edited July 9, 2009 in Landscapes
Which of these do you prefer?

Thanks in advance.

586020908_wDDJp-L-1.jpg

586099678_s7DxL-L.jpg

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    The first one, Dan, hands down. On the second one, there is too much magenta on the mountains for the time of day this was shot. The 1st is a much more natural looking image. I'm not crazy about the 50/50 split, however. I think you could crop about 1/2 of the water out. Beautiful scene, BTW. thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I definitely prefer the first one. The second is just unnatural looking.
    I'd also prefer if you could do a bit of burning on that patch of snow at the bottom of the mountain as it's pretty distracting.
    This is a nice looking scene though! :D
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I was also going to add what Mahesh said about the 50/50 split but I didn't want to be too harsh. So +1 for what Mahesh said.
  • crowcrow Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    definitely not the second one, the colors are way off, too much purples on the mtn; and Im not sure if its my screen but the greens are off on the first one.

586020908_wDDJp-L-1.jpg

586099678_s7DxL-L.jpg[/quote]
    jfghckgvlhyvluijhb;ijol m,lll
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    As you know I'm a big snow guy, so while the first one I like better, the snow is a bit bright for my taste (just a tad). And I agree, the green seems a bit off.

Also, the shadows on both sides of the lake sort of bother me, too. It draws my eyes in two directions. Maybe cropping the left side would help?

Way to have the guts to be critiqued. I will have to try that.
    More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
    Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
    Jason Hummel photography on:
    FACEBOOK
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    first one most definitely and I agree about the 50/50 split.......

One last thing....for a really good critique you should ahve posted in the WHIPPING POST............:D:D:D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• CherryChickCherryChick Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    To be honest, in both cases the mountain caps look unnatural. However, if choosing between the two, I'd prefer the first one. ne_nau.gif
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I'm with the rest, Dan. I like the first one and agree you should take a look at cropping out some of the water.
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    Neither one works for me...however the first one is better than the second. The colors just dont look right in either one.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    The first one, Dan. But I have to agree with the others who commented on the 50/50 problem. The shore line divides the image into what appears to be two shots. There's a bit too much water for my tastes. That said, everything above the water line is quite cool. thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Thanks everyone.

Art the WP is for your best work. This is definitely NOT my best, and the candidness I got on this thread is exactly what I needed. :D

Dan
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Here is a version based upon your critique. Bottom line: this photo is not worth saving or working on in my opinion. I tried to turn a poor photo into something good, and obviously failed. Good lesson. Thanks.

586363784_QyXid-L.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Here is a version based upon your critique. Bottom line: this photo is not worth saving or working on in my opinion. I tried to turn a poor photo into something good, and obviously failed. Good lesson. Thanks.

This last one is much better, IMO! I think that we all understand getting a shot that's not quite right and we do what we can to try to fix it in post. However, usually the amount of work necessary to do this outweighs the benefits. Over time I've come to realize that life is too short, and we're all out shooting enough. If it doesn't move you when you're going through your files, just skip it. Chances are you'll get another chance (or two, or three...) to shoot it again. thumb.gif
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    First onedeal.gif

agree with others, horizon is in middle and too much contrast on top.
    I also notice it brighter in the center of the mountain than on the sides, kinda odd?

Wow, you were adding that as I was typing :)

Now it looks dull.
  • MarcyMarcy Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    the second crop is better - in a perfect world the water would have been glass smooth then you would have had the shot with the reflection - otherwise it is just so-so - but the mountain detail is good