Abstract Grass

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited July 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
It took a few attempts to catch the sway of the tall grass tips the way I wanted. Any suggestions?

586454182_wCxr2-XL.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    It took a few attempts to catch the sway of the tall grass tips the way I wanted. Any suggestions?

Wow Eia, that's freakishly cool clap.gif
    The top of the image has a feathery look,
    the middle and lower right has a motion blur look,
    and the lower left has the least amount of motion,
    ... and all in the one shot.

I like it the way it is.

thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Skippy wrote:
    [/left]

Wow Eia, that's freakishly cool clap.gif
    The top of the image has a feathery look,
    the middle and lower right has a motion blur look,
    and the lower left has the least amount of motion,
    ... and all in the one shot.

I like it the way it is.

thumb.gif ..... Skippy :D

Thanks Skippy. The tops of the grass are very feathery. When the wind blew while I walked by or in the grass, the feathery tops tickled my legs and hands; so they got my attention. :D
  • TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Awesome shot. I love to watch the grasses sway in the wind and have wondered what it would take to capture it.

Only idea I would have to make it look more abstract would be a longer exposure.

I've been wanting to capture the wheat in our area and played around one night and came up with some abstract looking shots. To get the effect, I stopped clear down to f/22 and stacked a couple ND filters and had exposure times of just under a full second and shot from my tripod. I was hoping to capture the color and motion of the wheat (which are both what I find attractive in it) and at the same time not make it immediately obvious what the photo subject was. This is one of the resulting images I got from that evening:

575070509_2Xy6L-XL.jpg

Sorry for the hijack, but it was something I've thought about lately and it was fresh on my mind.

the multiple colors in your grass make me want to hunt out a similar shot.

Again, cool shot. clap.gif
    edited July 10, 2009
    Tallboy wrote:
    Awesome shot. I love to watch the grasses sway in the wind and have wondered what it would take to capture it.

Only idea I would have to make it look more abstract would be a longer exposure.

I've been wanting to capture the wheat in our area and played around one night and came up with some abstract looking shots. To get the effect, I stopped clear down to f/22 and stacked a couple ND filters and had exposure times of just under a full second and shot from my tripod. I was hoping to capture the color and motion of the wheat (which are both what I find attractive in it) and at the same time not make it immediately obvious what the photo subject was. This is one of the resulting images I got from that evening:

Sorry for the hijack, but it was something I've thought about lately and it was fresh on my mind.

the multiple colors in your grass make me want to hunt out a similar shot.

Again, cool shot. clap.gif
    That is way cuoool! I can make out the wheat looking at the center. My dream photo one day is to capture the wheat when one bunch is swaying one way, and another bunch is swaying the other way. I've seen it a few times on hills in WV when the wind blew in all directions. I love tall grass and such. There are so many ways to photograph the grass! Cool shot and thanks for the comment!!!
  • TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Eia wrote:
    That is way cuoool! I can make out the wheat looking at the center. My dream photo one day is to capture the wheat when one bunch is swaying one way, and another bunch is swaying the other way. I've seen it a few times on hills in WV when the wind blew in all directions. I love tall grass and such. There are so many ways to photograph the grass! Cool shot and thanks for the comment!!!

This is very cool. One of my personal goals for the summer was to try to capture the wheat moving in waves, just as water does in a large body. I'm not satisfied, but I think I got somewhat close this year. Harvest is in the latter half around here now, so it'll probably be next year before another chance.

575070452_avLzV-XL.jpg
    edited July 11, 2009
    Tallboy wrote:
    This is very cool. One of my personal goals for the summer was to try to capture the wheat moving in waves, just as water does in a large body. I'm not satisfied, but I think I got somewhat close this year. Harvest is in the latter half around here now, so it'll probably be next year before another chance.

575070452_avLzV-XL.jpg

That is beautiful! It looks so soft and inviting.