First attempt DSS#29

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited July 10, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Okay, here is my first attempt for this challenge. I took this over the Holiday weekend, and have some title ideas in mind. For the moment I'm thinking of Chill Out by John Lee Hooker. Very little done to this, looking for initial reactions and suggestions to improve
584138752_9j7Hg-L.jpg

Thanks for looking.......Karin
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice capture Karin... thumb.gif

My only thoughts on it are when I think of chilling out, I think of cooler colors and the colors here are very warm and toasty :D

I love the light reflections you captured, very pretty..

What other song titles did ya have on the list?

Kat
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2009
    Nice capture Karin... thumb.gif

My only thoughts on it are when I think of chilling out, I think of cooler colors and the colors here are very warm and toasty :D

I love the light reflections you captured, very pretty..

What other song titles did ya have on the list?

Kat

Precious Time (Van Morrison)
    Boat on the Rver (Styx)
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
    edited July 8, 2009
    Either one of those are great titles Karin in my opinion...thumb.gif
    edited July 8, 2009
    Either one of those are great titles Karin in my opinion...thumb.gif

Okay, that's good, but come on Kat, you are always so detail oriented, what's missing, how can I make it better? Any suggestions??
    Karin

edited July 8, 2009
    Too funny.. rolleyes1.gifok, I am thinking.. Let me scrutinize it for you.. Ya shot it so well Karin, that your making it hard to come up with nit picks ya know..mwink.gif
    edited July 8, 2009
    Too funny.. rolleyes1.gifok, I am thinking.. Let me scrutinize it for you.. Ya shot it so well Karin, that your making it hard to come up with nit picks ya know..mwink.gif

Paleeeeez!!! rolleyes1.gif Seriously, I have so little time to work on this, that it is a blessing that it is a month long this time...major work problems:cry
    Karin

edited July 8, 2009
    Well, honestly ya did good.. One thing I would practice with is curves. Maybe pull down on the middle slightly to open up some detail on the boat and a tad sharpen mask....Also, perhaps you can share some different crops with us too? I like this crop, but I am digging for things here.. haha... ya never know with crops, sometimes you can find some interesting compositions hiding in there. perhaps give us a little more of the reflections to the right? Not sure how much room you have to play with from the original shot..

Thats all I can come up with girlie.. :D.. You did good here...thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2009
    Well, honestly ya did good.. One thing I would practice with it curves. Maybe pull down on the middle slightly to open up some detail on the boat and a tad sharpen mask....Also, perhaps you can share some different crops with us too? I like this crop, but I am digging for things here.. haha... ya never know with crops, sometimes you can find some interesting compositions hiding in there. perhaps give us a little more of the reflections to the right? Not sure how much room you have to play with from the original shot..

Thats all I can come up with girlie.. :D.. You did good here...thumb.gif

Well aside from some slight levels adjustments, this is SOOC, so there has been no cropping at this point. Thanks for your insight, I will see what else I can do with it!
    Karin

edited July 9, 2009
    Well that just goes to show your SOOC skills are super.. Seriously it is very nice, all it is going to take a some mild tweaking here and there with sharpen and perhaps some curves and contrast.. not much though...

I hope the work problems are not too bad.. As for me, I am using this month to catch up post process, a lot of shoots gone by.. I am way behind..

I like it Karin, and I will keep my eye out in case you post more of this one or any others..thumb.gifrofl

Kat
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    This is a gorgeous image Karin thumb.gif
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited July 9, 2009
    Well that just goes to show your SOOC skills are super.. Seriously it is very nice, all it is going to take a some mild tweaking here and there with sharpen and perhaps some curves and contrast.. not much though...

I hope the work problems are not too bad.. As for me, I am using this month to catch up post process, a lot of shoots gone by.. I am way behind..

I like it Karin, and I will keep my eye out in case you post more of this one or any others..thumb.gifrofl

Kat

Thanks Kat!
    Karin

edited July 9, 2009
    This is a gorgeous image Karin thumb.gif

:D Wow! Thanks Allen...I'm just glad I won't be entering it next to yours!!!!
    Karin

edited July 9, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Thanks Kat!

Your most welcome.. best of luck to ya..thumb.gif
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    :D Wow! Thanks Allen...I'm just glad I won't be entering it next to yours!!!!

Hey I just showed it to my wife and she loved it too :D I think it could be a strong entry!
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

edited July 9, 2009
    Hey I just showed it to my wife and she loved it too :D I think it could be a strong entry!

Ya know, there's something to be said about wives...they do know bestmwink.gif
    JK!!!!!
    Thanks for the encouragement:D
    Karin

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    thumb.gif Nice! I love the color on the water.

The only thing I could suggest is to see if you can get a star effect on those bright spots in the water.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

The only thing I could suggest is to see if you can get a star effect on those bright spots in the water.

Very nice shot - I agree with finding a better title thumb.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    titles?

If I Had a Boat by Lyle Lovett
    Love Me Like a River Does by Melody Gardot
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Very strong image Karin. Nice work. clap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Row Row Row Your Boat rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot Karin thumb.gif
    edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Row Row Row Your Boat rolleyes1.gif

Nice shot Karin thumb.gif

:lol4
    Too funny Dan! Thanks
    Karin

edited July 9, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Thanks for the link Linda, I am going to give that a trythumb.gif
    Karin

edited July 9, 2009
    Thanks Tatiana, Greg and Chris for your thoughts and ideas...you made my dayiloveyou.gif
    Karin

edited July 9, 2009
    Well, I took everyones suggestions and played around with this some.
    I sharpened, cropped a little and added some starbursts to the reflections on the water. Is it looking a little better, or did I do too much???

Original post
    584138752_9j7Hg-L.jpg

Reworked version
    586830455_cFEhZ-L.jpg

Thanks for looking!
    Karin

edited July 10, 2009
    Hey Miss Karin..

Looking good..thumb.giflust

It opened up the light on the boat nicely, just enough to let it remain pseudo- silhouette, and the water texture is awesome and nicely sharpened but not overdone.. I think you did well on the star bursts, I thought it may look overdone, but you held back perfectly, and it looks natural... and I am loving the nice balance of orange now, you pulled some of the saturation and I think you found the sweet spot.. Nice.thumb.gifwink

Kat
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Linda had a very good idea thumb.gif

It looks nicer with the stars - nice work clap.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Found a song title for you too: "Up a Lazy River" by Hoagy Carmichael
    edited July 10, 2009
    Thanks Kat,Tatiana and Linda.....
    that title is very fitting, I just might go with it..thanks for finding it Linda!
    Karin

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

Found a song title for you too: "Up a Lazy River" by Hoagy Carmichael

I was thinking the same. In fact I started singing it in my head last night wings.gif