Wyoming Plateau - Looking for C&C

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited July 15, 2009 in Landscapes
After seeing Dan's nice Orton effect, I thought I'd try another one. This is a shot from my recent trip to CO. It is one piece of a 5-shot pano. I just liked the lines in this one so I thought I'd try it on its own. I did two Orton versions here, with some extra blurring in the foreground grass to make it dreamier. Please let me know if you think either of these work. If you want to see the pano, I will post it too.

Sorry these aren't side-by-side. I keep being told to "post Large" so I did. :D

Thanks!
Lauren

587090229_Kd9jy-L.jpg

2. Extra blurring in foreground
587091130_KhL6n-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    A simple and beautiful scene, Lauren. I like the Orton effect here and the blurring of the FG in the 2nd. Nice! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    A simple and beautiful scene, Lauren. I like the Orton effect here and the blurring of the FG in the 2nd. Nice! thumb.gif

+1 thumb.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Thanks to you both!

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
    edited July 14, 2009
    Any other comments/suggestions?

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    The Orton Effect looks very nice here in combination with the motion blurred foreground. Both are good but I prefer the second shot.

I have two suggestions for improvement. Although your camera may have been level, the angles on the ridges as well as the edge of the foreground grasses are all angled. As I look at this shot, I keep having to tilt my head to even it out so I'd suggest a little (not too much) clockwise rotation. The other suggestion would be to crop out some of the sky as it's pretty bland and taking too much attention away from the landscape.
    edited July 14, 2009
    Thanks for the comments, Danny. How does this version look? I went ahead and did a total straight horizon approach--is it too much?

590736304_zNSnL-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Nope, not too much. That looks perfect!
    edited July 14, 2009
    :-)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Hi Lauren
    this is an interesting effect. Of the first two, I preferred #1 however in both 1&2 the rock formation did not stand out and seemed to be overshadowed by the FG and sky. The cropped, straightened version gives the landscape much more prominence and is thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    Lauren,

I like the blurring of the grass in the second photo but it's not standing out to my admittedly older eyes. If you want the blurred grass to be the principle subject you may want to try to enhance the grass to draw the viewers eye. Maybe darken very slightly and add some contrast. If you use Lightroom you can add some clarity and maybe contrast. That might give it some more depth. Another trick might be to try and use a gradient in the front with contrast and/or clarity to draw the viewers eye.
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    the tilted horizon doesn't seem to bother me. I like the grass! but I do like your later version with the strait horizon too. I wouldn't know which to choose! :D
    edited July 15, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments. I'll play with this some more and post another version or two. I'm glad to see so much interest--thank you, thank you!!! :D

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com