moving galleries

AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
edited April 12, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hey there Baldy:

Please tell me how to move entire galleries. Is this possible?

ex: I have a gallery named "Portfolio". Within that gallery I have additional folders or galleries. Now that I'm refining my collection I want to move those sub-folders/galleries out of "portfolio" and to my main page.

Comments

• SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Angelo, I had a look at your site. If you want to move the gallery "las vegas" to the main page of your site you can make it a featured gallery. This will put it in the top position on your main page.

Hope this helps,

Shay.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 20, 2005
    Seamus wrote:
    Angelo, I had a look at your site. If you want to move the gallery "las vegas" to the main page of your site you can make it a featured gallery. This will put it in the top position on your main page.

Hope this helps,

Shay.
    Thanks but can I have more than one "featured" gallery - I'm trying to reorganize all of mine, hopefully without creating new and moving photos individually.
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks but can I have more than one "featured" gallery - I'm trying to reorganize all of mine, hopefully without creating new and moving photos individually.
    You can have up to 4 featured galleries.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    you can also display all galleries on your main page "Display Categores / Galleries". You could make the galleries you don't want on view private and they won't show up to visitors. This probably isn't the best solution but it should work if you want more than 4 galleries displayed ne_nau.gif
    edited June 20, 2005
    Thanks guys but these suggestions don't address what I think should be a simple "move" operation. Maybe Baldy will show up with an answer. Thank you for your suggestions.
  • BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited June 20, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks guys but these suggestions don't address what I think should be a simple "move" operation. Maybe Baldy will show up with an answer. Thank you for your suggestions.
    Hi Angelo :)

I'm not sure that this suggestion is what you are looking for, but you can click on the Photo Tools below a picture and go to Move Photos. From there, you can "Select All" and move them all to a different gallery. So you could create a gallery in a different category and easily move all the photos to the new gallery.

Not sure if that's what you need, but thought I'd throw it in :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    Angelo, I think you are asking for a feature that we currently do not have. On your homepage you can set it to display either Galleries or Categories, there can not be a mix. So if you want to see Galleries on your homepage besides the featured galleries - then you have to switch from displaying Categories. Does that answer your question?
    edited June 20, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Angelo, I think you are asking for a feature that we currently do not have. On your homepage you can set it to display either Galleries or Categories, there can not be a mix. So if you want to see Galleries on your homepage besides the featured galleries - then you have to switch from displaying Categories. Does that answer your question?
    Thanks JT but it doesn't... only confuses me more. I didn't know there was a difference between categories and galleries and besides I only want to move a group of folders from one place to another. Thanks for trying; much appreciated.

> Just tried. If I do that it throws open all galleries.
  • {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited June 20, 2005
    First thing is to stop saying folders, cause we don't have folders. :)
    We use categories and subcategories for organization. All galleries have to be in at least a Category - the Subcat is optional. Moving galleries is as easy as customizing that gallery and changing the Category.
    Angelo wrote:
    Thanks JT but it doesn't... only confuses me more. I didn't know there was a difference between categories and galleries and besides I only want to move a group of folders from one place to another. Thanks for trying; much appreciated.

> Just tried. If I do that it throws open all galleries.
    edited June 20, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    First thing is to stop saying folders, cause we don't have folders. :)
    We use categories and subcategories for organization. All galleries have to be in at least a Category - the Subcat is optional. Moving galleries is as easy as customizing that gallery and changing the Category.
    OK OK, NOT folders. folders Bad; galleries Good! :D
    Thanks JT - I now understand that my "galleries" are inside my "categories"

When I go into my "Portfolio" category you find several "galleries". I want to convert several (but not all) of those "galleries" to "categories" so they appear on my "homepage" (did I get that right?) But I can't figure out how to convert a "gallery" to a "category"
  • MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 21, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    OK OK, NOT folders. folders Bad; galleries Good! :D
    Thanks JT - I now understand that my "galleries" are inside my "categories"

When I go into my "Portfolio" category you find several "galleries". I want to convert several (but not all) of those "galleries" to "categories" so they appear on my "homepage" (did I get that right?) But I can't figure out how to convert a "gallery" to a "category"
    Well, you can't. You can _name_ a category the same as a gallery (like, category CARS and a gallery named CARS), but in order to put pics in the category, you will have to have a gallery inside. The only ways that I know of organizing galleries currently are as such:
    Main=root home page.

Main->gallery
    or
    Main->Category->gallery
    or
    Main->Category->SubCat->gallery

Hope this helps.
  • MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Maki wrote:
    Well, you can't. You can _name_ a category the same as a gallery (like, category CARS and a gallery named CARS), but in order to put pics in the category, you will have to have a gallery inside. The only ways that I know of organizing galleries currently are as such:
    Main=root home page.

Main->gallery
    or
    Main->Category->gallery
    or
    Main->Category->SubCat->gallery

Hope this helps.
    Well, it doesn't :-) WHEW!!! This should be "simple" no?

Never mind all this jumble of gallery and categories etc. What we want is a simple Gallery Move feature... can that be so difficult to understand? I mean I see it as the simplest thing of all:

While on a Gallery or whatever, there should be a button or a drop down menuoption that reads: Move This Gallery or Move Galleries Bulk

Then, the user would have a choice ofselecting a GALLERY and then selecting a DESTINATION CATEGORY to move it to. THere is no easy intuitive way to do this. Creating a new gallery under another category is not easy and it is not intuitive when we want to MOVE a gallery, not the pictures within it.

