The Baker is Cooking

thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
edited July 14, 2009 in Landscapes
I went on a moderately strenuous hike this weekend to the Mt. Baker area. Boy, am I glad I made the trek, as the light was amazing, and the snow was just beginning to melt. I lugged my entire Sony gear up with me, but ended up using the wide angle for most shots. I almost got frost bite setting up this shot, as I was ankle deep in freezing water for about 20 min, waiting for the right light. :D

Sony A-900 & Zeiss 16-35 f/2.8 lens

588835163_8M7vw-XL-1.jpg
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Comments

• CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Wow!!

Mahesh, that's just an absolutely stunning image!! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • HDShooterHDShooter Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    That is REALLY nice! Love the colored clouds in the ice in the lower left of the frame.
    I need to go up there some time.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 12, 2009
    We aren't worthy... bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gif
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Your effort was worth I would say! Your caption fits the picture perfect! :D Boy...if this is your moderate hike I sure would like to see pics from a serious hike! rolleyes1.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Wow!!! Truly a stunning photograph. Gorgeous colors!

I tried to go up to Baker last weekend but got sent back due to a brush fire across the road :cry

Is this the Park Butte trail? Either way, did you have to use snow shoes or was the trail clear? I've been itching for a Baker or Shuksan shot now that the snow is starting to clear just a little bit and you can get the transition from winter to summer like you so beautifully captured here.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:
    Wow!!! Truly a stunning photograph. Gorgeous colors!

I tried to go up to Baker last weekend but got sent back due to a brush fire across the road :cry

Is this the Park Butte trail? Either way, did you have to use snow shoes or was the trail clear? I've been itching for a Baker or Shuksan shot now that the snow is starting to clear just a little bit and you can get the transition from winter to summer like you so beautifully captured here.

Thanks, Ron! You're exactly correct. This is from Park Butte. I was wondering if anyone would guess the location. There is still quite a bit of snow on the trail, particularly as you get higher up. I didn't have snow shoes and don't think you really need 'em. Hiking poles are a definite plus as are Yaktrax.

Mahesh
    edited July 12, 2009
    Thanks so far for all the comments, gang! The trip was a tough but it was good for my soul and health. :D

Mahesh
  • eMOJOeMOJO Registered Users Posts: 156 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    What an amazing shot bowdown.gif

Well worth the effort I think... makes me want to get out there
    If you can't see the bright side of life...
    POLISH THE DARK SIDE

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Simply beautiful - what wonderful colors thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Thanks, Ron! You're exactly correct. This is from Park Butte. I was wondering if anyone would guess the location. There is still quite a bit of snow on the trail, particularly as you get higher up. I didn't have snow shoes and don't think you really need 'em. Hiking poles are a definite plus as are Yaktrax.

Thanks for the trail report! I've never hiked it before, but I was looking for Baker reflections last year and this was one of the potential locations I spotted in a hiking guide (I remember those trees on the left) but I didn't make it out there (I chose Iceberg Lake on the Chain Lakes trail instead - unfortunately the path to the reflection was closed to protect the wildflowers, but the trail was still fantastic anyway).
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Those colors are quite beautiful Mahesh and certainly worth the trip.thumb.gifthumb

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Beautiful work, Mahesh! You sure got a nice scene to work with here.

I still haven't been to Mt. Baker but I'm hoping to head up there really soon. I hope things keep looking like this for a bit longer!
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 13, 2009
    Wow. This photo is worth standing in the freezing water for. bowdown.gif Love the pink reflection. How long and difficult is the trek?

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited July 13, 2009
    annnna8888 wrote:
    Wow. This photo is worth standing in the freezing water for. bowdown.gif Love the pink reflection. How long and difficult is the trek?

Ana

Thanks, Ana! The hike is about 10 miles round trip and is moderately difficult, especially with snow on the trail, which makes for slow going. Lugging around your camera gear also drags you down a bit.

Mahesh
    edited July 13, 2009
    Jack and Danny,

Thank you kindly or the warm comments! :D

Mahesh
    edited July 14, 2009
    dseidman wrote:
    Beautiful work, Mahesh! You sure got a nice scene to work with here.

I still haven't been to Mt. Baker but I'm hoping to head up there really soon. I hope things keep looking like this for a bit longer!

Dan,

Forgot to mention...you want to get up there soon as the transition between ice/snow and water is happening really fast. That's the best time for reflections with the "cold" feel to the images. Good luck! thumb.gif

Mahesh
  • jaminphotojaminphoto Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Gorgeous shot and really beautiful color.

cheers,
    --ricardo