PSD Layers in Lightroom

QuietlightQuietlight Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited July 11, 2009 in Finishing School
Everyday I am appreciating the power of Lightroom.

Here's a question that has been on my mind a lot: Is there a way that would allow me to import a PSD file into Lightroom, manipulate it and then save it again as PSD with all the layers intact? It seems like what's happening now is that after I resave in Lightroom the PSD file is flattened.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited July 11, 2009
    Quietlight wrote:

Here's a question that has been on my mind a lot: Is there a way that would allow me to import a PSD file into Lightroom, manipulate it and then save it again as PSD with all the layers intact? It seems like what's happening now is that after I resave in Lightroom the PSD file is flattened.

Thanks for your help.

Nope...LR doesn´t do layers. What you could do is create a merged layer in PS, create a new document from it, process that document in LR and then bring it back into the still open PSD. But why bother? If you plan your processing well, there shouldn´t be any need for it. ne_nau.gif
  • arodneyarodney Registered Users Posts: 2,005 Major grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    Quietlight wrote:

For LR to do any processing, layers or not, it has to build a new document internally (high bit, linear gamma, ProPhoto primaries) then apply the metadata instructions you specify for the new iteration. As such, it can't honor the layers, it has to flatten everything into one plane to process the data. Bottom line is, once you get to the point in the image processing where you have layers, you're done doing any edits in LR anyway. You've moved past parametric editing and into pixel editing.
    Andrew Rodney
    Author "Color Management for Photographers"
    http://www.digitaldog.net/