Moonlit Hayfield

TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited July 10, 2009 in Landscapes
Shot under the moon earlier this week at my favorite local hay meadow. Not real thrilled with the results, but it was fun to mess around in the dark:

585238052_jsfib-XL.jpg

50mm lens on my D40. Remote shutter - 31sec @ f/1.8, ISO 200

Posted another similar image in Technique, but figured I'd show here as well for some C&C - I'm eager to learn any tricks/techniques to improve on the next time the opportunity comes along.

Thanks!

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Cool! The long shadows cast by haystacks is pretty awesome. thumb.gif What are those bright dots on the ground? You could clone them out if you find them distracting.
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Cool! The long shadows cast by haystacks is pretty awesome. thumb.gif What are those bright dots on the ground? You could clone them out if you find them distracting.

Those are lightning bugs...I'm undecided if I like them or not. Part of me doesn't like them, but on the other hand they are part of the season around here (I didn't realize until someone told me different that they weren't found all over).

That and I'm software illiterate. :D That excuse has about ran it's course, I'm afraid.

Any tips on equipment/technique to clarify the picture?

Thanks! clap.gif
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Whoah that's actually REALLY cool to me that those are lightning bugs. :D There's got to be a way to showcase them in a shot, somehow.....
  • TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Whoah that's actually REALLY cool to me that those are lightning bugs. :D There's got to be a way to showcase them in a shot, somehow.....

At first they bugged me, but the more I thought about it and they kinda go along with the season of the year - harvest moon, fresh baled hay meadow, and lightning bugs.

Coordinating lightning bugs would be tough - herding cats would probably be easier. rolleyes1.gif Although you do give me an idea I'll have to try this weekend.
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Oh, I miss lightning bugs! Can you shoot some closeups for me, Laughing.gif. When we visited New York several years ago we caught some and took a couple of photos of them on our hand.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Tallboy wrote:
    Coordinating lightning bugs would be tough - herding cats would probably be easier. rolleyes1.gif Although you do give me an idea I'll have to try this weekend.

I hope you do! That sounds exciting, so can't wait to see. thumb.gif