Options

Just applied for my credentials for Texas Tech Football

ErbemanErbeman Registered Users Posts: 926 Major grins
edited January 10, 2010 in Sports
I cannot wait for the season to begin! Hopefully we have a good a season as we did last year. It's hard to imagine since we lost our QB and star WR.

Anyone else here get credentials to shoot D1 football?
Come see my Photos at:
http://www.RussErbePhotography.com :thumb
http://www.sportsshooter.com/erbeman

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro

Comments

• Options
    cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    I cannot wait for the season to begin! Hopefully we have a good a season as we did last year. It's hard to imagine since we lost our QB and star WR.

Waiting for confirmation ... but, yea, I'm hoping to be shooting somewhere locally !!!
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • Options
    TmanTman Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited July 10, 2009
    Hookem, pay back?:D
  • Options
    edited July 10, 2009
    Tman wrote:
    Hookem, pay back?:D

Well probably, but it won't mean as much since we lost our best 2 offensive players.
    Come see my Photos at:

D700, D300, Nikkor 35-70 F/2.8, Nikkor 50mm F/1.8, Nikkor 70-200 AF-S VR F/2.8, Nikkor AF-S 1.7 teleconverter II,(2) Profoto D1 500 Air,SB-900, SB-600, (2)MB-D10, MacBook Pro
  • Options
    tjl1388tjl1388 Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Well probably, but it won't mean as much since we lost our best 2 offensive players.

Any win over your rival is the best win of the season.

Not a TX or Tx Tech fan but for me as a Cane it applies to F$U

Good luck on your credentials, I wish I was close enough to apply at UM.
  • Options
    edited July 13, 2009
    Credentials Approved!!
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    rmwphotormwphoto Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Cool!!!thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    www.rmwphoto.ca
    Canon XSI
    18-55 AF IS
    55-250 AF IS
    Canon 430 EXII Flash
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I'm posting this here because not everyone reads sportsshooter. I won't bother to repeat all the arguments made in the thread below but I think it is important to those who want to be working (i.e. getting paid) sports photographers. In a nutshell, the advice is: don't trade a marketable product simply for access.

I only make a very small amount now from sports shooting - I can't afford the time it takes. But, giving away your work for free (and we're not talking about charity here - as TT athletic department is hardly a charity) is bad for the industry. Anything I shoot for outside family/friend use is paid work.

It's also another example of why so many seasoned shooters have stopped giving advice and critique.

http://www.sportsshooter.com/message_display.html?tid=33541

Russ - you seem like a nice guy, and the quality of your work is very good. Hopefully you and others will choose to respect the professionals trying to earn a paycheck and not give away your products/services to for-profit agencies simply for a credential. You joined sportsshooter and were justifiably proud to get in. This practice goes against the entire spirit of Sportsshooter. In the end, you have to decide for yourself what to do.
  • Options
    cecilccecilc Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Erbeman wrote:
    Credentials Approved!!

Congrats on that ....

But based on the thread you started over at SS, more questions come to mind for you ....

There's some really good advice over on that thread, Russ .... but it's good that you started that thread because it's part of the "learning" process ....
    Cecil
    Atlanta, Georgia
    Photos at SportsShooter
  • Options
    r9jacksonr9jackson Registered Users Posts: 129 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2010
    Anyone willing to sponsor me for Sportsshooter?
    Erbeman wrote:

I see that you are a member of Sportsshooter.com (and are several others on this post). I am seeking out someone to sponsor me. You can check out some of my tennis shots here on SmugMug at
    http://www.randyjacksonimages.com/Surprise-Photographer/Portfolio/Tennis-1/10122893_xofBW#695487861_2Zgy7

I posted in the Sports forum earlier before I searched and found this thread (I apologize in advance). I'm really smarter than that indicates.

I would be grateful for a sponsor and swear I won't do anything to embarass you and will make you proud for any posts or uploads I would make at Sportsshooter.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    r9jackson wrote:
    I see that you are a member of Sportsshooter.com (and are several others on this post). I am seeking out someone to sponsor me. You can check out some of my tennis shots here on SmugMug at
    http://www.randyjacksonimages.com/Surprise-Photographer/Portfolio/Tennis-1/10122893_xofBW#695487861_2Zgy7

I posted in the Sports forum earlier before I searched and found this thread (I apologize in advance). I'm really smarter than that indicates.

I would be grateful for a sponsor and swear I won't do anything to embarass you and will make you proud for any posts or uploads I would make at Sportsshooter.

Randy,

Thanks for your interest in SS. After viewing your pics, I gotta tell you that you are still a long way from being qualified to even apply to SS. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the quality of those tennis pics aren't too good and you really don't have any other sports albums. So, you really aren't a "SPORTS SHOOTER." The members over there are the cream of the crop. You don't get in just because it would be cool to say your in and because you shot one sporting event. I would venture to say half of the members there are photographers for their jobs, not just a hobby. They pride themselves on only allowing really good sports photogs in. They turn down more people then they let in.

It's almost like a fraternity if you will. Don't let this get you down though. Keep at it. Buy some books, keep shooting and you'll get better.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Erbeman wrote:
    Randy,

Thanks for your interest in SS. After viewing your pics, I gotta tell you that you are still a long way from being qualified to even apply to SS. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the quality of those tennis pics aren't too good and you really don't have any other sports albums. So, you really aren't a "SPORTS SHOOTER." The members over there are the cream of the crop. You don't get in just because it would be cool to say your in and because you shot one sporting event. I would venture to say half of the members there are photographers for their jobs, not just a hobby. They pride themselves on only allowing really good sports photogs in. They turn down more people then they let in.

It's almost like a fraternity if you will. Don't let this get you down though. Keep at it. Buy some books, keep shooting and you'll get better.
    Erbeman,
    Thanks for your candor. I do have a lot more sports shots, but this was just a preliminary inquiry. I will withdraw my request for a sponsor at this time. I believe that I can continue to improve my craft and give back to the photo community better here on dgrin.
  • Options
    edited January 7, 2010
    Randy,

Don't get too down. As a sportsshooter member I would say it's a good place to make some contacts to get advice from on the PROFESSIONAL side of sports shooting. Whether it's a second job, as a freelancer, event photog or full-time PJ. But for just improving your ability to make great sports photos there's not much there to learn.

Of course, a big part of the reason behind that is - you have to already BE a proficient shooter to get in.

If you're interested in sports photography my suggestion is to start threads here and post 8 or less photos from the same sport in the thread (number each one and imbed the photos - don't link to a gallery) and ask for critique. DGrin is a great place to learn and get feedback. Fred Miranda has a great sports forum as well - but it can be VERY difficult to get good constructive feedback there. I don't post there much anymore because it represents a lot of what I DISLIKE about sportsshoter - a LOT of elitism. Great place for accomplished shooters to get better but a difficult place for a novice like yourself to get a lot of help.

But, the key to getting better is seeking out feedback from other sports photographers. Sports shooting is more difficult than it looks and there are unique challenges to each sport. You don't get better by having family / friends tell you everything you take looks great. You get better by finding photogs that shoot what you shoot but shoot it much better and are willing to take the time to suggest how you could improve. But that can take a thick skin. Best of luck to you and any other people looking to be better sports photographers!
  • Options
    ckysportsckysports Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited January 7, 2010
    I want to be a Sports Shooter as well. How do I get in? www.ckysports.net - By the way, I also shoot D1 Football and Basketball at Kentucky.
  • Options
    nw scoutnw scout Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2010
    What is all this talk about sport shooter?
    I don't even know what it is, but everyone sure makes it sound important ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    Good Advice
    johng wrote:
    Randy,

Don't get too down. As a sportsshooter member I would say it's a good place to make some contacts to get advice from on the PROFESSIONAL side of sports shooting. Whether it's a second job, as a freelancer, event photog or full-time PJ. But for just improving your ability to make great sports photos there's not much there to learn.

Of course, a big part of the reason behind that is - you have to already BE a proficient shooter to get in.

