Monitor & a laptop?

kellygreenkellygreen Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited July 23, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Let's say that I want to have a monitor connected to my camera that shows the previews AND I want my laptop connected, so they're downloading direct to it.

I seem capable of getting one or the other to work, but not together. Is there something I'm missing?

Comments

• kellygreenkellygreen Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2009
    No? Nothing? If this is one of those kinds of questions that's been asked a million times, I swear, I did search...

Anyway. It's a Rebel XT hooked up to a mini lcd through the video output. Also hooked up to an Eee! PC with Canon EOS Utility through the digital to instant download.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    if I can remember how we did this sorta thing for opera's at the University........camera should hook up to pc first and then pc is coupled to 2nd monitor.......I think that is correct...that way as you shoot you save to hdd and can see it on the 2nd monitor.....wiht a still cam this willn ot give you a preview priuor to hitting shutter but gives you a view after photo is taken...........

Depending on you camera you may want to look into
    the eye-fi sd cards also......to cut down on hard wiring everything to gether

HTH
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 13, 2009
    Art,

What a genius idea! Linking the monitor to the laptop won't work in my situation, only because I want to be editing images at the same time more images are being taken, but I'd never even heard of Eye-Fi before! This may be the sollution I'd been dreaming of.

Thank you for the tip! I sense a great deal of research in my future...

KG
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Most laptops support two monitors, including the one on the laptop. If you use Windows, simply connect the other monitor, rt click the desktop and select properties. On the last tab you can configure how you want both monitors to function...usually expand your desktop.

Then you simply need to use a program that will show previews from images in a folder...Windows Gallery will do for example. Have this show full screen on the monitor, while you work on your laptop screen on the other bit of the screen. This way you can also stop the screenshow, and preview images for a particular customer.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    kellygreen wrote:
    Art,

What a genius idea! Linking the monitor to the laptop won't work in my situation, only because I want to be editing images at the same time more images are being taken, but I'd never even heard of Eye-Fi before! This may be the sollution I'd been dreaming of.

Thank you for the tip! I sense a great deal of research in my future...

KG

Check out this CLUBSMUG............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited July 23, 2009
    New info! I was back reading and found this paragraph that describes what I want to do, essentially.

Laptop 2 - Secondary 15" laptop. I was only able to find one way to automatically have the images (on a Mac), AS THEY ARE SHOT, refresh, and it was using the "desktop images folder" set within system preferences to do that. All other applications, once you started the slide show, it only accessed whatever images were in the folder when the slideshow started, even the screen saver. This laptop connected wirelessly to the 17" laptop, mounting it as a network drive, and then used as the source for "desktop images" the folder that is created by the software that keeps a file saved of just the images printed. In turn, this laptop was connected via a 50' VGA cord to my LCD projector, which displayed the images on the wall, in the background.

Link to the whole article is here.

He says there is a way to go into system preferences so that the slideshow is constantly updated with new images, as long as they're from a specified desktop images folder.

I seem to be missing where and how I would set this; I can't for the life of me get my slideshow to show new images as they are shot. Someone with more brains than I think they can puzzle it out?

Thank you so much! I'm literally at the end of my rope here...