Rt66 Pinup Shots -- Mr. D'z

kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
edited July 16, 2009 in People
This is from the same shoot as my previous post, Best View in Kingman . Just to recap, I got to bum around Rt66 in Kingman with my very own pin-up model for a few hours. These are some shots with a car at Mr. D'z, a Kingman landmark.

(Funny story about the car. The reason I met Cherelynn is because she needed a photographer to shoot her with a nice hot-rod car in Laughlin that she had lined-up. The photo was to be submitted with an application to an NHRA paid gig in Las Vegas. Unfortunately, the car fell through. Cherelynn decided to come to Kingman to get some shots anyway because it was about 15 degrees cooler than Laughlin (it was only 100F in Kingman). On my way to meet her, I see this oddball wreck of a jalopy parked outside of a laundromat. So I went inside, found the owner, and talked him into taking it to Mr. D'z for the shoot. The guy was a really-good-sport, and hey, the car was better than nothing. :D )

Here are a few shots we got.

577824202_eiJ6p-XL.jpg

579266460_CZ7ry-L.jpg

585776720_sacQT-L.jpg

584524308_yB7eN-L.jpg

585943964_JQsbt-L.jpg

579267842_sDp9K-XL.jpg

578581698_ePLJg-L.jpg

8 "Get your Kicks on Rt66" :D
578004267_Svw7u-XL.jpg

BTW, that's John on the right, the good sport who owned the car!

Thanks for looking, and Comments Appreciated!

-joel

Comments

• MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    great concept!!!! 4 and 5 are my favorites. CC time?? The variable lighting is really distracting... I definatly appreciate the back drop as this is a vintage theme.. but between BOTH the car and the back scene... it feels like a clutter competition and my attention keeps getting drawn away from the woman. Perhaps do one total scene shot... then change your focus back to the woman... and move her around the scene..from the car...to the bright wall on the building... use a shallow DOF to blur out anything that takes the main attention away from her. Over all great job!!!!!clap.gif
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    IMHO... I find all the various elements in the photo, including her tattoos, very distracting.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Hey Joel....Pin ups are a blast! I'll bet you had fun. Each of these images need some PS help and pin-up styles generally are bold in color with lots of light (in the right places of course) and have a painterly feel to them. These type of shots tell a story about the location, mood, genre, etc. oftentimes. Sure, we could do pretty much anything we like but for the heck of it, here's one of my "visions" of how to process them. This was simply done with your Jpeg but should shed some light on some elegant processing: I also added catchlights to her eyes. Hope you don't mind..if so, I'll remove.

586087926_nk6E3-X2.jpg
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Great story Joel. rolleyes1.gif Way to think on your feet and take action. thumb.gif Looks like you had a blast. :ivar I like 3 and 4 the best.clap.gif

I'm hoping Nik, or maybe you now, bring some models on our trip rolleyes1.gif

Dan
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    great concept!!!! 4 and 5 are my favorites. CC time?? The variable lighting is really distracting... I definatly appreciate the back drop as this is a vintage theme.. but between BOTH the car and the back scene... it feels like a clutter competition and my attention keeps getting drawn away from the woman. Perhaps do one total scene shot... then change your focus back to the woman... and move her around the scene..from the car...to the bright wall on the building... use a shallow DOF to blur out anything that takes the main attention away from her. Over all great job!!!!!clap.gif

Thanks, MissB! Good comments. You're absolutely right that a shallower DOF would have helped these shots. That's what happens when a landscape photographer attempts portraits. rolleyes1.gif I'll definitely keep this in mind next time.

-joel
    edited July 9, 2009
    IMHO... I find all the various elements in the photo, including her tattoos, very distracting.

Thanks for the comments.

Regards,
    -joel
    edited July 9, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hey Joel....Pin ups are a blast! I'll bet you had fun. Each of these images need some PS help and pin-up styles generally are bold in color with lots of light (in the right places of course) and have a painterly feel to them. These type of shots tell a story about the location, mood, genre, etc. oftentimes. Sure, we could do pretty much anything we like but for the heck of it, here's one of my "visions" of how to process them. This was simply done with your Jpeg but should shed some light on some elegant processing: I also added catchlights to her eyes. Hope you don't mind..if so, I'll remove.
    Swartzy, your post works is amazing, as always. bowdown.gif Thanks for the inspiration. If you ever hold a clinic on post-processing, I'm so there. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    A really great set of portraits and i like seeing the tats in this set as semi hidden in the last.....but not really pin up.....to me.........when I think pin up I think .......Vargus girls............not nude.....but slathering, slinky, swimsuit or as near to nothing as possible sexy and leaving the imagination to swealter...........Betty Boop when she was in B-suits and such but not when in pant suits or dresses....now this is just me.......

I could easily use your model for what i want to shoot for the current challenge as she just has that......well ALL THAT!!!
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Great story Joel. rolleyes1.gif Way to think on your feet and take action. thumb.gif Looks like you had a blast. :ivar I like 3 and 4 the best.clap.gif

Dan
    Hey Dan, it really was a lot of fun. And I'm learning, so it's all good.

BTW, Nik does a little modeling himself you know. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:

Dan
    I'm hoping to get some in St.George on Thursday... But none confirmed thus far... ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 9, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    I'm hoping to get some in St.George on Thursday... But none confirmed thus far... ne_nau.gif
    clap.gifclap.gifwings.gif
    edited July 15, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Ok, I used Swartzy's ideas to process I shot I hadn't done yet from that shoot (I'm way behind....) Here's what I got. Comments are welcome as always.

591681623_rjkiy-L.jpg

Thanks for the ideas, Swartzy!

-joel
    edited July 15, 2009
    I'm not sure if you are kidding with that last shot Joel, although I suspect not. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

She looks very deformedeek7.gif
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    She looks very deformedeek7.gif

But the processing is pleasing.... thumb.gif
    edited July 16, 2009
    D'Buggs wrote:
    But the processing is pleasing.... thumb.gif
    Thanks, 'Buggs. That's really what I wanted to know -- how folks like the processing. Of course she's deformed (actually the better word is distorted). You would be too if somebody stuck a super-wide angle lens about 10" from your eye. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I guess you either love wide-angle distortion, or you hate it. I happen to like it, although I probably wouldn't have processed this particular shot on my own. She remembered it through and asked me about it specifically yesterday. So I dug it up and tried out some of Swartzy's ideas on it. She really likes the results and put it on her blog. http://cherelynn.azsupermodels.com/

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited July 16, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Thanks, 'Buggs. That's really what I wanted to know -- how folks like the processing. Of course she's deformed (actually the better word is distorted). You would be too if somebody stuck a super-wide angle lens about 10" from your eye. rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

I guess you either love wide-angle distortion, or you hate it. I happen to like it, although I probably wouldn't have processed this particular shot on my own. She remembered it through and asked me about it specifically yesterday. So I dug it up and tried out some of Swartzy's ideas on it. She really likes the results and put it on her blog. http://cherelynn.azsupermodels.com/

Cheers,
    -joel

OK, so what do I know. ne_nau.gif I couldn't get past the "distortion", but yes the processing is good.thumb.gif

On my way to Vegas.