I may be the dumbest person on the planet but I just don't get it. :D Sorry for being dense, but, I only understand MOVE ... everything else is not MOVE a Gallery, it is a work around.. Laughing.gif

Thanks guys for being so attentive to users needs.
    Cheers
    Manny
    edited October 9, 2005
    Maybe this will help: Just exactly like JT said, when you're in your gallery, go to gallery tools and click on "customize gallery" like this...

39274314-L.jpg

And then when you're in the customize gallery area simply choose a category that you want that gallery to be in.

39274295-L.jpg

I'm not sure that can be much easier to do.

• MannyManny Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2005
    Yes, that helps but it is still not intuitive. It would be better if there was a simple move tool. While in your gallery, selecting the same drop down can take you to a move tool and you can then either manually or visually click on the area to move to.

It is unintuitive because you are customizing a gallery. Yes it works, but it is still not intuitive.

I will admit it is easy once you know how to do it :-)

And that is the point. Why did I have to ask here? It should have been more (yes, once more) intuitive.

Thanks for the visual, it helped a lot. :D

Cheers
    Manny
    edited October 10, 2005
    I'm sure that if the Smugmug folks get enough complaints about the system being unintuitive, they'll change it. I for one never had a problem with it. I mean, one of the first things you're going to do in a gallery is to customize the various settings. When you do, you've got that category drop down and the sub-category drop down staring you in the face. :shrug It seems to fit in perfectly IMHO.

• muddykneesmuddyknees Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2005
    Angelo wrote:
    Hey there Baldy:

Please tell me how to move entire galleries. Is this possible?

ex: I have a gallery named "Portfolio". Within that gallery I have additional folders or galleries. Now that I'm refining my collection I want to move those sub-folders/galleries out of "portfolio" and to my main page.
    To move one gallery from one category and/or subcategory to another, you can click "customize gallery" and fill in the new desired category and subcategory names in the text boxes provided.

The Category & Subcategory already have to exist, so you have to create them first via Control Panel. Even if the subcategory name in the new category location is to be the same as the subcategory name in the "old" category location, you have to "re"-create the new subcategory in the new category location.

It would be nice to just be able to move the entire set of galleries in a subcategory or category to another category or subcategory in a single operation like one can do with folders in windows.

I've been meaning to ask Nick whether his star-explorer can do this sort of thing (by rearranging the locally-defined gallery structure that I think is maintained in his program, and having the program methodically do the individual gallery re-assignments using the API. - Nick, is this so?

(I've been trying to rearrange my site but have been putting it off for this very reason - hoping that an easier way would be implemented. I've got 69 galleries in a category called flowers that I really just want to rename to a category called CNPS. Right now I'd have to individually reassign the category and subcategory names of each of these galleries using the method I describe above.)

Gary
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    I'm also looking for something similar to easily bulk move galleries from one category to another. 69 galleries you say? Try 500+ :cry

Any assistance appreciated.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    SamirD wrote:
    I'm also looking for something similar to easily bulk move galleries from one category to another. 69 galleries you say? Try 500+ :cry

Any assistance appreciated.

Samir, I have no way of changing categories for you, I'm sorry.

All the best,
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2006
    It's ok. Just keep the feature in mind when adding new ones. thumb.gif
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • digitalbilldigitalbill Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    I've been trying to do the same thing. Its not that difficult to understand the concept. I have two galleries. One named KAILEE that has NO photos in it and is intended to be a main gallery entrance. Then i created another gallery called KAILEE (6 weeks) which has photos in it. Problem is, i created these backwards becuase i never really intended to do more than one gallery for her originally but now i need to organize a bit better. It would be SO much easier to just MOVE the KAILEE (6 weeks) gallery into the KAILEE gallery because then in the future i can create more within it. ie.. 6 months, 1 year, etc..

The way it is now, i will just have to create another subgallery inside KAILEE and move all photos. Not a pain, but not as easy as just MOVING a gallery.

phew eek7.gif
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    I've been trying to do the same thing. Its not that difficult to understand the concept. I have two galleries. One named KAILEE that has NO photos in it and is intended to be a main gallery entrance. Then i created another gallery called KAILEE (6 weeks) which has photos in it. Problem is, i created these backwards becuase i never really intended to do more than one gallery for her originally but now i need to organize a bit better. It would be SO much easier to just MOVE the KAILEE (6 weeks) gallery into the KAILEE gallery because then in the future i can create more within it. ie.. 6 months, 1 year, etc..

The way it is now, i will just have to create another subgallery inside KAILEE and move all photos. Not a pain, but not as easy as just MOVING a gallery.

phew eek7.gif

Hi Bill,

ne_nau.gif you've totally lost me. Are you aware you can select all the photos and move them from one gallery to another?
  • digitalbilldigitalbill Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited April 12, 2006
    ne_nau.gif you've totally lost me. Are you aware you can select all the photos and move them from one gallery to another?__________________

Yes i do realize that Andy but after much RE READING this, the correct METHOD of achieving what we want is to display by category. Take a look now.

thanks.

Im gonan stick to trying to learn to take better pictures and someday maybe i will get a good website rolleyes1.gif