Newbie Here with Shots of New Orleans at Night

stradivariusstradivarius Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited July 12, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi All,

Yep, this is my very first post. I look forward to getting to know you all.

I recently started getting into DSLR photography and have played around with some night shots. Below are a few from New Orleans from about a month ago. As a true novice with no formal training, I'm not here to look for anyone to compliment me on my photos; rather, I would truly appreciate any constructive criticisms you can give me. So please don't shy away from saying that my pictures stink if you think so...I look forward to your comments. Thanks!

Bourbon Street at around 3:30 am...
534660948_ccVmS-M.jpg

Our Hotel Pool at around 3:30 am...
532733990_EZAm6-M.jpg

Another shot of our hotel...
535586635_wo7HG-M.jpg
As a musician, this one is my favorite...it's Preservation Hall in the French Quarter at around 9:00 pm. I had tried a long-exposure only to realize that the only subjects that didn't move were my wife and my baby in the stroller (in front of the building).
535586322_UNC5B-M.jpg

Random street corner in the French Quarter at 11:00 pm...
535585522_xYfhM-M.jpg

Comments

• grosdagrosda Registered Users Posts: 36 Big grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Strad;

Great first tries!! A suggestion for #1: there is a green cast to that image. It may be that florescent lights are being used in the buildings. Try shooting the same shot with the florescent white balance setting.

I love the "ghosts" of the moving subjects in the image of Preservation Hall.

I will look forward to seeing more of your images!
    Dale G

- My Gallery
    - My Blog
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Beautiful shots! Love that great color of the swimming pool. It was pretty warm on our hike yesterday, so that image is very refreshing! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • stradivariusstradivarius Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited July 12, 2009
    Thanks to both Dale and Mahesh.

I do see the green cast, Dale. I'll work on changing the setting as you suggest when I come across a similar situation.

BTW, both of your galleries are pretty cool.