#29 Possibilities...

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited July 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I think I'm having a harder time choosing the song titles than the actual photos here... :D

Anyway here are some of my favorites from last weekend, I'm interested in feedback, and let me know if the titles (or photos!) are lame and I can change them (I still have three more weekends of photos to take!).

#1: "You're Gonna Make Me Lonesome When You Go" - Bob Dylan

583226173_iw4QE-L.jpg

#2: "Fire on the Mountain" - Grateful Dead

583030594_YSFdA-L.jpg

#3: "Moon, Turn the Tides...Gently Gently Away" (Jimi Hendrix), or "Blue Moon Nights" (John Fogerty), or... I literally have eighty million song titles I can think of for this one.

583140462_QpfW4-L.jpg

#4: "Waiting Under the Waves" - Kris Delmhorst

585999750_2sau4-L.jpg

#5: "Raining at Sunset" - Chris Thile (this song is a pure instrumental - are those eligible?)

583130555_jJHZ4-L.jpg

Comments

• KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Hi Ron wave.gif

Beautiful shots as usual coming from you..rolleyes1.gif

The one with the fawn had the most emotional impact on me and really made me stop and think and then return to the photo to contemplate it, very unique way to capture that title by the way.

The other one I like is the fire on the mountain, but ya need a little more red and orange splashing onto the top.. the image is too cool to go with the word fire..

and #3 is phenomenal composition, super!!!!clap.gif however, that moon looks more like a sun, so if ya could mask a shot of the classic looking round moon into it then it would hit the song title head on...

They are all gorgeous, but those are my favs.

Kat

P.S> How did you manage a snow shot at this time of year? Where do you live? Alaska?
  • nightpixelsnightpixels Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    They are all awesome shots, Ron. I really, really love #3, but I do agree with Kat on the moon thing. I guess you can shot the moon separately and do a composite image?
    Allen Parseghian

Los Angeles dance photographer

• ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Boy, you really make it hard to choose! 3,2,1...in that orderthumb.gif
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    OK...I gotta ask...where on earth did you find that much snow in the July???? eek7.gif No snow in Alaska...we been having a heat wave of 80 plus all week!

I like 4 the best!thumb.gif
  • KevXmanKevXman Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Definitely #3!
    Enjoy today, tomorrow is not guaranteed.

My Site, My Book
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    They're all great. But for me there are two that stick out: #3 and #4. Both are mysterious and moody. You won't go wrong with either one of those.

BTW -- that Chris Thile piece is an instrumental. A song requires lyrics. ne_nau.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Hi Ron wave.gif

Beautiful shots as usual coming from you..rolleyes1.gif

The one with the fawn had the most emotional impact on me and really made me stop and think and then return to the photo to contemplate it, very unique way to capture that title by the way.

The other one I like is the fire on the mountain, but ya need a little more red and orange splashing onto the top.. the image is too cool to go with the word fire..

and #3 is phenomenal composition, super!!!!clap.gif however, that moon looks more like a sun, so if ya could mask a shot of the classic looking round moon into it then it would hit the song title head on...

They are all gorgeous, but those are my favs.

Kat

P.S> How did you manage a snow shot at this time of year? Where do you live? Alaska?

I agree that the alpenglow is too subtle for that title :D

Thanks for the feedback, I kind of like the moon as is as it's more in line with its reflection, and it's more of a secondary subject, the sea stacks and moonlight are the main subjects. I might see if I can find another moon image and paste it in there to see if the idea works and if so go and shoot a sharp properly exposed shot of the moon itself.

Also, the snow shot is of Mt. Rainier, the elevation at the spot I took the shot is about 5,400 feet, the snow lasts well into July at the elevation, it makes the hiking season up there really short, but in about a month the wildflower displays are some of the best anywhere.
    edited July 9, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    They're all great. But for me there are two that stick out: #3 and #4. Both are mysterious and moody. You won't go wrong with either one of those.

