My son the Nikon pitchman

MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
edited July 19, 2009 in People
Went birding with my son at Ft. De Soto yesterday at sunrise. Quality time together even though the birding was slow. We followed up the morning photo shoot by picking a garbage on the beach with a local environmental group!

These were taken at 500mm. My new portrait focal length.eek.gif

Nikon says, "Start'em young"

589097128_tjnEr-XL.jpg

589096943_dYEGb-XL.jpg
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Comments

• FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    thumb.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • JwarJwar Registered Users Posts: 112 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    if that's his camera, are you looking for another son?:D
    Jay

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
    Kinky Friedman
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Jwar wrote:
    if that's his camera, are you looking for another son?:D

rolleyes1.gif

Oh MY, Mitchell - lovely shots and he's looking so terribly grown up with the Cool Dude shades. He seems to the manner born with the camera, too - when does he get his own outfit? :D
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited July 12, 2009
    Very cute shots! thumb.gif But you should tell him it's easier to see through the viewfinder without the sunglasses. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    And a very good pitchman he makes! Great shots! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited July 12, 2009
    Nice Mitchell! and what a cool dude you have there, looks like he is going to be a natural camera man! What lens is that? Impressive iloveyou.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Nice Mitchell! and what a cool dude you have there, looks like he is going to be a natural camera man! What lens is that? Impressive iloveyou.gif

Just what I was coming to ask....so what is the cool dude's camera set-up there?
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • jpendley77jpendley77 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    I don't know what I love better, the pictures (which are fantastic), or you raising another Nikonian. Great job on both accounts!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009

Sandy, he shoots a Nikon D200. That is a Nikkor 300mm, f4 AF-s lens. It looks impressive with the built in shade extended. It's really a nice, handholdable lens. Great for shooting birds. He needs the monopod because of the weight.
    edited July 13, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very cute shots! thumb.gif But you should tell him it's easier to see through the viewfinder without the sunglasses. rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Actually, on a bright, sunny beach, he was doing well with the shades in the viewfinder. The biggest problem is the difficulty looking at the LCD with polarized lenses.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    Nice shots Mitchell. He appears rugged, tough, and masculine in these shots. A bit of the "Marboro" man in there somewhere I believe.

...and LUCKY YOU for having at least one of your kids interested enough in photography to go out shooting together. My youngest assists me some....mostly hauling gear and aiming lights......she's not interested in shooting, but I still enjoy it when she wants to tag along. Still though....she requires a wage.ne_nau.gif
  • christinamaechristinamae Registered Users Posts: 484 Major grins
    edited July 13, 2009
    These shots are great! I think Nikon would love them! thumb.gif
  • RBrogenRBrogen Registered Users Posts: 1,518 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Terrific shots Mitch!!!! clap.gifclap.gif
    Randy Brogen, CPP
    www.brogen.com

Member: PPA , PPANE, PPAM & NAPP
  • D'BuggsD'Buggs Registered Users Posts: 958 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    clap.gifthumb.gifthumb.gif
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    He reminds my of my 16 yr old. Always wears a cap or skull cap, board shorts, rash shirt and most of all, always taking control of my camera!! Looks like you have another great photographer in the making there. Nice series.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    He's lucky to have some cool shot of him at this age. All I have are the stupid over dressed Olan Mills portraits that make anyone look like a nerd.

Great shots.
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited July 14, 2009
    Cool shots of a cute (handsome) gentleman. Nice split light on #1.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    ...and LUCKY YOU for having at least one of your kids interested enough in photography to go out shooting together. My youngest assists me some....mostly hauling gear and aiming lights......she's not interested in shooting, but I still enjoy it when she wants to tag along. Still though....she requires a wage.ne_nau.gif

I can't decide yet what mine thinks. She's sick to death of me TAKING pictures of her and is not wildly interested in assisting (unless I pay :D) , but she actually has a really nice eye when she has pressed the shutter in the past, and has once or twice professed a desire for a "real" camera. She starts middle school in 5 weeks (YIKES!) and has already announced she wants to be on the Yearbook team, and I think she has a sneaking desire to take photos; my evil plan is to acquire a second body within the next 6-8 months and then I can let her use the xsi with the 50 1.8 and see how she gets on.... :D We'll see!

How old is your son, Mitchell?
    edited July 15, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I can't decide yet what mine thinks. She's sick to death of me TAKING pictures of her and is not wildly interested in assisting (unless I pay :D) , but she actually has a really nice eye when she has pressed the shutter in the past, and has once or twice professed a desire for a "real" camera. She starts middle school in 5 weeks (YIKES!) and has already announced she wants to be on the Yearbook team, and I think she has a sneaking desire to take photos; my evil plan is to acquire a second body within the next 6-8 months and then I can let her use the xsi with the 50 1.8 and see how she gets on.... :D We'll see!

How old is your son, Mitchell?

My son will be 12 next month.

He's become quite adept with my spare camera (D200). Changes focus points on the fly and even uses EV compensation to avoid "blinkies" (blown highlights. He still has a way to go with composition and reading the available light.

My daughter was editor of the sports section of her middle school yearbook. Lots of work and fun. Unfortunately, I got drafted to take many of the sport photos.headscratch.gif
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited July 16, 2009
    Cool Shotsclap.gif

I start my daught out with the Fuji S3000.
    Then she ask to shoot with my Olympus C-8080.
    The she started shooting with my Olympus E-500.
    It want be long till she wants to use my D300.
    She will be 9 years old in November.
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited July 19, 2009
    Those are fantastic! And what great bonding time! I am just starting the whole "shooting together" thing with my son. He'll be 6 in October & loves taking pics! I've still got him on a p&s though! He's pretty good- actually he took the picture of me that's on my business card! I keep telling everyone that I breed second shooters for myself! lol Anyhow, I love how cool & calm your son looks- like he's saying to the camera "I know what I'm doing."! :)