Model Shoot Opinions please

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited July 12, 2009 in People
Here are a few shots from a model shoot I did yesterday at Moss Beach, CA. Opinions wanted. Thank You.

_DSC0003_edited-1-2.jpg
_DSC0007_edited-1-1.jpg
_DSC0012_edited-1.jpg
_DSC0032_edited-1.jpg
_DSC0106_edited-1.jpg
_DSC0172_edited-1.jpg

Comments

• grimacegrimace Registered Users Posts: 1,537 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I'm not a great model photographer but I would be happy to give you my C&C.

The 1st shot seems a little too washed out. I'd be interested to hear how you processed the shot.

I like the angle of the 3rd shot but the model seems to have her eyes shut. It would had been a stronger photograph is she would had been look at the camera or slightly away from it.

The sky in the 4th shot is too blown out.

The 5th shot is my favorite. I like the angle and the lines the trees provide. I'd consider bumping us the contrast just a little bit.
  • justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Thank you for those article. I usually do landscape photography, so this is all new to me. I do have another shoot planned and will be shooting in a studio in San Jose. I do have a stylist, a model(s) and assistants. I hope I will have better results, especially after reading your articles.
    edited July 12, 2009
    These are from previous shoots.

_DSC0071_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0123_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0029_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0125_edited-1-1.jpg
    _DSC0115_edited-1.jpg
    _DSC0015_edited-1.jpg
    edited July 12, 2009
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    First of all, allow me to congratulate you for your attempt to break into the "modeling world"! clap.gif

Having said that:
    benjikan wrote:
    I am sorry to say, that shooting a model is a lot more than "shooting a model"...
    +1 deal.gif

As Adam (Grimace) have already noticed, quite some of your frames looked washed out, and quite frankly, those that are not look overprocessed (with the exception of the shot in the pine forest where PP seems to be adequate). If my experience is any indication, such a washout may come from a inadequate glass, be it the lens itself or, surprisingly, simply UV or CP filter. Simply cleaning those up can make night-and-day difference. Also: "Use the hood, Luc!"

As for the rest...
    • non-engaged model doesn't enage me as a viewer
    • chopped-off limbs is typical rookie mistake. Watch your framing. Unlike landscapes, where one often let an element (like a rock or a tree branch) bleed out of the frame, human subjects are much more sensible in that respect. Shoot more loose initially until you get better with in-camera framing: it's OK to lose some (even large) percentage of frame and crop in post as opposed to runinig the whole shot.
    • too short focal length is not favorable for female subjects unless you're going for a special effect.
    Read Ben's links and keep shooting - it will come thumb.gif :-)

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    justin24 wrote:
    Thank you for those article. I usually do landscape photography, so this is all new to me. I do have another shoot planned and will be shooting in a studio in San Jose. I do have a stylist, a model(s) and assistants. I hope I will have better results, especially after reading your articles.
    My untrained eye kept looking at the fold lines in the dress, apparently the dress had been folded and you can see the exact crease lines left in it. And they all seemed a bit soft and mushy.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
    edited July 12, 2009
    I do tend to have a problem with the limbs thing. Thank you all for the advice, keep them coming. I am going to go back in to photoshop and rework the images I have.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    justin24 wrote:
    ...I am going to go back in to photoshop and rework the images I have...
    It's not my intention to rub, but imho PS is the least of your worries...
    Sure, it can fix a blemish or two, or add some conrast by using curves, but it cannot turn a harsh midday sun into an overcast, transform a WA lens into a telephoto, change an aperture from f/8 to f/2.8 or change a "posed" pose into a more relaxed one... ne_nau.gif
    I am a big proponent of using all the tools at one's disposal, but I also believe that you gotta start with a good frame to begin with.deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited July 12, 2009
    I totally agree with you. The lens was clean might just be due to the lens hood. I am going to focus more on framing the subject.