BTW -- that Chris Thile piece is an instrumental. A song requires lyrics. ne_nau.gif

Yeah, I know, I was hoping no one else did though lol3.gif

Thanks for the feedback!
    edited July 9, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, looks like #3 has the edge now, but I kind of like #4 too. I might be at the beach for more shots this weekend too...
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Yeah, I know, I was hoping no one else did though lol3.gif

Don't worry, divamum would also have given you a friendly reminder. lol3.gif

coscorrosa wrote:
    I might be at the beach for more shots this weekend too...
    :lurk
  • KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    I agree that the alpenglow is too subtle for that title :D

Also, the snow shot is of Mt. Rainier, the elevation at the spot I took the shot is about 5,400 feet, the snow lasts well into July at the elevation, it makes the hiking season up there really short, but in about a month the wildflower displays are some of the best anywhere.

Yep, it is that way in some places in Colorado too, snow well into July and then it warms up for a short time before it snows again.. I love wildflowers and aspens both. I bet the wildflowers make for awesome HDR shots too.. Your making me miss the Rockies..:cry...Look forward to seeing what you end up choosing for the theme..

Kat
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Wonderful shots!!!

My favs are 3,2,1 in this order too iloveyou.gif

I agree that the moon has to be less "punchy" so to say, so it doesn't distract
    from the beauty of the rest...

Hmm,.. I didn't think either that a song has to have lyrics... I was thinking more in a general
    term of a piece of music...

We'll have to ask on this - it seems to be a similar dilemma as per the previous contest,
    with the circles and spheres headscratch.gif

* Anyway if a song is related to a soapbox ne_nau.gif , watch out! it seems that somebody here has
    and excess of them and is graciously giving them away... eek7.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Hmm,.. I didn't think either that a song has to have lyrics... I was thinking more in a general
    term of a piece of music...

We'll have to ask on this - it seems to be a similar dilemma as per the previous contest,
    with the circles and spheres headscratch.gif

* Anyway if a song is related to a soapbox ne_nau.gif , watch out! it seems that somebody here has
    and excess of them and is graciously giving them away... eek7.gif

Tatiana, you must have missed the discussion in KevXman's thread, here (starting around post #8) - sorry - those soapboxes weren't specifically directed at you (in fact, the post to which you refer went up by mistake - I was typing, got interrupted and must have hit "send" instead of "cancel" because I wanted to explain myself, didn't realise my mistake until many hours later and never got around to changing it)

But yes, a SONG has WORDS and is performed by a human being, not an instrument or group of instruments (there's a group of instrumental pieces called "Songs without words" which were popular with 19th century pianists such as Mendelssohn and Schumann, but that's kind of a separate case). So, yes, a song MUST have lyrics. (you're all going to be sick of me at the end of this challenge. Sorry! :hide)

Ron, put me down for #4 - 3 is also beautiful (they all are), but 4 just makes me want to know MORE. It leads me to a story, but doesn't tell me the whole thing. Absolutely LOVE it.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Theme wise, I like #1, but they are all great Ron.

Now if you want a real challenge, pick a song that you love, and then shoot a shot to matchmwink.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Tatiana, you must have missed the discussion in KevXman's thread, here (starting around post #8) - sorry - those soapboxes weren't specifically directed at you (in fact, the post to which you refer went up by mistake - I was typing, got interrupted and must have hit "send" instead of "cancel" because I wanted to explain myself, didn't realise my mistake until many hours later and never got around to changing it)

But yes, a SONG has WORDS and is performed by a human being, not an instrument or group of instruments (there's a group of instrumental pieces called "Songs without words" which were popular with 19th century pianists such as Mendelssohn and Schumann, but that's kind of a separate case). So, yes, a song MUST have lyrics. (you're all going to be sick of me at the end of this challenge. Sorry! :hide)

Ron, put me down for #4 - 3 is also beautiful (they all are), but 4 just makes me want to know MORE. It leads me to a story, but doesn't tell me the whole thing. Absolutely LOVE it.

Got it thumb.gif

No problem :soapbox

rolleyes1.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
    edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Theme wise, I like #1, but they are all great Ron.

Now if you want a real challenge, pick a song that you love, and then shoot a shot to matchmwink.gif

Do I look like someone who wants a real challenge? lol3.gif I do like (and own) all of the songs mentioned, usually when I'm out shooting I often think of lyrics (that was even a mini-challenge theme I posted), but the additional restriction of having the photo match the title of the song rather than the lyrics within it is difficult.

Thanks again to everyone for providing feedback. I'll make sure to choose a song instead of a musical arrangement :D