New Baby Announcement

galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
edited July 12, 2009 in People
Hey Everyone,

I was planning to use this collage of 3 pictures I took as part of a baby announcement. Basically, this portrait oriented photo would be the left half of a landscape-oriented 5x7.

Looking for suggestions on how I could make it better.

-KG

588175764_tbAyA-L.jpg

Comments

• ontherivetontherivet Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 11, 2009
    - I think the best newborn shots capture a moment which is soft, innocent and maybe a bit vulnerable. Not sure any of these really do this.
    - I would stay away from the triptic and find one, really great shot that accomplishes the first point.
    - If you want to go with multiple images, the hand shot is distracting (my eyes go right to the child's OoF face) and the feet shot isn't really that special.
    - The main image at the top is also bit of a problem especially with the leading line at the top, the back of a couch maybe, looks like the little guy/girl? is going to roll out of the frame to the left.
    - And, the mere fact that it looks like you just laid the kid on the couch to take an announcement photo is probably the biggest issue. Set up the shot properly, find a nice big fluffy towel, sheet or something to isolate the subject a bit better and throw in some nice window light.

I didn't shoot my own announcement and infant shots and instead hired the best in my area to take newborn shots of my little girl who is now 6 months old. It takes a special eye to produce really memorable and unique infant photos. I would suggest looking at sites of photogs who specialize in this and you'll find plenty of good ideas.

Oh, and assuming this is your little prize, congratulations and enjoy the ride.
  • galla47galla47 Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    She is mine! Just over a week old.

I (and more importantly my wife) agreed with most of your comments. I tried it again last night. Comments on this one? Is this effort better?

588853072_3GD3A-L.jpg
  • ontherivetontherivet Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    I think these are much nicer. Losing the couch was a huge improvement and the composition is a lot better.

- Watch the crop on the hand in the top shot. Get the whole arm/hand in or move the crop in so it's not cutting off the fingers (I'm not religious about this myself, just pointing it out because it's easy to do).
    - Check the horizon on the first shot, looks a bit sloped and there's a slight bit of shadow behind her head (not a deal killer).
    - The light overall is a bit too even. A bit more directionality and some falloff on the background would bring in some depth and a bit more complexity.
    - I would throw a bit of softening in...might just a matter of taste but I use -25 to even as much as -50 clarity in LR on shots like these of my daughter.
    - I would also try some lens correction vignetting, might look really nice and draw eyes into the center of each frame.
    - Something that might make the hand shot really shine is to have her hold your finger or the edge of a blanket since it looks like she likes her fingers curled (my daughter permanently curls her toes). I think her hand should "do something", like her foot being in the air.

I'm not going to offer any child-rearing suggestions as my girl doesn't sleep and is screaming her head off at the moment.