If you're interested in sports photography my suggestion is to start threads here and post 8 or less photos from the same sport in the thread (number each one and imbed the photos - don't link to a gallery) and ask for critique. DGrin is a great place to learn and get feedback. Fred Miranda has a great sports forum as well - but it can be VERY difficult to get good constructive feedback there. I don't post there much anymore because it represents a lot of what I DISLIKE about sportsshoter - a LOT of elitism. Great place for accomplished shooters to get better but a difficult place for a novice like yourself to get a lot of help.

But, the key to getting better is seeking out feedback from other sports photographers. Sports shooting is more difficult than it looks and there are unique challenges to each sport. You don't get better by having family / friends tell you everything you take looks great. You get better by finding photogs that shoot what you shoot but shoot it much better and are willing to take the time to suggest how you could improve. But that can take a thick skin. Best of luck to you and any other people looking to be better sports photographers!
    Thanks John. I think I will be following your advice. I already have opportunities for access in both tennis, baseball and drag racing here in Arizona. I have been fairly successful with selling sports prints so far and will spend some time this year building up my portfolio. I think I will stay with dgrin and the fine positive folks here. As you can see from my posts here I can also give back to the community in lots of ways.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2010
    nw scout wrote:
    What is all this talk about sport shooter?
    I don't even know what it is, but everyone sure makes it sound important ne_nau.gif

See this thread:
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1299820#post1299820
  • Options
    leftcoast650leftcoast650 Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    I don't want to sound like an official, but don't they say on the site not to go around asking the SS members for sponsorships in their guidelines?

I'm not a member of SS, but i was thinking of applying without a sponsor soon. All i can say to anybody is to spend your time at the sporting events and get to know the in's and out's of it to really help bring something interesting out of it.

i know that this was back in July, but congrats on your Texas Tech credentials! I just applied for mine with the 2010 San Francisco Supercross:twitch
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    I don't want to sound like an official, but don't they say on the site not to go around asking the SS members for sponsorships in their guidelines?

I'm not a member of SS, but i was thinking of applying without a sponsor soon. All i can say to anybody is to spend your time at the sporting events and get to know the in's and out's of it to really help bring something interesting out of it.

i know that this was back in July, but congrats on your Texas Tech credentials! I just applied for mine with the 2010 San Francisco Supercross:twitch

Sweet! Did you get approved for SX? I'n heading to Cali in a few weeks to shoot the San Diego SX. I can't wait to get back on SX floor. I'm excited to do some sight seeing and pic taking around San Diego. We just made our hotel reservations tonight. I've got to start doing some research on what all to go see.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Erbeman wrote:
    Sweet! Did you get approved for SX? I'n heading to Cali in a few weeks to shoot the San Diego SX. I can't wait to get back on SX floor. I'm excited to do some sight seeing and pic taking around San Diego. We just made our hotel reservations tonight. I've got to start doing some research on what all to go see.

Oh man hearing that makes me excited! I hope I do this was my first time applying for credentials and since I'm not connected to any media source my mind tends to think negative about it ne_nau.gif

I know some places that I can recommend to shoot while there as well thumb.gifmaybe i should apply for another SX venue i just don't think going one time is enough haha
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    Oh man hearing that makes me excited! I hope I do this was my first time applying for credentials and since I'm not connected to any media source my mind tends to think negative about it ne_nau.gif

I know some places that I can recommend to shoot while there as well thumb.gifmaybe i should apply for another SX venue i just don't think going one time is enough haha

Oh man, yea I'm guessing the odds of you getting approved isn't too good without being affiliated with a media outlet. Keep your fingers crossed though. My buddy J-Bo on this board got in at New Orleans this last year just by hanging around and begging. He showed up at the press conference the day before the race and just acted like he was supposed to be there, with no credentials mind you, next thing I know he's down on the floor with me shooting the Suzuki team practice after the conference. They told him he was a no-go on race day though. He didn't give up though. He kept hounding the right people, next thing I know I saw his smiling butt walking up to me on the floor. So, it does happen.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    haha I tried that with warped tour last year in SF and that was a no go for me, but I'm going to talk to some of the local newspapers as maybe a sort of internship deal or one of my old instructors was working part time as the photographer for my local newspaper so maybe he can help me out. I don't know I was thinking if I say its for non-profit school art show because i would like to enter in it this spring? I don't know i have thought of many different ways to approach this so we will see.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited January 10, 2010
    Erbeman wrote:
    You should come up...it's only another hour or so flight deal.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    ian408 wrote:

