Using Rails for Focus Stacking

QuietlightQuietlight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 9, 2009 in Holy Macro
So far as a novice with only three focus stacking photos to my credit, I've been changing focus on my lens with the camera fixed on a tripod, in order to get all the different focal points I need for my composite. Today I borrowed a 4-way rail from a friend and I'm not sure how to use the rails for the best results possible?

From what I understand, keeping the focus locked in, you basically move the camera on a vertical axis, front-to-back or back-to-front, correct? The horizontal axis rail is only for getting the perspective to what you need to, correct?

Your help would be most appreciated. THANKS!

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Quietlight wrote:
    So far as a novice with only three focus stacking photos to my credit, I've been changing focus on my lens with the camera fixed on a tripod, in order to get all the different focal points I need for my composite. Today I borrowed a 4-way rail from a friend and I'm not sure how to use the rails for the best results possible?

From what I understand, keeping the focus locked in, you basically move the camera on a vertical axis, front-to-back or back-to-front, correct? The horizontal axis rail is only for getting the perspective to what you need to, correct?

Your help would be most appreciated. THANKS!

Hi Yes if you are using focus rails then just move the the camera on the front to back axis between shots to cover the required DOF with fixed focus on the lens.
    Brian V.