Pentax K200D - Can you save custom user settings?

tele_pathictele_pathic Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 13, 2009 in Cameras
Howdy all. I have a question about my Pentax K200D. Can I save custom user settings and name them in one of the menus/sub-menus? For example, if I set the ISO, apeture and shutter speed to a particular setting for indoor photos of family/portraits type shots and find a good combination of these settings, can I then save those settings and label them something like "Indoor Portrait" or some such and then whenever that need arises, simply find that saved label in the menu and have all the settings already pre-set instead of having to remember the particular settings and set them each time I need them? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

TP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

P.S. Can the Pentax K20D do this? If so, I may have to consider upgrading?<!-- / message -->

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Howdy all. I have a question about my Pentax K200D. Can I save custom user settings and name them in one of the menus/sub-menus? For example, if I set the ISO, apeture and shutter speed to a particular setting for indoor photos of family/portraits type shots and find a good combination of these settings, can I then save those settings and label them something like "Indoor Portrait" or some such and then whenever that need arises, simply find that saved label in the menu and have all the settings already pre-set instead of having to remember the particular settings and set them each time I need them? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

TP<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

P.S. Can the Pentax K20D do this? If so, I may have to consider upgrading?<!-- / message -->

Can't speak for the K200d.

On the K20D there is a mode dial called "User" that lets you pre-save a set of shooting conditions (exposure, wb, etc.). However, you cannot have multiple "user" settings saved at the same time.

HTH.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,080 moderator
    edited July 10, 2009
    I don't see a capability for either the Pentax K200D or the K20D to save custom user settings beyond individual customization per mode and a single "User" mode for the K20D. The K20D can choose "which" settings to save during a power off, but the default is to save them all.

I don't believe I have seen "any" dSLR that can save custom settings by a "custom name", but there are some dSLRs that can indeed save multiple custom user settings for later recall.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    I just played around with mine a bit, doesn't appear to be an option. ne_nau.gif
  • tele_pathictele_pathic Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    It looks like the Canon EOS 40D has 3 custom user modes right there on the left dial. Is that true?
    http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Canon_EOS_40D/images/Canon_40D_dial_back.jpg
  • tele_pathictele_pathic Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow, I can't believe that picture pasted into the thread. Anyway, do any other Canon cameras have this feature? I hate to give up me Pentax, but that looks pretty damn handy and exactly what I've been wishing to have.