post 17 is a much more compelling image than in your initial post, mostly because it looks more like and unaltered image, not a filtered version..

This will be an interesting round to see develop, but keep in mind that you have still a few weeks left to get this done. Why not clear your mind by listening to a lot of music this weekend and see if something better comes up..
    Mark
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    ok very cool shot.....just made Black Oak Arkansas's MoonShine Sonata crawl thru my head.........

Diva.....can't it be a sonata and a song also......BOA's MoonShine Sonata has lyrics toward the end.......but itis like 10 minutes of instrumental joy from a hillbilly rock band
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 10, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    ok very cool shot.....just made Black Oak Arkansas's MoonShine Sonata crawl thru my head.........

BOA?? That takes me back... Man, you are up there in the hills, aren't you..:D
    Mark
    edited July 11, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:

Diva.....can't it be a sonata and a song also......BOA's MoonShine Sonata has lyrics toward the end.......but itis like 10 minutes of instrumental joy from a hillbilly rock band

Hmmm.... that seems to me to fall into "grey area", but with lyrics I guess it probably counts. rolleyes1.gif

Ok, here's an idea: same image, different song. Funny how it changes the entire perception, at least to me. There's a sermon in that somewhere.....

Pisen Rusalky O Mesiku (Song of the Moon), Rusalka's aria from Rusalka

(Here it is sung by Anna Netrebko, opera's current Eye-Candy soprano, and here sung by the magnificent, late and much-lamented Bohemian soprano Lucia Popp, who died far too young)

O moon high up in the deep, deep sky,
    Your light sees far away regions,
    You travel round the wide,
    Wide world peering into human dwellings
    O, moon, stand still for a moment,
    Tell me, ah, tell me where is my lover!
    Tell him. please, silvery moon in the sky,
    That I am hugging him firmly,
    That he should for at least a while
    Remember his dreams!
    Light up his far away place,
    Tell him, ah, tell him who is here waiting!
    If he is dreaming about me,
    May this remembrance waken him!
    O, moon, don't disappear, disappear!
    edited July 11, 2009
    If I had the right lens,,,,, I would be shooting the moon for this song all day long... well. that is if I could get my husband to cooperate.. hehehe..:ivar
    I love this song..iloveyou.gif all ya need is a manly element..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWrNCCx2p5U&feature=related
  • The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Yes, I can see it going that way.... rolleyes1.gif I think it's fair to say it gave me a sharper capture, even though this was THROUGH CLOUD while the first one was a cloudless, clear night.

I'm not convinced this is a challenge entry (yet), but I'm definitely pleased to have made a decent capture of the moon, blue or otherwise :D

586352155_n9NtL-L.jpg

I love it. It changed the whole atmosphere of the image. Nice work.
  • Dave PDave P Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    "Rocket Man," and "Space Oddity" immediately popped into my head.

I like the new image much better, as well. It's very soothing.