Options

Lightroom import from disk question

ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
edited July 10, 2009 in Finishing School
I kinda accidentally removed some files from Lightroom (but not my computer). When I go to my hardrive's file manager, I can see them all there with their xmp files. If I go to LR and say import from disk and go to that folder, they are all shown without the xmp files. How do I re-import with all my edits?
Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography

Comments

• Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    I kinda accidentally removed some files from Lightroom (but not my computer). When I go to my hardrive's file manager, I can see them all there with their xmp files. If I go to LR and say import from disk and go to that folder, they are all shown without the xmp files. How do I re-import with all my edits?

You need xmp AND the original Raws.

If you option click on the folder shown in LR, you should be able to invoke the Sync Folder and that will fix everything is in that folder. If not, you are going to have to search the drive and "relink" the images to the LR database (it doesn't know where they are).
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    arodney wrote:
    You need xmp AND the original Raws.

If you option click on the folder shown in LR, you should be able to invoke the Sync Folder and that will fix everything is in that folder. If not, you are going to have to search the drive and "relink" the images to the LR database (it doesn't know where they are).

Sorry I wasn't clear...that's what I was trying to ask (how to re-import the Raw with the xmp). The Sync Folder was what I had forgotten about. Thank you!

Just to be clear...this imports the files with the edits, but not the history. The original raw file is still available on my hardrive, but I can't look at an edited photo in LR and see the "before/raw" version now. Is that how Sync works?
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Sorry I wasn't clear...that's what I was trying to ask (how to re-import the Raw with the xmp). The Sync Folder was what I had forgotten about. Thank you!

Just to be clear...this imports the files with the edits, but not the history. The original raw file is still available on my hardrive, but I can't look at an edited photo in LR and see the "before/raw" version now. Is that how Sync works?

Sync should get everything back in order.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/