You should! Especially if its another wet SF SX then the photos should be awesome!
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    ian408 wrote:

If I had more time, I would freakin love to. Cali is so freakin pretty and I know you could show me alot of cool places. We're flying in Thursday night, doing some sight seeing Friday morning, shooting the SX press conference in the afternoon, then back to sight seeing San Diego. Saturday morning, we'll do some more sight seeing then probably head to the track at about 3:30 or 4, then coming back to Texas Sunday midday. However, in October I'm flying to Cali again to shoot my buddy's wedding. It's in a town like an hour and a half drive from San Fran. The wife and I will stay there for a few days, then we're going to head to San Fran for a few days as well and will be doing nothing but sightseeing. So, we should be able to get together then.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    You should! Especially if its another wet SF SX then the photos should be awesome!

Right that was insane!! I don't know if I'd trust my equipment in pouring down rain. I don't have rain gear. I probably should get some, but here in West Texas we don't get much rain. So, I don't know if I would ever need it.
    Come see my Photos at:

• Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    I have faith that my gear could take some water..at least the lens, but i use some safeway plastic bags if i ever shoot in the rain mwink.gif
  • Options
    j-boj-bo Registered Users Posts: 313 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2010
    Erbeman wrote:
    Oh man, yea I'm guessing the odds of you getting approved isn't too good without being affiliated with a media outlet. Keep your fingers crossed though. My buddy J-Bo on this board got in at New Orleans this last year just by hanging around and begging. He showed up at the press conference the day before the race and just acted like he was supposed to be there, with no credentials mind you, next thing I know he's down on the floor with me shooting the Suzuki team practice after the conference. They told him he was a no-go on race day though. He didn't give up though. He kept hounding the right people, next thing I know I saw his smiling butt walking up to me on the floor. So, it does happen.

Well it sorta happened like that. I was contacted by a local FELD representative that talked like he had me all hooked up weeks before the race. He saw my work on my local mx board and my smug site and wanted to "give me a shot" from the floor.

Turned out he talked over his head. He did get me into the press day and all was a go for the actual SX until they found out I was a freelancer. He told me sorry, and I told him, sorry not.... I want a vest that you promised me. He did the begging and since N.O. wasn't going to be covered much, they allowed me access. I had the time of my life and thought I held my own with the star photogs like Cudby and Kardy.

It was the 1st time i met Russ and we had a blast both days. I submitted a few photos and got replies on "great shots", but none were used.

Sold all of my gear a month or so later and have the fever to get back into it. So, I'll be getting in debt after tax season to give it another shot at other sporting events. MX/SX is a fraternity and a limited field.

See ya in Houston Russ, although I'm sure I'll just be in the stands, probably not shooting at all.
  • Options
    edited January 10, 2010
    j-bo wrote:
    Well it sorta happened like that. I was contacted by a local FELD representative that talked like he had me all hooked up weeks before the race. He saw my work on my local mx board and my smug site and wanted to "give me a shot" from the floor.

Turned out he talked over his head. He did get me into the press day and all was a go for the actual SX until they found out I was a freelancer. He told me sorry, and I told him, sorry not.... I want a vest that you promised me. He did the begging and since N.O. wasn't going to be covered much, they allowed me access. I had the time of my life and thought I held my own with the star photogs like Cudby and Kardy.

It was the 1st time i met Russ and we had a blast both days. I submitted a few photos and got replies on "great shots", but none were used.

Sold all of my gear a month or so later and have the fever to get back into it. So, I'll be getting in debt after tax season to give it another shot at other sporting events. MX/SX is a fraternity and a limited field.

See ya in Houston Russ, although I'm sure I'll just be in the stands, probably not shooting at all.

Ahhh, sorry I misspoke. I don't know if I'm going to make Houston this year or not. We have a series here in West Texas that travels to 4 different tracks and I'm the series photog. One of the rounds is the same weekend as Houston.
    Come see my Photos at: