Playin with a ring light

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in People
Just trying out a new ring light. Neat eye effect.

587452623_JkN6p-X2.jpg

587452607_uNwfa-X2.jpg

587452540_Ysqev-X2.jpg

587452597_bJSPf-X2.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Well I love the light...

The catchlights, on the other hand are a little strange.

But it is really pretty light.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    I absolutely adore ringlights and this is a really great example of why they rock! thumb.gif
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    wow... the lighting here is amazing bowdown.gif the catchlights are definatly a new one for my taste buds.. but its growing on me.. really edgy. Nice work!!
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited July 10, 2009
    Er, um…

Marilyn Manson?

eek7.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    MissB wrote:
    wow... the lighting here is amazing bowdown.gif the catchlights are definatly a new one for my taste buds.. but its growing on me.. really edgy. Nice work!!

ITA
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Ok, HB,,,,, wadichya get?

These are nice shots.
    Dig the hell out of #1
    #3 ain't none to shabby either. mwink.gif

Were all shot with just the RL or did you add kickers???
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Thanks all.

D'Buggs, a photographer I'''m friends with got several ring lights from China in a group purchase. The lights are similar to Alien Bee's ring light but a larger diameter. About 22" and 150 watts.

Alll shots were only with the ring light. Close ups the light was 2 to 3 ft away and 3/4 were about 6 feet away. Canon 28-70 and 70-200 at ISO 800 and 5.6ish or bigger.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Nice photos, I think #3 is my favorite thumb.gif

Interesting shadow on the last one deal.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • jpendley77jpendley77 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    I agree with the shadowing on the last one. Really cool. I love ring lights, but the catch light seems to give her a different personality. I have used them for band photos. It is a super cool effect!
    edited July 11, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Nice photos, I think #3 is my favorite thumb.gif

Interesting shadow on the last one deal.gifrolleyes1.gif

The shadow is the natural effect of the ring light especially when subject is close to the bkg. Saturday Night Live used to use that effect alot with the guest shots at the beginning of the show. It grows on you.
  • momwacmomwac Registered Users Posts: 65 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Saturday Night Live used to use that effect alot
    That explains why my first thought was, "Gilda Radner!" even though the model doesn't look anything like her.

Very interesting effect.
    edited July 13, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    Thanks all.

D'Buggs, a photographer I'''m friends with got several ring lights from China in a group purchase. The lights are similar to Alien Bee's ring light but a larger diameter. About 22" and 150 watts.

Alll shots were only with the ring light. Close ups the light was 2 to 3 ft away and 3/4 were about 6 feet away. Canon 28-70 and 70-200 at ISO 800 and 5.6ish or bigger.

Thanks - You happy with 'em or is it to early to tell?
    edited July 13, 2009
    The young lady was thrilled with them. I start using it in ernest in August when I start my senior season. Let you know then but I think it will go over well.
    edited July 13, 2009
    .... More-so wondering about reliability. I can see NO REASON why the sitter wouldn't like these shots. Its just that I've had more disappointments in China's quality control (all products) than I've been satisfied with, that I've tried out.

My lighting kit (see sigline), for example, started off disastrous - Syncs wouldn't work (took 4 to get a good one) and I also fried 4 capacitors in 4 different heads, all around the same shot count. Luckily for me, the CEO up here (Canada) was VERY approachable and we actually exchanged conversations 3 times in one week; He personally selected new replacements that now go "pop" each and every time I press the shutter. I'm happy now, but it was a bumpy ride there for a while. I can now honestly endorse their L 150 (with the 250 ws rating) monolight and will likely buy 1 or two more for myself. Stay away from the ones that are rated for 200 ws though!

Other than that Chinese made product (OPUS), about the only other one that I could even think about getting behind is the Hyundai.... A very reliable and CHEAP, automobile. :D

Get clicking and count on me *reminding* you for an update, as time passes on. thumb.gif
    edited July 13, 2009
    D'buggs,

This light is a continious output daylight tube so not trouble with misfires.
  • 8zil8zil Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    you are very right, it highlights her eyes greatly, althou personally I like more shadows in my portraits, I love the ring's uniform light, i think it becomes this particular subject
  • CantfeelmyfingersCantfeelmyfingers Registered Users Posts: 531 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    I absolutely adore ringlights and this is a really great example of why they rock! thumb.gif

+1
    "Take my picture, Tonight I feel beautiful..."
    -Marilyn Monroe
    edited July 14, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    D'buggs,

This light is a continious output daylight tube so not trouble with misfires.

Be a gent and send me a link, will ya? headscratch.gif