Options

Lightroom newbie..droplet help please :)

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited July 11, 2009 in Finishing School
Working on only my second shoot since I got lightroom and am having trouble with post processing export. I did all my minor adjustments in lightroom. Made a portraiture/unsharpmask action in PS3, created the droplet, put in the the file. Now when I export my file from NEF to JPG it goes to photoshop and appears to do the action but the files all remain looking the same, as if it never was added. Any ideas of why this might be happening? I am really hoping lightroom works out for me...it seems like it will save me a lot of time once I get the hang of it....but if I can't do my favorite portraiture and unsharp mask settings I will be a little upset :cry Any advice would be appreciated.
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    Working on only my second shoot since I got lightroom and am having trouble with post processing export. I did all my minor adjustments in lightroom. Made a portraiture/unsharpmask action in PS3, created the droplet, put in the the file. Now when I export my file from NEF to JPG it goes to photoshop and appears to do the action but the files all remain looking the same, as if it never was added. Any ideas of why this might be happening? I am really hoping lightroom works out for me...it seems like it will save me a lot of time once I get the hang of it....but if I can't do my favorite portraiture and unsharp mask settings I will be a little upset :cry Any advice would be appreciated.

Just a guess, but maybe your action in PS is not saving the JPG after it does its work, so you only see the JPG that LR exported. Another possibility is that you are looking at the NEF in LR rather than the final JPG. I´m quite sure you can accomplish what you want here, but I suspect you don´t have the workflow quite right yet.
  • Options
    edited July 9, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Just a guess, but maybe your action in PS is not saving the JPG after it does its work, so you only see the JPG that LR exported. Another possibility is that you are looking at the NEF in LR rather than the final JPG. I´m quite sure you can accomplish what you want here, but I suspect you don´t have the workflow quite right yet.

Thanks Richard...it does seem that maybe it isn't being saved after the action. Do you know how to fix that?
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,937 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    Thanks Richard...it does seem that maybe it isn't being saved after the action. Do you know how to fix that?

I´m not sure how you edit actions in CS3, but I believe it´s possible. I´m on the road at the moment and I don´t have access to PS. If nobody else jumps in with an answer, you can always create a new action that includes the old one as the first step, then saves the file. Remember to check the override filenames box in the save. Then create a new droplet that invokes the new action.

HTH.
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    I´m not sure how you edit actions in CS3, but I believe it´s possible. I´m on the road at the moment and I don´t have access to PS. If nobody else jumps in with an answer, you can always create a new action that includes the old one as the first step, then saves the file. Remember to check the override filenames box in the save. Then create a new droplet that invokes the new action.

HTH.
    If you wan the export action in LR to save files as jpegs, then your action has to include the saves as dialog. Recreate the action and include in it the steps as if you are going to save the file as a jpeg. Go ahead and actually save the file then stop recording the action. Create the droplet. When you want to run it as an export action, you can control in the LR dialog box the quality and size of the file and location for where the file is to be saved; it will override that part of the action that you created in Photoshop But you need the save as steps in the action for it to work in LR; don't ask me why. This link might help:
    http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lrqdroplets.php
  • Options
    edited July 11, 2009
    CynthiaM wrote:
    If you wan the export action in LR to save files as jpegs, then your action has to include the saves as dialog. Recreate the action and include in it the steps as if you are going to save the file as a jpeg. Go ahead and actually save the file then stop recording the action. Create the droplet. When you want to run it as an export action, you can control in the LR dialog box the quality and size of the file and location for where the file is to be saved; it will override that part of the action that you created in Photoshop But you need the save as steps in the action for it to work in LR; don't ask me why. This link might help:
    http://www.lightroomqueen.com/lrqdroplets.php

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Now it is making more sense!
  • Options
    CynthiaMCynthiaM Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it. Now it is making more sense!

Did it work?