Options

Revisitng Dgrin Shootout 2008

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited July 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Went wandering through the archives and decided to process a couple more shots.

1. Dead Horse Point- (group shoot) two image HDR then processed in LR and CS4 to try and reduce the HDR effects that I do not like. Still do not like some of the sky but what say you?

586964155_PEhgB-XL.jpg

2A. Paria Plateau- 2nd Process of this shot
586963733_T9JjK-L-1.jpg

Compared to 1st processing

2B.
393622838_umDYu-L-1.jpg

Let me know your thoughts.
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• Options
    hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Aaron,

I like the detail that's coming out in the first. I agree, the HDR software appears to be blocking up some of the clouds.

The first seems to lack a little depth, to my eye. The foreground rocks have great detail and light, but I'm wondering if the intermediate red wants to be a touch darker? Is the picture tilted down to the left?

I like the new processing on number 2. The horizon seems tilted to the right but that could be perspective effects.
  • Options
    thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Very nice, Aaron!

1st shoot: The highlights in the sky are a bit too bright. The horizon is tilted. Your tripod may have been perfectly aligned to the horizon, but the perception from what I see is an image that is a counter clockwise tilted. In pictures, it's perception that counts.

2nd/3rd shot: I like the sky from the 3rd and the FG brightness from the 2nd. If you could combine the two elements into one, you'd have the "perfect" brightness and sky detail, IMO. The image is tilted a bit clockwise, as Tom mentioned above.

I'd be happy to call any of these shots mine! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 10, 2009
    Agree with all that's been stated above. Sky is blown out in places on the first one. HDR software will happily do that if you're not paying attention.

I really like Mahesh's idea of combining the sky from the 2b with the rocks from 2a. Using HDR in conjunction with manual blending is not an uncommon thing to want to do.

But overall, I really like the way you've coaxed the light and details out on these shots. You're definitely on the right track.

-joel
  • Options
    dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    I like # 2 the best. I also like #1 (fix horizon).

I like the sky in 3 with the rocks in 2.

Dan
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Great advice so far in this thread. I love the last show and the foreground is wonderful. thumb.gif

My only nit is the WB on these which seems a bit cyan and magenta to me. With the sweet light I expect the light to be a touch warmer, but of course that's all up to you, as the artist!
  • Options
    bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    I agree with the other comments, but would offer this suggestion. Try both in b/w. I've found you can get some very intense results converting HDR to b/w. That first image, to me, screams b/w conversion.
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks everyone for pointing out my lopsidedness. rolleyes1.gif

I will see if I can straighten them without ruining the foreground. I think it is more of a lens issue though as they were very wide shots. 7mm and 17mm.

Guess I better learn to merge images. deal.gif

Back to the editing room.
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion