We're Inyo Forest, snapping yo pics

schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Landscapes
Happy Thursday, everyone! :D

Over the holiday weekend, my husband and I decided to try to get away for a few days. We don't get to spend much free time together at home, and we even missed our 5th anniversary last month because we were both so preoccupied with things. Given last weekend we were shooting the crowds of SF Pride Weekend, I also wanted to go someplace without thousands of people. :lol3

So we threw all our gear in the car along with the dog and some supplies, and headed south.

Our home base was Bishop, CA, sandwiched between three major National Parks: Sequioa, Kings Canyon, and Death Valley. Of course, since we had our dog, we couldn't visit any of them, but there was already plenty to see in the Inyo Forest -- which soon because a running joke (see title).

I'll spare all the details, but time for shooting ended up being fairly limited. Still, we were able to do a few drives around Lake Sabrina (eh, too many people camping and fishing) and the Bristlecone Pine Forest (:thumb:thumb). We'd missed the sweet light each day, but it was still gorgeous and a ton of fun.

The road back from Aspendell

585613219_Y27Gs-L.jpg

Heading east from Bishop. We ended up not being able to take this road because it was too rough for the Mini :lol3 Cue sadface, but we got around it by heading to Big Pine and taking the southern entrance into the park.

585614171_GvUJL-L.jpg

I'll never rival Galen Rowell (whose gallery we did visit)

585613678_GREKC-L.jpg

Facing west from the top of Patriarch Grove, you can see all the snow-capped mountains at eye-level across the valley

583720225_qXYHK-L.jpg

Climbing a 500-foot hill is no easy feat at this elevation

585612778_DuG6R-L.jpg

We always just missed sunset, but the purple haze up at 12k feet is just breathtaking

583702128_gTLiG-XL.jpg

And of course, a couple of attempts at star trails. This one was fun because we stalked the sunset. Only after we set up and started shooting did we realize that functional satellite dishes move. :rolleyes

583702546_Qh45i-XL.jpg

I've already posted this one, but the people we met while shooting this were just awesome. We'd reached the top of the road, where hikers park their cars and finish the climb to White Mountain, supposedly the USA's most underrated 14er. It's a very nice place to set up camp and acclimate yourself to the altitude, and we spent the evening warming ourselves by the fire and talking photography with two hikers from Detroit.

583217381_zo7tZ-L.jpg

All in all a great trip. For a forest there sure weren't many trees. :lol3

Thanks for looking!

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Definitely a cool looking place. I love shot #2. I believe that California has a different definition of forest than those of us from the east coast rolleyes1.gif
    Steve

Website
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Nice series. I like the light and the BW version of #3. Is that a bristlecone?

Also, the #6 pano is really something. Maybe it's not the perfect light but it's still pretty spectacular.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Definitely a cool looking place. I love shot #2. I believe that California has a different definition of forest than those of us from the east coast rolleyes1.gif

I'm starting to get that feeling, too. lol3.gif You have teeny little hardy trees, or ginormous ones like redwoods and sequoias. Both are awesome!
    edited July 9, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    Nice series. I like the light and the BW version of #3. Is that a bristlecone?

Also, the #6 pano is really something. Maybe it's not the perfect light but it's still pretty spectacular.

Thanks, Tom! Yes that was a bristlecone, and I have no idea if it was alive or not. Not that tourists should treat it any differently of course, as I imagine either way it was probably a few thousand years old. If you're going to be camping you have to bring your own wood, understandably.

Just walking five steps had me gasping for breath. Climbing the hill to that tree (about 30 feet) my vision started to get all watery lol3.gif Still, it's definitely worth a visit. The forest was much, much cooler (and rougher) than I expected!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I'll spare all the details, but time for shooting ended up being fairly limited.

:hide
    edited July 9, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    :hide

rolleyes1.gif I'm glad all of that got done when it did, though. And we got to avoid the worst heat of the day -- which was a quadruple plus :D
  • Kory LidstromKory Lidstrom Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Ok, this is officially the best thread title EVER! rolleyes1.gif

#2 is my fave. Nicely done.

BTW, if you're interested in doing more star trail photography, Floris Van Breugel has made a very good tutorial here.
    I see the world through a 3:2 rectangle.

My site:Fine Image Photography
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Holy moly! That's quite a series, Schmoo! Thank you so much for sharing the beautiful images.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 9, 2009
    Thanks, Mahesh! When are you coming down this way, or have you already shot these? I think we need a Map This! button just for you. :smo
    Ok, this is officially the best thread title EVER! rolleyes1.gif

#2 is my fave. Nicely done.

BTW, if you're interested in doing more star trail photography, Floris Van Breugel has made a very good tutorial here.
    Yay! I was wondering if anyone would find the name of the forest as amusing as I did, or if I was just wired strangely lol3.gif

I learned a little about shooting star trails from Andy and Marc, but wow that page has amazing advice. Thanks for sharing that! I've bookmarked that, especially for processing star shots. thumb.gif
  • TheLuckyPhotosTheLuckyPhotos Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 9, 2009
    All beautiful shots! 3rd one is my favorite.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    Always good to see your picsclap.gif Number 4 is so very nicedeal.gif what a good find.

The Inyo Forest Service makes up for the lack of trees with the age of them:D
    edited July 9, 2009
    Always good to see your picsclap.gif Number 4 is so very nicedeal.gif what a good find.

The Inyo Forest Service makes up for the lack of trees with the age of them:D

Thanks guys, and Marc yah definitely. I wish there was an easy way to tell which ones were old and which ones are positively ancient. I know that it's best for them to stay anonymous but here I thought some of the sequoias was old. And I was whining about turning 30...
  • TJDIVTJDIV Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 9, 2009
    brings back memories of driving to Mammoth. Cool shots.
    "Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger"

9zero6 | Upper Peninsula Overland
  • NeilLNeilL Registered Users Posts: 4,201 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Re the Inyo 'Forest', in the Northern Territory of Australia folk use the word 'desert' a little differently from the rest of us. People say for example 'over there in the desert' and indicate a flourishing thicket of trees and bushes. The best logic I could make of it was that the area was uncultivated, wild, in other words, and therefore deserted.

Schmoo, the second is the outstanding one for me. That road is the one you take when you don't intend to come back. So good that you didn't take it, eh!:D

I also like the first and the pano, though I won't hide the fact that my fingers are lusting to tickle the PP (oh! now there's a touch of innuendorolleyes1.gif ).

These shots show your eye looking for spacey scale, and I'm a sucker for big ideas. (I think my Freudian side is getting the uppereek7.gif - I'll stop! )

EDIT: I meant #2, not #3, is the outstanding one for me.
    "Snow. Ice. Slow!" "Half-winter. Half-moon. Half-asleep!"

http://www.behance.net/brosepix
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    clap.gifclapthumb.gif
    Beautiful photographs !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 11, 2009
    Great stuff, Schmoo. I think your B&W work, #2, 3, and the big dish star trails shots rate with the best I've ever seen. bowdown.gif

Anyway, looks like a very fun and productive trip. thumb.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Terrific series, and obviously a fun trip! You have such a flair for story-telling in your shots. I think I've seen #2 in a few old B&W movies!

I agree with the comments about #4--what a super image!

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com