anyone have the Sigma 28-70 2.8

lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited July 11, 2009 in Cameras
if so how is it? I found a good deal on a used one and was thinking about buying it. thanks!

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    I have it. It is okay overall. Really hits the sharpness at F4 and will focus fast in low light situations. I prefer the Tamron 28-75mm but if you can get a good deal on the price, take it.

Edited to add correct Tamron lens
    Steve

Website
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    if so how is it? I found a good deal on a used one and was thinking about buying it. thanks!

Very good reviews found here: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/shootout

And other lenses, such as the Sigma 24-70 reviewed as well: http://www.pbase.com/lightrules/lenstests
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Hmmm...What about the sigma 18-50mm f2.8? Didn't find a great deal on that one but wondering if I should spend more or just grab the 28-70 for the heck of it?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 9, 2009
    I have the Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC (the model before the current "Macro" version) and I like it a lot. It misses focus every once in a while but not so often to be more than a nuisance. I use it as my backup lens for event work but I often use it for family/personal stuff.

I do think that the Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di-II LD SP Aspherical (IF) is somewhat better and still very reasonable in price.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Rob PauzaRob Pauza Registered Users Posts: 119 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    I have the Sigma 24-70 2.8 EX DG. It stays on my camera at least 90% of the time. I absolutely love it. I have 5 Sigma lenses and have become a big fan of them. The build quality of the Sigma EX lenses are great. They are extremely robust and aren't plastic-feeling like most other lenses. Focus is fast and sharp at all ranges, even in low light. F2.8 through the zoom range is a nice plus.

It does use 82mm filters, which are more expensive. The added size of the front of the lens, plus the petal hood will block the on-camera flash toward the 24mm side, but hopefully you won't be using simply a built-in flash. All in all, I LOVE this lens. For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.

-Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
    -Rob Pauza
    Rob Pauza Photography
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    I had the 28-70 but found it was not wide enuff for me...so I sold it and then purchased the 24-70 f2.8 DG EX.....which was a bit better but still not wide enuff....both focused quite fast even in low light...sharp as tack ...both were.....but still left me wanting more on the wide end.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website