Nova Scotia Nostalgia

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Landscapes
We recently spent a week in Nova Scotia and rarely saw a blue sky.When it wasn't foggy, it was uniformly overcast providing a totally featureless sky most days. Growing up in a fishing community has left me with a love for the quaint atmosphere these places have. Hope you enjoy.

1. Peggy's Cove (HDR)
580462843_wtLCB-XL.jpg

2. Fisherman's Cove
583448848_4vtcV-XL.jpg

3. Peggy's Cove (ahhh there's a bit of blue sky for a change)
581601066_FgmjF-XL.jpg
4. Peggy's Cove
583560787_Aj8EQ-XL.jpg

5. Peggy's Cove on a different day.
580042326_ZrpG8-XL.jpg

6. The sign just said Lighthouse Point :dunno (HDR)
587859243_9F56v-XL.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Wonderful set Jack 1 and 2 are fabulous. I want to be there clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Excellent series, Jack! My late stepfather spent some childhood years in NS and my mom has 3 prints of Peggy's Cove in her house. It's nice to see the real thing.

For overcast skies, you brought out some nice results. The subjects and colors stand out nicely, esp in 1 and 6--those are my faves.

Lauren
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • canon400dcanon400d Banned Posts: 2,826 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Excellent series, Jack! My late stepfather spent some childhood years in NS and my mom has 3 prints of Peggy's Cove in her house. It's nice to see the real thing.

For overcast skies, you brought out some nice results. The subjects and colors stand out nicely, esp in 1 and 6--those are my faves.

Lauren

Great shots Jack and I love the colours well done.
    Regards
    Bob
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Wonderful set Jack 1 and 2 are fabulous. I want to be there clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Thanks Dan. We don't have the majestic mountains, canyons and incredible rock formations you westerners have. But we love our seashore.

Jack
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Beautiful shots, Jack! You did a wonderful job with what was available. Sweet! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited July 12, 2009
    redleash wrote:

Lauren

Thanks Lauren. Those are my favorites as well but then I tend to favor HDR.

Jack
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I like number 3, it looks so inviting to me for some reason.
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Photoogenic
    Nova Scotia is so beautiful. I was there 5 years ago and took a full roll of film in no time. I had my first digital and learned quickly that one compact flash card and one battery were not enough. I left the battery on the charger and had to buy a disposable camera at the lighthouse.

One day I will go back. Thank you, Jack for sharing these images - they're lovely.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Jack, I like HDR also, though I haven't shot too many lately. You always do a nice job without pushing too far--just bring out the natural color tones. Excellent!
    "But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 13, 2009
    Beautiful shots of a beautiful area. Really love the saturated colors in these. thumb.gif

-joel
    edited July 13, 2009
    canon400d wrote:
    Great shots Jack and I love the colours well done.
    Regards
    Bob

Thanks for the nice comments Bob.

Jack
    edited July 13, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Beautiful shots, Jack! You did a wonderful job with what was available. Sweet! thumb.gif

Thanks Mahesh
    A totally blah sky really detracts from most images IMHO. I have lots from this trip that will never be posted for that reason.

Jack
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    You make it worse for me , because my Mom is back there visiting family. I would like to be there too. But did not have the time to make the trip. It is a gorgeous area. It has been a couple of years since I have been there. Need to revisit soon
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
    edited July 13, 2009
    IanJ wrote:
    I like number 3, it looks so inviting to me for some reason.

Thanks Ian. That was one of the best sky days we had all week. The views were very beautiful.

Jack
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Hey Jack,

Boy, this is some seriously good work. I can feel the atmosphere in these shots. Excellent stuff.

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Home town view
    Hi Jack. Glad you had a good trip to God's country (the Maritimes). I went to university in Halifax and lived in Seabright - a wee fishing village just a few miles up the road from Peggy's Cove. You did a WONDERFUL job capturing the brilliant colours of the houses and buildings.

We've just had two months of the worst, wet, and miserable weather in eons. Hopefully it will improve soon before we all mould!

Glad you enjoyed your sojourn to the shore despite the weather. Come back again.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
    edited July 14, 2009
    ChatKat wrote:
    Nova Scotia is so beautiful. I was there 5 years ago and took a full roll of film in no time. I had my first digital and learned quickly that one compact flash card and one battery were not enough. I left the battery on the charger and had to buy a disposable camera at the lighthouse.

One day I will go back. Thank you, Jack for sharing these images - they're lovely.

Thanks ChatKat. I feel your pain. I mistakenly packed my 300mm f/4 lens instead of the 20-200 f2.8 (they are very similar in size and looks). I had to shoot most everything with my 14-24 f/2.8 Nikkor

Jack
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Wide is good
    The good thing about a wide angle lens is that you get nice near panoramas. Perfect for landscape. No battery makes it so that there are no pictures!

Your wide angle was perfect for Peggy's Cove.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
    edited July 14, 2009
    redleash wrote:
    Jack, I like HDR also, though I haven't shot too many lately. You always do a nice job without pushing too far--just bring out the natural color tones. Excellent!

Thanks Lauren
    I think that there's a very limited place for the overcooked look but not generally in landscapes.

Jack